Wrong pronunciation -- discovered belatedly!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Does this happen to anyone else? I just discovered I mispronounced a word that occurs in not one but two (!) completed sections. :evil: I like to think I'm diligent in researching pronunciations and references, but this one got by me!

It's the word ''trow." I pronounced it to rhyme with "cow" but I've just learned it rhymes with "flow." I've only ever heard it spoken one time, in the Cole Porter lyric, "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" --

Brush up your Shakespeare
And they'll all kow-tow --
(I trow!) --
And they'll all kow-tow.

-- so I didn't even think to look it up. Serves me right for using a comedy lyric as a reference!

Since the project's not yet completed, I considered re-editing the files and asking the DPL if she would kindly do a spot-check....but then I figured, it only occurs three times, take it as a learning experience and move on.

Does anyone else have a similar experience, and what did you do?

Grrrr,
Patrick
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Based on the content, I probably would have made the same "mistake."

I've actually done the same thing a number of years ago with row (like throw), something you do in a boat, vs. row (like cow), an argument.

I'd never knew about the latter pronunciation, so treated it like the former, in the first of my Baseball Joe books. I just chalked it up to a pronunciation/accent/dialect difference (and the PLs didn't catch it), and left it as it was. Going forward, I used the proper pronunciation.

I guess the answer to the question (since the project is not yet completed), is how much imperfection are you comfortable with? :D
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

DACSoft wrote: June 18th, 2023, 10:15 am Based on the content, I probably would have made the same "mistake."

I've actually done the same thing a number of years ago with row (like throw), something you do in a boat, vs. row (like cow), an argument.

I'd never knew about the latter pronunciation, so treated it like the former, in the first of my Baseball Joe books. I just chalked it up to a pronunciation/accent/dialect difference (and the PLs didn't catch it), and left it as it was. Going forward, I used the proper pronunciation.

I guess the answer to the question (since the project is not yet completed), is how much imperfection are you comfortable with? :D
Thanks for sharing!

I did find one dictionary site online (Collins) that gave the "cow" pronunciation as an alternate, so maybe I'll console myself with that (-- though I'm inclined to discount it because it stands absolutely alone in giving that pronunciation.)

I've done the edits but haven't submitted them....still considering whether obvious edits in a file are more distracting than a mispronounced word. :hmm:

Cheers!
Patrick
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

This happens to me constantly.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I just accept that English being an international language means I accept that there are many valid ways to pronounce things and that people who think the way that they use it is the correct way are usually just ignorant. And there was a review I loved that asked how dare we have a British accent reading that much loved American writer Charles Dickens.

Anne
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

It’s not the foreign languages that trip me up, it’s English.

Words like aggrandizement, formidable, and diocese.

I’m American so I use a dictionary app with American pronunciation, but I’m consulting it constantly.

I also, use Forvo and YouTube videos to hear words pronounced. I do a lot of prep, but as you said, it’s the words you think you already know how to pronounce which are your downfall.

I often listen to my own history recordings as an adjunct to my studies and I’m always cringing because of one mistake or another.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson