COMPLETE:] Witch Stories by Eliza Lynn Linton -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Dear Brian, Sections 63:
Missing ending paragraph of this section which appears at the top of page 222: "Another rare and curious* black letter pamphlet...believing sixteenth held likely."
I have certainly done this in the past. Most recently, I missed 6 paragraphs :roll:
Best,
Christine
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

MoonLylith wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:03 am here is section 39

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_039_linton_128kb.mp3

17:32.6
Received and ready for PL!
Last edited by ncdidio on September 6th, 2023, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

Kitty wrote: September 6th, 2023, 5:46 am I could go on with 37. Miscellaneous

Sonia
I have assigned you section 37. Expires 11/6/2023.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

brownrottger wrote: September 6th, 2023, 8:33 am Dear Brian, Sections 63:
Missing ending paragraph of this section which appears at the top of page 222: "Another rare and curious* black letter pamphlet...believing sixteenth held likely."
I have certainly done this in the past. Most recently, I missed 6 paragraphs :roll:
Best,
Christine
You are so sweet and kind, Christine! Thank you for softening the blow. This was a case of me over-thinking the task at hand. Usually, I go the other way and fail to think matters through. :mrgreen:

When I looked at that paragraph, it appeared to me to be related to the story in section 064 of The Woman and the Bear, set at Dichet in Somersetshire rather than the one I read which was set in and aroound St. Osyth in Essex. I claim no knowledge of the geography of England and would fail miserably on that subject; I cheated and looked it up in my browser's search bar. I simply assumed that the two stories were unrelated at least by distance, though the events happened in roughly the same time frame.

It seemed to me that E. Lynn Linton sourced material for section 063 from W.W.'s (Darcy's) pamphlet by way of Reginald Scot's, The Discoverie of Witchcraft and conversely sourced material for section 064 from Ernest Edward Baker's True Dreadfull Discourse pamphlet (black-letter book).

Clearly, the fault is mine. I should have asked for clarification before proceeding on an assumption I made with respect to the paragraph in question i.e. that it probably 'belonged' with The Woman and the Bear story. I do see the issue in that the text has to be read somewhere. If it wasn't read in the recording of section 064 then it must be read with the text of section 063.

I'll do it happily!

Thank you,
A Secret Admirer

EDIT: Argh! Is it Dichet, Ditchet or Ditcheat? Phonetic spelling, anyone, please?!
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

BrianFullen wrote: September 6th, 2023, 9:58 am
brownrottger wrote: September 6th, 2023, 8:33 am Dear Brian, Sections 63:
Best,
Christine
You are so sweet and kind, Christine! Thank you for softening the blow. This was a case of me over-thinking the task at hand. Usually, I go the other way and fail to think matters through. :mrgreen:

When I looked at that paragraph, it appeared to me to be related to the story in section 064 of The Woman and the Bear, set at Dichet in Somersetshire rather than the one I read which was set in and aroound St. Osyth in Essex. I claim no knowledge of the geography of England and would fail miserably on that subject; I cheated and looked it up in my browser's search bar. I simply assumed that the two stories were unrelated at least by distance, though the events happened in roughly the same time frame.

It seemed to me that E. Lynn Linton sourced material for section 063 from W.W.'s (Darcy's) pamphlet by way of Reginald Scot's, The Discoverie of Witchcraft and conversely sourced material for section 064 from Ernest Edward Baker's True Dreadfull Discourse pamphlet (black-letter book).

Clearly, the fault is mine. I should have asked for clarification before proceeding on an assumption I made with respect to the paragraph in question i.e. that it probably 'belonged' with The Woman and the Bear story. I do see the issue in that the text has to be read somewhere. If it wasn't read in the recording of section 064 then it must be read with the text of section 063.

I'll do it happily!

Thank you,
A Secret Admirer

EDIT: Argh! Is it Dichet, Ditchet or Ditcheat? Phonetic spelling, anyone, please?!
I have no clue as to the phonetics of that word. TBH this author does put some text before the title of the section. Thus, I could be wrong here. I just assumed since it referred to another black- letter pamphlet. So we should probably have the BC chime in here before adding it to this section?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

brownrottger wrote: September 6th, 2023, 11:50 am

I have no clue as to the phonetics of that word. TBH this author does put some text before the title of the section. Thus, I could be wrong here. I just assumed since it referred to another black- letter pamphlet. So we should probably have the BC chime in here before adding it to this section?
Oh, please, I was not suggesting anyone was wrong. I just made a choice and I don't mind unmaking it. When I read that paragraph I thought it served more than one purpose. First, I think it could be interpreted as a transitional one between the stories. In that sense, it could be seen to belong in either. What turned the matter in my mind was the citation of the 'other pamphlet. I think that's the second purpose. I think ELL was using this wording and its placement as a sort of bibliography and I think that's fine. I mean she wasn't really posing this book as some scholarly, historical treatment of the subject matter. To her credit, I believe she was crediting the source of the material on which she drew. Again, I should have asked for clarification before I recorded or, if not then, before the upload. If anything, I apologize for dumping the matter on you without any explanation. Still friends? I hope!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

BrianFullen wrote: September 6th, 2023, 12:15 pm

Oh, please, I was not suggesting anyone was wrong. I just made a choice and I don't mind unmaking it. When I read that paragraph I thought it served more than one purpose. First, I think it could be interpreted as a transitional one between the stories. In that sense, it could be seen to belong in either. What turned the matter in my mind was the citation of the 'other pamphlet. I think that's the second purpose. I think ELL was using this wording and its placement as a sort of bibliography and I think that's fine. I mean she wasn't really posing this book as some scholarly, historical treatment of the subject matter. To her credit, I believe she was crediting the source of the material on which she drew. Again, I should have asked for clarification before I recorded or, if not then, before the upload. If anything, I apologize for dumping the matter on you without any explanation. Still friends? I hope!
I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I was anything but your friend always and forever. I think this is a really good discussion and since there is a question Nicole the BC should decide which chapter this paragraph belongs to. I am sure she will be along soon to let us know.
Your friend forever!
Christine
GalenaRayven

Post by GalenaRayven »

ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

brownrottger wrote: September 6th, 2023, 12:23 pm
Hello friends. I think since section 64 is already PL OK the paragraph should go with section 63... let's call it a teaser trailer for the next section. That's what I've been doing on the sections I record!

Also, I found this pronunciation example set here for Dichet? I say go with the "Google UK English Male" pronunciation since that's where the author is from: https://www.nameslook.com/dichet. Kind of like "Ditch-it"?
Last edited by ncdidio on September 6th, 2023, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

GalenaRayven wrote: September 6th, 2023, 12:26 pm Section 22 is ready for PL! Time is 4:30

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_22_linton_128kb.mp3
Thanks! But can you please change the name to 3 numbers? aka "witchstories_022_linton_128kb"
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

ncdidio wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:19 pm
Hello friends. I think since section 64 is already PL OK the paragraph should go with section 63... let's call it a teaser trailer for the next section. That's what I've been doing on the sections I record!

Also, I found this pronunciation example set here for Dichet? I say go with the "Google UK English Male" pronunciation since that's where the author is from: https://www.nameslook.com/dichet. Kind of like "Ditch-it"?
Perfect! Thank you, I was gonna with Da' CHEAT! Kinda like a New Yarwka who dint like his hand in a cahd game.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

BrianFullen wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:45 pm
ncdidio wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Perfect! Thank you, I was gonna with Da' CHEAT! Kinda like a New Yarwka who dint like his hand in a cahd game.
:lol:
ncdidio

Post by ncdidio »

adr6090 wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:57 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/witchstories_057_linton_128kb.mp3 time 04:43
Here is section 057.
April
Received and ready for PL!
MoonLylith

Post by MoonLylith »

I'd next like to claim 71 The Witches of Lancashire