ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
smike

Post by smike »

Will there be a meeting today?
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
msfry

Post by msfry »

smike wrote: July 17th, 2023, 7:44 am Will there be a meeting today?
Next 1st Mondays meeting will be August 7th, unless someone else wants to hold an impromptu get together like Phil did last Monday and I hear a few people attended. I didn't even know about it til a few days later.
smike

Post by smike »

msfry wrote: July 17th, 2023, 8:04 am Phil did last Monday and I hear a few people attended. I didn't even know about it til a few days later.
Neither did I. Oh well. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

smike wrote: July 17th, 2023, 8:10 am
msfry wrote: July 17th, 2023, 8:04 am Phil did last Monday and I hear a few people attended. I didn't even know about it til a few days later.
Neither did I. Oh well. :)
When the planned session could not be held, after about 20 minutes I just opened a new one and put a post in the Zoom Discussion thread. No wonder you didn't know about it!. Very impromptu. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

A small number of LV regulars *did* attend Phil's "rump session" of the LV first Monday zoom session.
It was a good'n !!

Subsequently, I offered to MSFRY a total solution to the problem of her (i.e., the "Host") being unable to get Zoom working on her computer.

In the computer industry, this is known as having a Single Point of Failure.

My solution costs no money and would require ONLY using a permanent Link (which I will provide) to join the zoom session. No new passwords, no waiting till the "Host" arrives, anyone can just go to the link and Bob's Your Uncle! - the LV 1st Monday zoom session is in session for all who wish to attend.

She is a very busy woman. I hope that explains why I've gotten no response yet.
Last edited by williamjones on July 17th, 2023, 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Posted in error.
Last edited by williamjones on July 17th, 2023, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Sounds like a good and workable way to go. Please explain how we would do this?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

philchenevert wrote: July 17th, 2023, 11:07 am Sounds like a good and workable way to go. Please explain how we would do this?
Hi, Phil!

I created a special "Zoom Classroom" which is active, 24/7. Anyone, and I DO mean anyone, who knows the link may enter this "room" and initiate the Zoom session. There is no special designated "Host", just a First-to-Enter. I think there is a 4-hour time limit, but I've not verified that.

I created this "room" to have a regular zoom chat with some of my high school-era friends. Initially, one of the group would have to open a Zoom session using his USCD Med School Faculty account. We all meet at 11am EST every Tuesday, which is rather early for him. Occasionally he would miss the start time for the rest of us and so we were all unable to start the zoom session. We were locked out! So, I developed this 24/7 Zoom Room so that anyone can "open" the room and the others can join as they're able.

There is absolutely no difference in the User Experience when using the Zoom Room. The only change in procedure is to begin using the link I'll send.

I am willing to share that link with Michele to use for the 1st Monday Zoom sessions if she wishes. But, maybe she doesn't want that. It's up to her.
Last edited by williamjones on July 17th, 2023, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 17th, 2023, 9:19 am She is a very busy woman. I hope that explains why I've gotten no response yet.
Yes, I'm generally busy, my brain is often stretched to the limit, and I don't have time to figure out every new idea. I'm happy to (and still learning how to) host announced meetings where I can organize topics ahead of time, start and end at a particular time, which I can record, etc. Don't know what happened to the last meeting. I've reinstalled Zoom and it appears to be working now.

However, anyone else who wants to run a Zoom session is certainly welcome to. The Announcement Thread is open to anyone now, so feel free to post your meetings there. Or maybe we should abandon that thread and just post meeting announcements here.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 17th, 2023, 3:03 pm
williamjones wrote: July 17th, 2023, 9:19 am She is a very busy woman. I hope that explains why I've gotten no response yet.
Yes, I'm generally busy, my brain is often stretched to the limit, and I don't have time to figure out every new idea. I'm happy to (and still learning how to) host announced meetings where I can organize topics ahead of time, start and end at a particular time, which I can record, etc. Don't know what happened to the last meeting. I've reinstalled Zoom and it appears to be working now.

However, anyone else who wants to run a Zoom session is certainly welcome to. The Announcement Thread is open to anyone now, so feel free to post your meetings there. Or maybe we should abandon that thread and just post meeting announcements here.
I would be highly disappointed if for any reason you were to abandon these 1st Monday Zoom sessions, Michele. You've recognized the value in them from the very start and you do a great job with them. You care about them and that means a lot to all of us.

I am suggesting only that you head off future snafus by using my Zoom Classroom and thereby ensure your presentations are always available.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I've been meaning to attend another one of these sessions for ages now, but something always seems to come up to prevent me on those first Mondays. I do hope they will continue, and I do promise to make it to one soon! It'll be easier when the cold weather sets in and I'm not tempted out into the sunshine...

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Bill. You have created a classroom zoom. Is this link unique to you? or can anyone with zoom request such a classroom? If one of would like to try this since it sure sounds nice and easy, would we be using the same 'classroom' as you for your other group? Or can I make my own? I could look this up but figured I'd ask you. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

philchenevert wrote: July 17th, 2023, 4:30 pm Bill. You have created a classroom zoom. Is this link unique to you? or can anyone with zoom request such a classroom? If one of would like to try this since it sure sounds nice and easy, would we be using the same 'classroom' as you for your other group? Or can I make my own? I could look this up but figured I'd ask you. :D
Phil,
When I tried to set up this Zoom "Classroom" with my own needs, I needed help from a Zoom techie.
I'm not sure that I remember what all I had to do to get it in its present form.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 17th, 2023, 2:05 pm
philchenevert wrote: July 17th, 2023, 11:07 am Sounds like a good and workable way to go. Please explain how we would do this?
Hi, Phil!

I created a special "Zoom Classroom" which is active, 24/7. Anyone, and I DO mean anyone, who knows the link may enter this "room" and initiate the Zoom session. There is no special designated "Host", just a First-to-Enter. I think there is a 4-hour time limit, but I've not verified that.

I created this "room" to have a regular zoom chat with some of my high school-era friends.
There is absolutely no difference in the User Experience when using the Zoom Room. The only change in procedure is to begin using the link I'll send.

I am willing to share that link with Michele to use for the 1st Monday Zoom sessions if she wishes. But, maybe she doesn't want that. It's up to her.
I see a big difference between you and your old school chums, any of whom can host, and us with any number of strangers (including non-members) who peruse our forums who could just hop into your Zoom Room any time they want, conduct their own meetings, etc. Seems like a great opportunity for freeloaders to take advantage, so I would not recommend you to post your address here. Requiring a host to open the meeting has its advantages, but as we saw recently, its disadvantages (but that has only happened once in 3 years).

You could set up an invitation-only group to whom you send the Zoom Room code (but don't post here), and pick whom you'd like to include. That seems kinda "sticky" for our purposes, but it would work great for a defined, exclusive group like our MC's, who could hop on and share photos, videos, links, gossip face to face, vote on stuff, etc. If they haven't done it yet, they probably should.

I'll be listening as the idea develops.
Last edited by msfry on July 17th, 2023, 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Obviously the possibility of interlopers barging in on one of our zoom ClassRooms occurred to me. And I have Cautioned my buddies to hold the link close to their chests. However, because these zoom classrooms have no names/identities, I figured that there would be little likelihood of freeloaders finding the link.

In three years there have been no interlopers, so "so far so good". But, if a problem develops, I'll "trap door" the entry into the room. That's no big deal.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison