Moravians in Jamaica - rap

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Faith! I can check your file: The tech specs are correct, and you sound crystal clear! My only concern in the volume which is a bit lower than required. Check if you can increase your microphone's input volume a bit (but not a lot, because we don't want it too loud either!). Alternatively, or if the microphone's volume is already maxed up, you can use Amplification within Audacity to amplify the volume (for this volume level, I would suggest 5dB amplification) or use Phil's method of "Loudness normalisation": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSKR55RDVpk

Let's do one more recording to see if we can get the volume right!
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Thankyou. Computer shut down now, so will retry tomorrow.
KR
Faith
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Faith!
Your friendly DPL popping in here.
I see you still need to post an update to your test recording.
Let me know if you need help with this so you can get going with your recording.
There's a definite learning curve, and we're all here to see that you get off to a good start. :D

PS: I did notice a definite pop on some of your plosives, like the initial "p" sound. This is caused by that puff of air hitting the microphone. This can be minimized by backing off a bit, or by speaking at an angle to the microphone so the puff doesn't hit it directly. You can also use a pop filter which blocks those puffs. Not essential, but this will give your recording a better sound.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hello Silverquill
Thank you for your message and apologies for delay. My husband has just helped me "pass" the test. But I am seeing the "puff" sound comments, so these may still appear- let me know. I can send 2nd attempt. KR Faith
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

FaithAE wrote: June 10th, 2023, 1:14 pm Hello Silverquill
Thank you for your message and apologies for delay. My husband has just helped me "pass" the test. But I am seeing the "puff" sound comments, so these may still appear- let me know. I can send 2nd attempt. KR Faith
Feel free to send in a new sample to check plosives again if you'd like. Or if you are ready for real recordings, go for it! :D
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hello
I have recorded introduction (MP3 passed the local test)
I have recorded chapter 2 but need to edit in audacity before transfer to MP3.
So ,making progress. I just need to read instructions to know what to do next.
I am linking with sister this weekend (1/2 July) to help her get started on chapter 1 recording.
KR
Faith
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You could upload your introduction file - https://librivox.org/login/uploader (if it asks for a password, use your magic window forum-name and password)

Then you'll get some feedback from your proof-listener so that you'll know whether you're on the right path or need to adjust something.

If you've already uploaded files, please enter them in the Magic Window, too, and post an update.
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Will do, thanks
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hi Rapunzelina and SilverQuill
Please find my mp3 for review
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/introduction_0_.mp3 (52:14)
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/chapter_2_.mp3 (58:35)
Thanks. Await revisions/comments.
KR
Faith
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Faith! I have entered these in the Magic Window, as an example for your next time. Larry (silverquill) will proof listen when he's available. I see that the files don't follow the filenaming format in the first post but that can be fixed at cataloguing, so no worries about that for now.
Take care :9:
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Okay, much thanks. I did try the window but couldn't see clearly what to do. Will recap on file format...there are so many little steps to take. But getting there I hope!!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've been able to listen to the introduction, and here are a few notes:

First, your reading is just superb! Your pace and intonation make this a delight to listen to.
I haven't been to Jamaica, but spent four years as a medical missionary in Haiti. I know all of these Caribbean islands have their poor side. Well, ALL of Haiti is tragically poor and diseased.

Anyway, a few comments to help you improve this recording

The first thing I noticed is a difference in volume from the beginning to the end. Looking at the wave form in Audacity, it is easy to see that the first part is much louder. There is a drop off at about 12:52 where there is a longer gap, and then again at about 15:30. I suspect these represent different recording sessions. You can highlight the louder first section and then use the Amply feature in Audacity to lower this by about 2-3 decibels in order to level out the volume. This is not critical, but something that would improve the recording.

Then, the opening and closing silences do need to be adjusted.
At the beginning, between .5 and 1.0 seconds, I hear about 1.5 so this can be trimmed
At the end there should be about 5 seconds, and I see only 4. Again, relatively minor things but I want you to make it a habit to check these each time.

Finally, some little glitches in the recording itself that could be adjusted to make it better.

2:12 longer pause with clicks that can be cleaned up
4:25 same
6:28 loud bang – sounds like a microphone bump
8:59 another mike bump, not as loud but quite noticeable
9:58 another noise to clean up
11:45 a snap that can be cut

Again, these are not major things, but easy to fix (well, the mike bumps might need a re-record), and will polish this up.

As a soloist, you are free to take these as suggestions (except the silences). I am just a listener giving you some feed back.

If you choose to make corrections, start at the end and work your way towards the beginning so the the time references stay intact. Then upload your corrected file under the correct file name: moraviansinjamaica_02_buchner_128kb.mp3 Then post the link along with the new time mm:ss, and update the link in the Magic Window and toggle the status to Ready for Spot PL.

I will get to the next recording as soon as I can while I am in my travels.

Truly, this was a delight to listen to. :clap:
~ Larry
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Thank you for feedback. I will review and adjust.

Really glad you enjoyed the listen,in the main.
I got a delight in recording it.
Can only improve,eh?

KR
Faith
FaithAE

Post by FaithAE »

Hello Silverquil
Hopefully I have removed the above noises and a few re-recorded bits.
Tried to remove where my untake of breath is audible...
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_02_buchner_128kb.mp3
51:28

I will have to read how to amend magicbox entry.
Thanks
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

FaithAE wrote: July 25th, 2023, 1:09 pm Hello Silverquil
Hopefully I have removed the above noises and a few re-recorded bits.
Tried to remove where my untake of breath is audible...
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/moraviansinjamaica_02_buchner_128kb.mp3
51:28

I will have to read how to amend magicbox entry.
Thanks
Great . . . I'll listen to this as soon as I can.
We are in the last few days of our cross-country trip, but then things will be crazy for a bit.
~ Larry