COMPLETE: Sarrasine by Honore de Balzac - SW/ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pablosecca

Post by pablosecca »

This project is complete and all files are now available here:
http://librivox.org/sarrasine-by-honore-de-balzac/

I'll be reading this fascinating novella by the man himself; oops, I already read it. I'll upload it to my server and let people critique.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello pablosecca,

welcome to librivix and congratulation that you have already finished a reading for librivox.
I presume it is this text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1826 ,
translated by Clara Bell and others?

Did you put the librivox disclaimer at the beginning of your recording? You can read this and other advices at the sticky in this forum or follow the direct link http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717 .

I will meta-coordinate your work and take the files you finished. You can either store them on your own server (if you have one) or upload them via yousendit.com and post the link in the forum.

We do not criticise your work in a sense that we rate it from "good work" to "badly read". Everyone has his one style of reading and a judgement about that is too subjective. We have a "listeners wanted" section, where we listen if there are technical problems in the file or some obviously unintended mistakes in the reading (e.g. repeated paragraphs or something that was intended to be edited out). Just post a note there. Nevertheless, if you explicitly ask, you will get some advices to improve your reading.

If you have any questions, please ask.
Thanks for contributing, :D

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
pablosecca

Post by pablosecca »

Hello and thanks Rainer--

I haven't added the disclaimer but I will append it to the work. My only question is this: the disclaimer seems to release all rights; while I certainly want the recording to be available to anyone for free (on this site and others) for private use, I dont want it used for commercial purposes. Is there another disclaimer available or what can I do?

PS
temac

Post by temac »

pablosecca wrote:...while I certainly want the recording to be available to anyone for free (on this site and others) for private use, I dont want it used for commercial purposes. Is there another disclaimer available or what can I do?
From a strictly legal point of view, something is either in the public domain or it isn't. Once it is, you cannot dictate how it is to be used by anyone. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.

Folks who want to maintain some control over their work, can keep the copyright and allow others to use it for free or not, according to the the proposed use. In every case, however, the user must request permission. If this is the tack you want to take with your recordings, you have every right to do so, but best not donate them to LibriVox.

I hope this answers your question.
kri

Post by kri »

Well said Temac.

By giving your recording to Librivox, you're releasing it completely to the public, without exception. This means that people can even sell your recording if they want. Hopefully if we find anyone doing that we can make sure potential customers realize they can get it for free instead, however such is the way. I think this was something that was decided very early on as an important piece of the philosophy we've sort of cultivated here at LibriVox.

While what Raynr said about critiquing is true, we won't refuse a request of critique. Everyone has their own preferences. Some welcome it, some don't :)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

I'm just cleaning out the Listeners Wanted forum.... below is the feedback from your posting there, which I am now deleting as it appears to be complete, but wanted to be certain that you had seen this feedback:
pablosecca Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:00 pm Post subject: Listeners Found -- Sarrasine

Hello all-- (I hope I'm doing this right)

I've finished editing and adjusting my recording of Balzac's Sarrasine. Would anyone care to listen to it and scan for errors or other problems. The audio levels in a later section were a bit off, and I had to artificially amplify them. See if you can detect where that was, and more specifically, if it's a problem.

As to my reading, I'm happy to hear general feedback. I tried to take a careful yet natural approach, maintaining good diction; upon listening to it I find my diction a bit blurry at times, though adequate; when I do another recording (and I will) I must take extra care.

Please keep in mind two that this work (this translation) has more than one French or Italian word or phrase, but nothing that's crucial to the understanding of the work.

Cheers
Pablo S.

This file is about 80mb, and the readinig is about an hour and a half. Should I have broken the file down to smaller sizes...?

----------

kri Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:55 pm

We generally recommend files stay at about an hour or less, but this hour and a half may not be a problem. If you don't mind taking the time to split it in half in a way that makes sense, that's fine. However, I think this might be OK.

I may have time to listen to this later, however don't committ me to it yet. Since you want feedback, you may want to do things differently, but usually in Listeners wanted someone will come along and post a notice saying they'll listen to your file. When they do you can edit your post to put the name of the person who's going to listen next to the file, then change the post's title to Listener Found. However, if you want several people to listen and critique, do it however it works best Smile

----------

nomenphile Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:19 am

Both the recording and the reading sound good. Your diction seems to me to be sufficiently clear throughout. If you were going to change something I would suggest that you read somewhat slower to give listeners a little more time to enjoy the language. However, it is perfectly easy to follow the plot of the story as you have read it.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Well it seems that pablosecca is uncomfortable with releasing his performance into the Public Domain. Frankly, if he feels uncomfortable with that, then he should not do it; each of us has the right to decide how we wish our performances to be used.

But I'd like to hear this, so I'm going to pick it up and read it for LibriVox. Should be done by the end of the weekend. Wish me luck!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

It's now read and edited. An hour and thirty nine minutes worth, and a great story to boot!

It'll be uploaded Monday morning when I get to work.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Good luck! Oops, too late... :) Well done, Chip! Thanks for doing this one.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
raynr

Post by raynr »

And I will download it when I get to work. Thanks Chip!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Here it is. I've also posted this over in the Listeners Wanted thread. I'm PRETTY sure there aren't any errors - which is the surest sign that someone else should listen! ;)

Sarrasine, by Honore de Balzac
http://ChipDoc.com/LibriVox/sarrasine_balzac.mp3
90.6Mb/1:39:03
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
raynr

Post by raynr »

Thanks so much for stepping in. I'm downloading it right now.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

It actually turned out fairly well. It's the sort of story which, though odd, isn't nearly as shocking when read in the 21st century as it was in the 19th. Please let me know if there are any re-dos or big gaps or anything so I can fix them and re-upload it.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
raynr

Post by raynr »

Finally, this work is liberated as an audiobook in the Public Domain.
Thanks to all who contributed. Great story and great work!!!