Exceptionally slow downloads last 3 hours

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Greetings everybody -

Am I the only person experiencing ridiculously slow download times since noon Eastern (that is, for three hours).
•• 5 minutes for a 15 minute file
•• 45 minutes and going for a book, ca. 70MB

Downloads using other devices or from other websites don't suggest any patterns.

Dare I submit as a probable sequitur that there's something up with the LibriVox server?
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Downloading completed works seems slow to me today too. I'm assuming that 15-minute file was a section of a completed work?

In this case, the good (and bad) news is that it isn't the LibriVox server that's having trouble, but probably one of Archive.org's many servers. Good because we don't have to fix it ourselves, bad because all we can do is wait. I don't know what's up today, but here's a blog post Archive.org released after a bigger slowdown earlier this year:
https://blog.archive.org/2023/05/29/let-us-serve-you-but-dont-bring-us-down/

As a quick explanation of why browsing LibriVox books results in talking to Archive.org: the LibriVox server runs our forum, stores the uploads for works in progress, and displays a catalog of all completed works... but those completed works get sent to Archive.org as part of the cataloging process, so the download links all point there.
Archive.org hosts the files, which is part of their mission statement, and we don't need a monstrously large server with full-time tech staff to manage it. Or a whole fleet of servers around the world, which is probably what Archive.org has. When Archive is slow, you can be sure somebody's working on it. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.