I have a question

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
SlyFox

Post by SlyFox »

Hiii,

The thing is, other than recording, are we meant to edit too? And do we do the editing on Audacity?

Thanks!

SlyFox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi! Yes, you'll possibly need to edit your recordings if there are mistakes in it, like a stumble-repeat, or skipped phrase, or perform other kinds of post-production like amplifying the volume, and reducing background noise. I use Audacity to edit. There are other options, too. Most of the guides in our wiki are about Audacity so it's a good starting software.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

SlyFox wrote: June 17th, 2023, 1:07 am Hiii,

The thing is, other than recording, are we meant to edit too? And do we do the editing on Audacity?

Thanks!

SlyFox
Hi SlyFox,

I'm sorry if my responses to your questions over in the Five Little Peppers didn't make that fact clear. We generally spend more time on editing than the recording. I'd be surprised if anybody was able to make a perfect recording their first time through a reading without doing any editing (except perhaps for a short poem).

There's information about how to edit in Audacity over in the Librivox Wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording#Editing. If you prefer your information in the form of a video, Phil Chenevert has developed a series of them covering a wide variety of related topics over on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3D4A53CF932AD360. And you can always ask questions here; a helpful Librivoxer will usually answer any question pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (dramatic reading of L. Frank Baum story)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There are some people (some of their posts are almost a year old, though) who have said they like to edit. You could try PM'ing them and see if they want to edit your stuff. But generally, yes - you do it yourself.

Here's the thread. See the last few posts.
viewtopic.php?t=91526
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SlyFox

Post by SlyFox »

Thank you so much everyone, I'll be sure to follow the links!