[COMPLETE][SOLO]The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

valroth wrote: June 8th, 2023, 10:43 am Hi Wayne,

The latest chapter is comparatively long and definitely the most challenging to date. Your “humble capacity” (more accurately your expertise and advice) would be welcomed for this instalment. I took a few chances. :D I used some delay on the voices of the “Great Oz” (voices that vary according to the changing appearance of the Wizard). I felt emboldened to try “effects” to make Oz more dramatic… buuuuut it may be too much, especially the delay/echo used on the first voice of Oz when Dorothy is received. So have a listen and let me know.

I know you’ll be honest and I am happy to change what ever needs to be changed. My ears are not what they used to be! :-)
(And the heavy smoke billowing from the wild fires in northern Ontario and Quebec may have contributed to the scary edge in my voice! :shock: Ohhh the poor trees… I think you’re more used to wild fires in the North West, we are here too but have never been affected so directly in Southern Ontario! Hoping for rain and more rain soon.

Have a great day,

Val
Val,

First of all, I think your echo effect was right on. You mentioned more on the first, but I think that was just right. Each of the other 'representations' of Oz were different, which was great.

I have to admit that this was not your best reading. The reading itself was good, but you seemed to have some problems with the text for some reason (the smoke getting in your eyes?). I only mentioned the errors that I thought should be corrected for more clarity or just for the feeling of Baum's writing. Those that didn't seem to me to make any difference at all in the meaning I didn't mention. There were probably 5-7 of those.

Here are the ones I thought needed corrections:

2:13.25 and they demand to see the Great Oz.” You said Wizard of

5:01 These she also led to rooms, You added 'had' between she and also

5:32.5 just as if it were not one of the most wonderful rooms in the world. You said beautiful

5:57 and did not like being shut up in a room; You said he

7:39 She opened a little door and Dorothy walked boldly through You said 'the' and left out 'little'.

19:22.5 Then a low, quiet voice came from the Ball of Fire, and these were the words it spoke: You said 'the'. Small, but I think it probably should be changed. Also, you said 'said'. Again small, but should probably be corrected.

19:40 I am a Cowardly Lion, afraid of everything. You said the.

20:59.25 Then I shall never have courage,” You added 'my' between have and courage.

Thanks for all your work. Again, I am enjoying the story and your rendition of it.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
valroth

Post by valroth »

Yikes! Thank goodness you caught all of those errors (no wait, thank goodness you let the others go!) lol. Glad the effects were appropriate, I so value your feedback!

And yes, let's blame the smoke for my lack of concentration. :D But it’s better today so no more excuses... I’ll start anew tomorrow, refreshed, revitalized and re-oxygenated! :wink:

Happy, happy Friday to you.

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hello again Wayne,

Chapter 11 ready for SpotPL! I caught a few inconsistencies (voice wise) with the lion and hopefully improved it. And mistakes have been corrected.

Thanks for all your support.

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

valroth wrote: June 10th, 2023, 8:50 am Hello again Wayne,

Chapter 11 ready for SpotPL! I caught a few inconsistencies (voice wise) with the lion and hopefully improved it. And mistakes have been corrected.

Val
All the corrections you did were perfect, but.......maybe I didn't make it clear enough:

7:39 She opened a little door and Dorothy walked boldly through You left out 'little'.

Sorry,

Wayne
Wayne
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kalamareader wrote: June 10th, 2023, 3:33 pm
valroth wrote: June 10th, 2023, 8:50 am Hello again Wayne,

Val
All the corrections you did were perfect, but.......maybe I didn't make it clear enough:

7:39 She opened a little door and Dorothy walked boldly through You left out 'little'.

Sorry,

Wayne
Oops, so sorry for missing that one. “Little” has been inserted and I believe that completes the corrections for this chapter. Phew. :oops:

Thanks Wayne!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

valroth wrote: June 10th, 2023, 5:58 pm
Oops, so sorry for missing that one. “Little” has been inserted and I believe that completes the corrections for this chapter. Phew. :oops:

Thanks Wayne!
Great job. Chapter 11 is now PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Wayne,

I’m back after completing a few other projects. Please see Section 12 of Oz in the Magic Window. Get ready for witchiness! :lol:

Val
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

valroth wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 4:35 am Hi Wayne,

I’m back after completing a few other projects. Please see Section 12 of Oz in the Magic Window. Get ready for witchiness! :lol:

Val
Well Val,

Welcome back to our own little Coven.

Again, I am so enthralled with your rendition of this classic.

However, I found a few things you might want to look at:

1:36 Dorothy still wore the pretty silk dress she had put on in the palace, You left out the word had. I will certainly leave this one up to you.

4:23.5 “It was a good fight, friend.” You said that. Again, your call.

5:18.25 “Fly at once to the strangers; peck out their eyes and tear them to pieces.” With Oz, I thought the reverb was great. But with this one, I think it distracts. The first time you read the Wicked Witch, I thought the voice was great. Let's just keep it 'plain'.

6:48 “Go to the strangers and sting them to death!” Reverb on Witch's voice again.

10:24.5, 10:31.5, 10:29.5, 11:17.5 More of the Witch's voice

15:00.75 and see that you mind everything I tell you, for if you do not I will make an end of you, as I did of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow.” You left out the word of. Small, but important, though.

17:32 bit her leg in return. You added 'on the' between her and leg. Again, really your call.

18:46 But the child was so proud of her pretty shoes that she never took them off except at night and when she took her bath. You left out the word and. Important in the context of the next few lines.

Thanks for your work.

Wayne
Wayne
valroth

Post by valroth »

Wayne! I agree big time—the reverb for the witch’s voice has been removed and gave me a chance to re-record her lines more effectively. So now there’s just a little echo at the verrrry end when she melts away! Not distracting, just eery (I hope!?:-) lol

Thanks Wayne for all these great suggestions and corrections. I trust your guidance completely! Can’t wait to show you my LV book cover! :D

Val

Edit: The revised recording is in the magic window!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:26 amCan’t wait to show you my LV book cover! :D
as BC you are allowed to preclaim your own cover design, did you do that ? You have to make the preclaim in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=28785 otherwise it will be up for grabs for the first-comer once the project is catalogued.

Just tell them the project number, say you're the BC and you would like to preclaim the cover.

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 8:30 am
valroth wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:26 amCan’t wait to show you my LV book cover! :D
as BC you are allowed to preclaim your own cover design, did you do that ? You have to make the preclaim in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=28785 otherwise it will be up for grabs for the first-comer once the project is catalogued.

Just tell them the project number, say you're the BC and you would like to preclaim the cover.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

So glad you saw this thread! Thanks for the info and link. :clap:

I did not pre-claim my cover yet. Because most of the public domain book-covers for Oz are already claimed in previous projects, I chose to create my own using a wonderful photo. (Yup, it’s in the public domain so no copyright issues). I’ll upload it once I’ve completed the 2nd page. I feel the cover and text fits the theme of the story beautifully!

Thanks for supporting me through my first project Sonia and Wayne, it’s been such a great experience so far!

Val
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:34 amThanks for the info and link. :clap:
I did not pre-claim my cover yet.
yes that's what I feared, so I wanted to point you to it before the project is catalogued. Now's the time.
Because most of the public domain book-covers for Oz are already claimed in previous projects, I chose to create my own using a wonderful photo. (Yup, it’s in the public domain so no copyright issues).
is this a personal photo ? I guess you can use it then. I am not big on copyright knowledge. You can ask in the covers thread, they know more there.

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:40 am
valroth wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:34 amThanks for the info and link. :clap:
I did not pre-claim my cover yet.
yes that's what I feared, so I wanted to point you to it before the project is catalogued. Now's the time.
Because most of the public domain book-covers for Oz are already claimed in previous projects, I chose to create my own using a wonderful photo. (Yup, it’s in the public domain so no copyright issues).
is this a personal photo ? I guess you can use it then. I am not big on copyright knowledge. You can ask in the covers thread, they know more there.

Sonia
:thumbs: Will do!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

valroth wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:26 am The revised recording is in the magic window!
Val
WE'RE HALF WAY THERE!! :clap: :clap:

Great job (as usual). All your corrections were absolutely seamless!

Section 12 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kalamareader wrote: June 24th, 2023, 8:10 pm
valroth wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 7:26 am The revised recording is in the magic window!
Val
WE'RE HALF WAY THERE!! :clap: :clap:

Great job (as usual). All your corrections were absolutely seamless!

Section 12 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Hurray! You’re right Wayne, we’re half way there! :clap:

Chapter 13 is nice and short and awaits your super-ears.

Val