Beethoven in His Own Words Does Not Download for Me

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
CrashC

Post by CrashC »

The Beethoven book (whole book zip file download via the button) on this page

https://librivox.org/beethoven-the-man-and-the-artist-as-revealed-in-his-own-words-by-ludwig-van-beethoven/

Fails to download for me. The download works until it has reached size 78.2 MB, then hangs. This is on a linux fedora 38 system. I can guess that the file is somehow not properly terminated but I don't know. I have just simultaneously pulled down 11 other recently added non-fiction books by the identical sort of process on the same computer without difficulty.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I just downloaded it using Chrome in Windows. Had to resume the download once, but otherwise seems to be complete.
Jo
CrashC

Post by CrashC »

I used Chrome on linux, too. I think that it was the latest version of Chrome, Version 117.0.5927.0, downloaded just a few days ago. I just re-downloaded the same book from https://librivox.org/search?q=beethoven%20his%20own%20words&search_form=advanced. This time it also hung on my computer, but it reported the full size of 82 MB for the unfinished crdownload file. I renamed the file to a *.zip file and it unzipped 7 chapters for me. Either my chrome has a problem or something on the librivox side of the connection is failing to properly signal the end of the file. I can't tell.

Here is another thing I just noticed about the audiobooks in the batch I just downloaded. Among the dozen or so books I downloaded were nonfiction collections 92, 93, and 94 from the recent releases page. Each collection, using the same button as for the Beethoven book, comes down as its own separate zip file. Unzipping these files give me a separate directory for each book. Copying the directories to my Sandisk mp3 player (a slightly changed model that just showed up as available a few months back) gives me separate directories in the Sandisks memory for each or the books; these I can see with my file manager that I used to copy them. But when I use the Sandisk to see what books I can listen to, I have just 1 book named "Short Nonfiction Colle", and that book contains three chapter 01's, three chapter 02's, etc. I can stand that because the chapters are pretty much standalone in these collections, but I think that maybe sometimes the collections may split excerpts from a particular source into 2 or more consecutive chapters. From the similar problems I had with the librivox Hay and Nicolai history of Lincoln that was in four volumes, I can guess that it would be a good idea if the first 20 or so characters of the metadata titles of librivox audiobooks not be duplicated by the first 20 or so characters of the metadata titles in other librivox zip files into which other audiobooks are packaged.

I realize that this might not be the easiest change for librivox to make, and that the problem is likely one of multiple standards for mp3 data and regrettable variations in what the various hardware and software makers implement, but I hope that librivox can at least keep in mind what happens to various users who are trying to respectfully appreciate all of what librivox does.

Thanks
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Interesting. I run Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS. Browser Firefox 115.02

The download failed for me in the same way. It downloads but at the end says "failed". :hmm:
I have never had a Librivox download "fail" like this before. I can't go to any file; it has indeed "failed" to download.

:hmm:
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

The zip file is in my downloads folder. But if I unzip it says:
failed to open archive. Not a zip archive.

This could also be a security/malware issue. I watched a video a few weeks ago where, especially in Windows, you can make .exe files look like zip files. It could be a malicious file.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

All of the zip files are automatically generated by the Internet Archive using the derived 64 kbps MP3 files. I cannot imagine they have malware.

You (whoever) could try downloading directly from Internet Archive, and use the 128 kbps files, or the VBR files (or the 64 kbps files again, but that's the exact same link as on our catalog page, so the result should be no different).

Or you could use a downloader plug-in and download all the 64 kbps files as a batch rather than in a zip.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart