Book hunt - does it ring a bell?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

A friend of mine is trying to remember the title of a book and author that they had to read at School in the 80s, when they were around 12 years old.

So this is not my memory, but I will try to describe what they've told me they remember from the book, which had illustrations:

It was about a family, father mother and at least two children, boy and girl. It might have been set in the 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s because they travelled cross country from the east coast to the west coast in a car pulling a small camper trailer, and the car and camper were old style, with rounded front parts over the wheels, and the camper had a rounded top.
While travelling, they stopped at Plymouth Massachusetts to see Plymouth Rock. Then my friend thinks they stopped at Cape Hatteras North Carolina, he remembers it talking about the Cape and a light house where the children were out on the beach during a storm. Then the Ozarks; my friend remembers one of the words on the school word sheet they had to work on for this chapter was "cornpone". The book ended with the family arriving at a relative's house on the west coast, with the last illustration showing the children running towards the house.
Anngella

Post by Anngella »

Hello,

Could it be, "Henry Reed's Journey" by Keith Robertson?
Thanks!
Angela
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

from the above post:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/375950.Henry_Reed_s_Journey?from_search=true&from_srp=true

This one sounds like it begins in California rather than ending there, but maybe your friend is remembering it wrong. :)

EDIT: One of the reviews says that the narrative skips the part from Missouri to New Jersey. :hmm:
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

My friend says no unfortunately. The book he's looking for focused on the family as a whole, and not on a singular person as the main character.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I posted this in the Facebook group. One response:
If you go to https://community.abebooks.com/s/book-sleuth and post this description in the children's book forum, you might strike lucky. It is an incredible crowd-sourcing tool for tracking down forgotten titles!
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yep! It's the second post in the recent activity :D
"30s,40s,50s,60s(?) Family drives cross country pulling a camper."

My friend had posted there earlier, and I offered to try our luck here.