Good practice guidelines for dramatic works

Plays and other dramatic works
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

It’s interesting to hear your thoughts, Tricia! I’m glad LibriVox leaves these decisions to each BC’s discretion, allowing BCs to decide between favouring or not favouring role reprisals. As for myself, I much prefer to listen to audiobook series that have consistent readers for each role, and I think it wise for newcomers to the DR side of LibriVox to take on small roles before committing to big ones. All the same, I think it’s great that there’s no policy on these matters, so BCs can coordinate their projects the way they think best.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

my view
Why I don't MC DR's is because of the precasting so that it appears as if someone outside the circle is welcome to pick a bit part they can, but they will never get a chance at a real role. All the good roles are taken before it is even posted.
And this is contrary to LV policy that we do not audition at all.

Anne
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

That is an interesting point, Anne - though "auditioning" isn't what I'd have called it, this pre-casting would have the same end result.

You mention this about DRs in general, but since there are plenty of DRs that aren't part of a series, I would have thought the process of "casting" for them would be close to what it is for plays - aside from the narrator, that is.
Not asking you to point fingers or anything, but do we know of a reason why DRs would be more prone to this? My own guess would be that the longer lead-up time means that naturally, more folks will hear of it, and be ready to claim when the official "first post" goes out. But that's only a guess. Is there something that I could do, if I were starting a brand new DR, that would avoid even the impression of pre-casting?

Points and opinions from Tricia and Salvationist also give much food for more thought, to which I'll have to return later.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far, and also to anyone else ready to deposit their two cents. ;)

Edit: expanded question
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

About "auditions".

Some while ago I took a fairly small part in a One Act Play Collection where the selection was a scene out of a book. Some while later, I received a PM from the person who BCed the scene telling me they were going to do the whole book as a DR and would like me to take a more major role, or if I didn't want to commit the time to that, would I reprise the role I took in the scene.

I chose the more major part and had a lot of fun with it. Like was said above it is the BC's choice. And this was 16 months ago, and it is still a work in progress. :D

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hi all,
browsing projects I noticed some very interesting exchange of opinions and advice regarding DR work which I think might be very useful for unseasoned DR coordinators. Particularly, the posts by LCaulkins could have a wider audience.
Is is complicated to select/copy part of this viewtopic.php?t=98282 and have it somewhere very visible, in addition to the guidelines?
Thanks