problem using truncate silence in audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Hello all!
I am having difficulty with my latest recording. During editing, the last thing I do before saving an audio file, for the last time, and uploading, is apply truncate silence. I have done this 4 or 5 times and it has worked beautifully. The settings are the same, however, with this last file, once I apply truncate silence, I cannot play the file. I've tried using the play button and the space bar...I've clicked within the file at different places...it will not play. Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks!

Martha
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I have never seen this particular problem, but I have seen Audacity act in a (different) bizarre way after accidentally entering some sequence of special characters. If you can save the file then I suggest you export it as a flac file, then get out of Audacity, get back in and load the flac file you just saved. That should give you your file with audacity in its default startup configuration. Then you can try playing the file. With luck it will play normally and you can see if the truncate silence effect needs to be run.
Tom Penn
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Penumbra wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 9:55 am I have never seen this particular problem, but I have seen Audacity act in a (different) bizarre way after accidentally entering some sequence of special characters. If you can save the file then I suggest you export it as a flac file, then get out of Audacity, get back in and load the flac file you just saved. That should give you your file with audacity in its default startup configuration. Then you can try playing the file. With luck it will play normally and you can see if the truncate silence effect needs to be run.
Thank you so much for your help! I will give this a try!

Martha