Audio volume standards and calibration

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I am aiming for something not too technical see, something that can take a forum index and read out all the newly uploaded 1 minute tests and perhaps go so far as to either preload text to a reply editing window or have the text ready otherwise for cut-n-paste. I like doing automation lately in linux bash scripting files.

Then maybe I can wrap it up into a kind of automated scanner that reads the forum every ten mins or so looking for new files to check. That way if I'm on the computer it can play an audiofile to alert there is some new 1 minutes test to look at and perhaps reply to. That way the me generation can get instant satisfaction to their postings from anyone who does the linux thing perhaps. Something like that.
Intriguing thought, although I have found when I check tests that I have to use my human ears (and sometimes eyes) to catch some things not easily measurable. Such things as plosives, or the sound quality of the recording (does it sound like it was recorded through a telephone, or is it clear?).

I suppose a script kind of thing that says, "I haven't checked everything, so please wait until someone does a final check, but here are some initial observations..." would be useful if this gets off the ground?
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

TriciaG wrote: June 15th, 2023, 4:41 pm Intriguing thought, although I have found when I check tests that I have to use my human ears (and sometimes eyes) to catch some things not easily measurable. Such things as plosives, or the sound quality of the recording (does it sound like it was recorded through a telephone, or is it clear?).

I suppose a script kind of thing that says, "I haven't checked everything, so please wait until someone does a final check, but here are some initial observations..." would be useful if this gets off the ground?
I was not aiming for it to be full automated, I was looking for something to make the cut'n'paste of just the things that can be measured and should be measured. Like, seriously, who wants or needs to check dc offset if you don't need to, machine should do that.

No this was never meant to be full automated. I would also need to get headphones first anyway, otherwise I could only listen in the witching hour perhaps. Headphones are the only way to really isolate things, cause you can get a directional idea of where sounds are coming from, and then listen to the sounds right in the center of your head. There are no illusions to worry about as far as binaurals go because it's mono, but you need headphones, cause you remember that checker guy who complained that everyone's fridge was too noisy in their one minute tests AND HE'D YELL TURN YOUR FRIPPING FRIDGE OFF at everyone ? remember that guy ? oh yeah, wait, hasn't happened yet. I'll tell you all the exciting conclusion somewhere in the future as to what was actually the problem and why headphones are important. :lol:

Yes, it is possible to have a program that does a driveby with the technical data, but it's best to personify the software, so it introduces itself as a bot, and has a profile to match, making it clear it's a quirky bot with a lot of character. People don't mind that kind of bot. It needs server space somewhere to run from, so it's not within my capabilites at all, I can only develop and run such a thing to use when I'm online, and it's going to be a different programming language as well. python, and beautifulsoup or something like that the scraper is called. I haven't done that for ages. One thing at a time. Oh and python is written by the devil, It's awful, people are made to serve it with unnecessary idiotic syntax, I don't worship technology, I don't serve technology, like in TRON, technology needs to serve the User.
annise wrote: June 15th, 2023, 4:24 pm I'm moving this to off-topic, it isn't necessary for readers to know but you are free to discuss it. All LV needs is a file we can use and any advice given is to help people get this result, it's no use us having files that can't be listened to. And especially with group projects, who wants to have to turn the volume up fully for file 1 and then have your ears damaged by the next one?
I don't know where I went wrong but this doesn't in any way relate to what I'm trying to do, sorry if I cannot explain any part of it to you, I seem to have failed comprehensively but I really was just aiming to talk with the other programmers and technical-oriented people to consult the 'brains trust' about what software tools are available, so my language is completely up and off in that jargon filled corner of the english language. Like how 'a grinder ate concrete' is understood by teenagers and all that.

It is actually of LV interest, but I'm very happy for it to be off topic now it is here, it is just as good right here. :thumbs:
TriciaG wrote: June 15th, 2023, 4:41 pm I suppose a script kind of thing that says, [...]would be useful if this gets off the ground?
Well, it's a long way yet, and while I am spending a lot of time reading up on all sorts of software all over the internet, there has been such a lot of assistance and positive support for my query I'm beginning to feel like Tom Sawyer painting a fence. I'll feel guilty if I don't do it, but hey, I can get a lot done powered by guilt, that works :lol:
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

annise wrote: June 15th, 2023, 4:24 pm [...]it's no use us having files that can't be listened to. And especially with group projects, who wants to have to turn the volume up fully for file 1 and then have your ears damaged by the next one?
The program I'm working on does not upload any files, it downloads them just the same as everyone does, to check 1 minute test recordings, it works when I tell it to, and then checks for the same things in the same way anyone else does and advises me of the result, same as any checker program does. It's the same thing, but it runs on my system, which the checker program does not.

So ideally, in 'modern' terms, it's an 'app' which shows the checker results of all untested one minute tests, so when you write a human response to those one minute tests, you can just add the appropriate checker results.

Same ap, but runs on platforms it currently cannot, ideally easier to use. Does that make sense.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yep :D Anne
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

omg that's a relief, i'll be back after I've had time to get some rest, calm my nerves and find some courage.