ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Winnifred wrote: July 17th, 2023, 3:36 pm I've been meaning to attend another one of these sessions for ages now, but something always seems to come up to prevent me on those first Mondays. I do hope they will continue, and I do promise to make it to one soon! It'll be easier when the cold weather sets in and I'm not tempted out into the sunshine...

Cheers,
There is nothing special about 11 a.m., except that I'm up and alert at that time. I've asked for suggestions for other times but gotten not much feedback. You clearly need to be not tempted by sunshine!, I by dinner or my pillow. All monthly clubs pick a time and stick to it, which seems to work. No time seems satisfactory world-wide. It's a conundrum. :(
loon

Post by loon »

You can also set up a backup host, who will have the authority to start the session. You need - I think - the email address to make someone the backup host.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

loon wrote: July 17th, 2023, 6:37 pm You can also set up a backup host, who will have the authority to start the session. You need - I think - the email address to make someone the backup host.
With my Zoom Classroom there is no need for a backup host.
It's very simple.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 17th, 2023, 5:18 pm Obviously the possibility of interlopers barging in on one of our zoom ClassRooms occurred to me. And I have Cautioned my buddies to hold the link close to their chests. However, because these zoom classrooms have no names/identities, I figured that there would be little likelihood of freeloaders finding the link.

In three years there have been no interlopers, so "so far so good". But, if a problem develops, I'll "trap door" the entry into the room. That's no big deal.
How would "interlopers" find 4 or 5 old school chums, compared to the many thousands of people who have access to a published "non hosted" Zoom account # on our forum? There is no comparison between the two scenarios as I see it, so it IS A BIG DEAL.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Posted in error
Last edited by williamjones on July 18th, 2023, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

williamjones wrote: July 18th, 2023, 4:35 am You are against my solution and casting about for arguments against it without regard for its utility.
I will mention it no more.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 18th, 2023, 4:35 am You are against my solution and casting about for arguments against it without regard for its utility.
I will mention it no more.
I am not casting about, William. That's silly. I can see it's utility, but am also considering the very real "private' vs "public" aspects of an open, unhosted Zoom account accessible 24/7. I see the utility of more control. But by all means, let the discussion continue.

How about this idea. Post your Account ID# in your Signature with an invite to meet up there at a time specific every day. That could produce some interesting results.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Bill - are you willing to have strangers, possibly nefarious ones, hijack and use your discussion room? It could be someone not connected with LV at all, who happens to search the webiverse and find the link posted here, then uses it for... well, use your imagination.

If this is inconvenient or undesirable, then we can drop the idea.

If it's no big deal, then proceed.

You did say that you told your other group to keep the info private, but now propose to make it public. I think the yellow caution flag is being waved here, making sure you realize the possible consequences.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Tricia,
Thank you for your interest and comments.

A couple of comments:
1. There is no search in the web-iverse which will disclose these LINKS directly
2. Your and other's comments have brought to light that the problem of intruders in a Zoom conversation has always been present and SURELY Zoom has incorporated a method to secure Zoom conversations.
3. Last night I found it! It's a pure Zoom solution with no Bill Jones coding involved.

Once I have tested and proved this trap door security measure I will reply to you via PM later this morning.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 19th, 2023, 5:31 am Tricia,
Thank you for your interest and comments.

A couple of comments:
1. There is no search in the web-iverse which will disclose these LINKS directly
2. Your and other's comments have brought to light that the problem of intruders in a Zoom conversation has always been present and SURELY Zoom has incorporated a method to secure Zoom conversations.
3. Last night I found it! It's a pure Zoom solution with no Bill Jones coding involved.

Once I have tested and proved this trap door security measure I will reply to you via PM later this morning.
My concern didn't factor in the web-i-verse, just the considerable number of people (members and outsiders both) who can and do peruse the LV forum. We can't vouch for anyone not to abuse a non-hosted Zoom ID#, whoever owns it.

As to Zoom solutions, they have an Admit feature, which can be turned off by the host so anyone with the ID# may join. I try to remember to turn Admit off once our meeting commences, because it's hard to remember to check the sidebar to see if anyone wants in. So far nobody has crashed the party.

Once you and Tricia have privately discussed what should be done, I hope you'll share your conclusions here. Others may wish to have input as well. For example what about the idea of an informal neighborhood style "Zoom cafe" where Librivoxers can pop in and out from, say 6-9 a.m. and 6-9 p.m. every day, see who's there, say hi, talk about anything at all (unhosted, unmonitored and unrecorded), like at a local pub or coffee shop. It has intriguing possibilities!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Will there by an August first Monday Zoom session this upcoming week? I think I'll actually be able to join!
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

MaryinArkansas wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 3:28 pm Will there by an August first Monday Zoom session this upcoming week? I think I'll actually be able to join!
I'm hoping there is! I'm also trying to make sure I have the time set aside. :)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
msfry

Post by msfry »

I certainly hope so! I'll post a notice tonight or tomorrow, and get my honeybun recipe out, and check with Mark to make sure he's coming. He's supposed to teach us some more stuff, and Bill is supposed to demo something about word counts. I also had something cool I wanted to share with ya'll, but I can't remember what it is at the moment. :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:45 am I certainly hope so! I'll post a notice tonight or tomorrow, and get my honeybun recipe out, and check with Mark to make sure he's coming. He's supposed to teach us some more stuff, and Bill is supposed to demo something about word counts. I also had something cool I wanted to share with ya'll, but I can't remember what it is at the moment. :D
I'm sure it had something to do with sweet chili. :wink:
Maybe Phil should do one on making those wire thingies. :wink:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:54 am I'm sure it had something to do with sweet chili. :wink:
Maybe Phil should do one on making those wire thingies. :wink:
Of course, that too! But now I remember -- it has to do with Pronunciation Help tips.