COMPLETE: Dark Hollow by Anna Katharine Green -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Dark Hollow by Anna Katharine Green (1864 - 1935)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/dark-hollow-by-anna-katharine-green-2/

Twelve years ago, the town of Shelby was in shock at the discovery of the murder of Algernon Etheridge, one of the town's most prominent citizens. His body was found beaten to death, and robbed, on the bridge in Dark Hollow. The local Innkeeper was quickly accused, tried and found guilty. He was sentenced to die in the electric chair by Judge Ostrander, who was the victim's best friend.
Then one day, a woman shows up, dressed all in purple and acting very mysterious. Her goal, it turns out, is to get the Judge to acquit the killer. But what is the purpose? The killer is dead. No one can change that. She begins looking for circumstantial evidence the trial used for the conviction, and obtains a job in the Judge's house as his housekeeper. She is determined to clear the killer's name, no matter the cost. Summary by Doreen Marcotte

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5121

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Special, DPL, please follow along with the text and notate any errors you consider significant.

Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:

Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Dark Hollow. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Dark Hollow, by Anna Katharine Green. Chapter Title."

For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Dark Hollow, by Anna Katharine Green. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name, city, date] "Chapter Title.

End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter # #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date]

If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Dark Hollow, by Anna Katharine Green."

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: darkhollow_##_green_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. darkhollow_01_green_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Mdoreen32 on July 26th, 2023, 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doreen Marcotte
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Doreen,

We need the entire code from the template generator with all the formating. Try again?
Jo
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

FE7f03BX This is all I have. Michele Fry helped me. Where would I look for the rest of the code? This is my first solo and I am not sure how to get what you need.
Doreen Marcotte
msfry

Post by msfry »

Mdoreen32 wrote: July 13th, 2023, 6:15 pm FE7f03BX This is all I have. Michele Fry helped me. Where would I look for the rest of the code? This is my first solo and I am not sure how to get what you need.
Oops, looks like you copied and posted the text, not the source code that lies behind it. I sent you another PM. Try again, please.
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

resubmitted that Michele gave me.
Doreen Marcotte
msfry

Post by msfry »

That looks about right to me. Let's see if it works this time.
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Jo,
Please check it now
Doreen Marcotte
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It's all there now... :)
Jo
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Whew!! Thank you Michele and Jo!!
Doreen Marcotte
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Actually, no... The link to the online source text is still missing.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Good going, Doreen. All you have to do is insert the text link you're going to read from where it asks for that, along with your summary and any other changes you want to make, and add a ~ in your Title to advertise for a DPL.
~ (SOLO) Dark Hollow by Anna Katnarine Green
Make changes by hitting the Edit Pencil upper right (same as with any post. Submit. Then you just wait for an MC to come and pick up your project and provide you with a Magic Window, and a volunteer to DPL for you. You can upload recordings before a DPL comes along, of course.
:thumbs:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

OK Doreen. I've set this up for you in the database and fixed up the template a bit more. Do you have a DPL lined up?
Jo
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

I do not have a DOL yet. Thank you for all your help with the magic window. I did the word count for all the chapters. Should I add that to the magic window?
Doreen Marcotte
msfry

Post by msfry »

Mdoreen32 wrote: July 24th, 2023, 6:44 pm I do not have a DOL yet. Thank you for all your help with the magic window. I did the word count for all the chapters. Should I add that to the magic window?
Hi Doreen. Yes, please fill in the MW as we discussed. Click on the BC Admin link under the MW to open the Compiler, fill in the Title as you will read it, then add the word count in the Notes column to give your potential DPL an idea of length of each section they are agreeing to PL.

Any more questions, I'm here to help.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Not to contradict Michele's post above, but word counts are not necessary for solo recordings. They are used in group recordings to give readers an indication of how long the sections are before they volunteer to read them. It's up to you if you want to add them, but I never do. When you upload the recordings, add the links to the MW and make note of the length of the file in mm:ss in the Notes column.

I'm going to move this thread to Going Solo. If a DPL doesn't come along after you have a few sections uploaded, a Listeners Wanted thread can be posted in this forum:

Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted viewforum.php?f=61
Jo