Background noise during speech, but not in between? [No longer relevant]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

Winnifred wrote: July 31st, 2023, 1:37 pm
AgnesRobert wrote: July 30th, 2023, 6:02 pm
the mic I use is a blue yeti it has a gain knob on the back which I have been using to some extent (I still have a ton of noise when using it but not completely unreasonable, I don't turn it up?down? the direction where there is less noise cause then things just get weird and bad), I also have it set to the pattern where it is getting noise from the front of the mic, and have been having it on a boom arm I'd say about 10 inches from my mouth and slightly up and to the side with a pop filter
I have a blue yeti too. I set the gain knob when I first started doing recordings and haven’t touched it since. My impression was that once you get it to the right place, it shouldn’t need adjusting. I too have lots of background noise (construction, drilling, a river, crows, my fridge) but I try to record when those are at a minimum, so I don’t have to stop and start.

I have my mic on a stand beside my mouth without a pop filter, but only about 6 inches away. If it were 10 inches away, I’d have to speak too loudly for my comfort. I wonder if that’s an issue (having to crank your recording volume so high that it’s causing some kind of weird reverberation)?
I don't think this is my particular issue, when I use loudness normalization it is more often than not bringing the loudness down a little. I used to have a hard time getting it to a high enough level with out being right up on the mic, but I believe my vocal warm ups have fixed this (as when I try to record and haven't done them recently enough I once again have to be right on that mic). but maybe me being too loud was some part of the problem. but as I have already uploaded the corrections we shall not know. thank you very much for helping
msfry

Post by msfry »

To all participants: At least Agnes got a few pointers from this exercise, and the "relevance" for me is learning a better way to keep things relevant!!!!! :mrgreen: :shock: :evil: :wink: :mrgreen: