iTunes button broken [SOLVED-iTUNES FULL]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
msfry

Post by msfry »

Why does the iTunes button not work on our catalog pages? I used to be able to add books to my Podcast app with that button, but no more.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Michele - what podcast app are you using? The links still work in iTunes for me (with the caveat that I am using iTunes on a pc not an apple device).

The iTunes link on the catalog page is an iTunes podcast (itpc) link. Clicking that link should allow iTunes to subscribe to an audiobook as a podcast or RSS feed. If iTunes is open, on your computer, switch the media type to Podcast, then click the Listen in iTunes link on the catalog page. The sections should appear as a new podcast and start downloading (At least they do for me).

Alternately if the above doesn't work, you can right click and copy the Listen in iTunes link on the catalog page, and then in iTunes menu, choose File - Subscribe to Podcast, then enter the link in the box that comes up and click OK. Then switch the Media type menu from Music to Podcasts. Chapters will download (seemingly in random order, but eventually all will be there) and once they are all downloaded you can listen chapter by chapter.

If you using a different app that iTunes, then perhaps the direct rss feed link will work instead.

Hope this helps...:)
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for the detailed help, Jo. That was very nice of you.

FYI, I always use the paid ($1.99) Librivox Audiobook App nowadays because it has the very best features. But I used to use the iTunes Podcast App, until it "broke". Today I deleted a large number of titles that were lingering there, and presto, it works again. Apparently they have a limit. Glad to know it isn a broken feature, though, for those who do use it.
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:44 am Michele - what podcast app are you using? The links still work in iTunes for me (with the caveat that I am using iTunes on a pc not an apple device).

The iTunes link on the catalog page is an iTunes podcast (itpc) link. Clicking that link should allow iTunes to subscribe to an audiobook as a podcast or RSS feed. If iTunes is open, on your computer, switch the media type to Podcast, then click the Listen in iTunes link on the catalog page. The sections should appear as a new podcast and start downloading (At least they do for me).

Alternately if the above doesn't work, you can right click and copy the Listen in iTunes link on the catalog page, and then in iTunes menu, choose File - Subscribe to Podcast, then enter the link in the box that comes up and click OK. Then switch the Media type menu from Music to Podcasts. Chapters will download (seemingly in random order, but eventually all will be there) and once they are all downloaded you can listen chapter by chapter.

If you using a different app that iTunes, then perhaps the direct rss feed link will work instead.

Hope this helps...:)
Hi, I'm using an Apple device - a MacBook Pro (manufactured 2021) with the M1 chip. Just because I'm using an Apple device - and iTunes (AKA Apple Music) is Apple in origin - is no reason for this button not to work, is it? When i click it, I get a message Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid. The address is itpc://librivox.org/rss/18712 So if I have iTunes (mine is Apple Music but it's still iTunes) clicking that button should just work, shouldn't it? It should work simply, for the general public, because not everyone's a guru :D Can't somebody fix it?
Thanks,
Adrian
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I have a PC with iTunes installed, so this may not be what happens with a Mac. I typically use Chrome to access LibriVox.

When I click the iTunes button on the catalog page, I get a popup window that says

Open iTunes?

http://librivox.org wants to open this applcation

there is a check box to Always allow librivox.org to open links of this type in the associated app

At the bottom of the window there are two buttons - one to Open iTunes and a second to cancel.

If I click Open iTunes, then iTunes will open and the audiobook in question will show up as a podcast.

Alternately, You can follow the steps below to download the m4b audiobooks link into itunes.

1. right click and download the m4b file to your hard drive
2. open itunes on your computer
3. change the media type in itunes to audiobooks
4. Under the file menu, select add file to library - find the m4b you saved on your hard drive and select it and choose open

The audiobook will appear in the list of audiobooks in itunes. Double click to listen. Chapters will play in sequence and your place will be automatically bookmarked if you pause the playback.

If Safari doesn't recognize the iTunes link, perhaps you need to open iTunes and subscribe to the podcast from the file menu by pasting in the link to download directly into iTunes?
Jo
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Using the latest version of Chrome on my Mac and pop-ups and redirects are enabled in Settings. When i click the iTunes button nothing happens. Listen/Download Help on this page https://librivox.org/pages/help/#1, says 'Click the iTunes button to download the audio files into iTunes.' How is the average Joe (no pun intended!) to know all the workarounds you mention? It doesn't work on my super duper Mac. It's an issue :D
Thanks,
Adrian
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Obvious question - do you have iTunes on your Mac? My understanding is that with the release of Catalina OS, iTunes was replaced with the separate podcast and music apps. I don't know if Apple Music (the iTunes replacement) recognizes these links since I am on a PC, although from Michele's post above that would seem to be the case.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200#:~:text=With%20macOS%20Catalina%2C%20your%20iTunes,%2C%20iPad%2C%20and%20iPod%20touch.

I can certainly change the instructions on the Listen/Download Help page in the catalog, and this can be added to the list of things to fix/change on the catalog pages in Github.
Jo