[POETRY] Anthology of Magazine Verse for 1915, by William Stanley Braithwaite - tg

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Usually I would wait until I get a response from you before I would do a proof listening on this, but because I'd like to see you get off to a good start, I've put together some PL notes for you. I few of them might seem a little picky, but we do need to be more precise with poetry because each word is chosen by the poet for its meaning, cadence, sometimes rhyme, and nuance. I've ignored several other places where there are minor issues, so these are just the ones that I think really need correcting.

Overall there is quite a strong background hum. You can use the Noise Reduction feature in Audacity to limit this. We have some good tutorials on this, or I can walk you through it.

At the beginning, we need ½-1 second of silence, I’m finding not even ½. This buffer is needed because players will cut off a bit at the front and your beginning could be lost.

0:33 slight stumble on “I hear a heavy calling” so the first four words are undistinguishable

0:38 slight stumble on, “Aweary of its restless, flowing motion.”

0:41 Text: “I am choked with sand” I hear, “I’m choked with sand” (importance to the cadence of the poem)

0:56 Text: “and a stone above my head” I hear, “a stone above my head” (and is omitted)

1:00 Text: “and my babe is on her knew” again, I hear the word “and” omitted

(also this portion from about 0:54 – 1:00 shows marked clipping, which happens when you over drive your audio and part of your voice is lost, or clipped, as evidenced by the flattening of your wave form. This isn’t crucial, but something to keep in mind when recording).

1:13-14 slight hesitation and long gap

1:37 Text: “For my grave next hers,” I hear, “For my grave heart next to hers,” (somehow you’ve added two words, and the meaning is changed)

1:43 Text: “Lord God has heeded Peter Day” This sounds slurred and I can’t really hear the word, “has.”

2:06 Instead of repeating the title of the poem, the ending should be:
“Poetry: A Magazine of Verse -- Miriam Allen de Ford. End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." Then leave 5 seconds of silence (I find only about four seconds).

If you want to proceed with this, please submit a corrected file, with the same file name, and new file length, so I can check it over again.

I'll hold this section for you until I hear from you.

I know there is a learning curve here, but it's worth it!
So, give it a shot and see how it goes.

~ Larry
DivineJustice

Post by DivineJustice »

Oh my god. I'm so sorry. I tried waiting as long as I could but the excitement over took me. Please dont listen to it actually I need to redo the audio. There's too much background noise. I didn't go over the prooflistening instruction. I'm gonna edit and If I can't get the noise out. I'm gonna re-record it.You can just list it as my actual name Justice Lysander.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DivineJustice wrote: July 13th, 2023, 2:30 pm Oh my god. I'm so sorry. I tried waiting as long as I could but the excitement over took me. Please dont listen to it actually I need to redo the audio. There's too much background noise. I didn't go over the prooflistening instruction. I'm gonna edit and If I can't get the noise out. I'm gonna re-record it.You can just list it as my actual name Justice Lysander.
Well, we do understand excitement here!
And, I certainly don't want to through a damper on it.
Slow down a bit, and scan the poem for its natural breaks and points of emphasis. You don't have to raise the volume of your voice to emphasize something. That is a learned thing, and I'm still not good at it, but I try.

Take some time to look at some of our wikis and tutorials. They'll stand you in good stead. Browse the forums to get a feel for how things work and what is available.

Probably good to do a fresh read on this one. You can use my notes as a guide for the kind of things we are listening for. Just upload your new recording with the same file name along with the new file length.

I've added you to the LibriVox catalog and assigned you Section 5. Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:

~ Larry
rgg28164

Post by rgg28164 »

Hi,
I would like to read #23 Spring by Clement Wood, please. Thank you.
Robert
"Wherever your voice is heard or influence felt may there follow greater Kindness, Tolerance and Love"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

rgg28164 wrote: July 13th, 2023, 5:47 pm Hi,
That would be great!
I just need to know exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym, or any nickname or handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of you LV work.

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
rgg28164

Post by rgg28164 »

silverquill wrote: July 13th, 2023, 8:10 pm
That would be great!
I just need to know exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym, or any nickname or handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of you LV work.
Please use: "Robert Gordon"
Thank you!
Robert
"Wherever your voice is heard or influence felt may there follow greater Kindness, Tolerance and Love"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

rgg28164 wrote: July 14th, 2023, 2:58 pm
silverquill wrote: July 13th, 2023, 8:10 pm
That would be great!
Please use: "Robert Gordon"
Thank you!
Great!
I've added you to the LibriVox catalog and assigned you section 23.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects, of which there will be many.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
Kawthar

Post by Kawthar »

hello Larry, Hope you care doing well.

I have a problem with volume; it always falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB), even when I make sure to adjust the setting with the maximum volume required while recording.

Best Regards,
Kawthar
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kawthar wrote: July 17th, 2023, 12:34 am hello Larry, Hope you care doing well.

I have a problem with volume; it always falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB), even when I make sure to adjust the setting with the maximum volume required while recording.

Best Regards,
Kawthar
:hmm: Well, I don't know enough about your equipment, set up, or software to know how to advise you. Just double check everything. If you are using Audacity, the input gain is easy to adjust, and then you can always use the Amlify feature under the Effects tab to bring it up or down. See what you can do. And, you can always go ahead and upload it, and I'll see if I can help on this end.

~ Larry
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Very nice reading!
PL OK

Thank you!

~ Larry