[FULL][DR] A Fourth Form Friendship by Angela Brazil - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

TriciaG wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:47 am
Thanks, I will get started on her as soon as you want me to.
Would you rather have me wait until you have a DPL and an editor, or do you not care?
You cannot upload anything until the project is ready, with an MC and a Magic Window. If you want to record it ahead of time, that's fine, but you can't do anything with it until the project is set up.
Ok, thanks! :thumbs:
~Norah Leigh ~
Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other. Isaiah 45:22
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Male readers needed! 8 small roles open)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

redrun wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:34 am Hello again! Glad to see more dramatic works in the... works. :lol:
Everybody wants to see you succeed, so please excuse anything that sounds dismissive. Some of this stuff might be clearly stated, and other stuff we only think is clear because we've done it before or are doing it now.
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:28 am OK, where should I put the source book's link?
You can edit the first post to put it just above or below your link to the scripts. That Hearts of Three project does exactly this: viewtopic.php?t=77192
You'll notice that project tells readers to use the color coded scripts, but final PL to use the source text. That kind of "here's who this is for" helps make it easier for folks to figure out what they need to know in their particular role. :)

While you're editing the first post, as annise says, you'll want to change this bit:
Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
That's where you've requested a number of sections to be set up in the magic window. But you'll need sections not just for the 17 finished chapters, but also one section per character in each chapter. Here's another good example of MW setup for a DR: viewtopic.php?t=96808
You can add more sections later if you need, but it's much faster to start with a reasonable estimate and have them all created for you at once. :wink:

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:23 am There doesn't seem like anything else for me to do until I get proof-listeners, editors, and a MC.
If those folks are willing to join as-is, then perhaps there isn't anything else you need to do until then. But anything you can do to provide clarity or reduce their workload will make it more likely that folks will join in those roles. Here are some suggestions:

1. I see you've advertised for proof-listeners and an editor! If I were you, I'd edit the post so that it spells out that you'd like a parts-PL (rather than saying 'finished sections', as it does now), and that you'd like an editor to put together all the voices once they're in. My editing plate is also full at the moment, but that's the kind of info I'd have to read all through this thread for otherwise.

2. Narrating a DR is all the work of reading the book solo, but without the fun of voicing the characters. An editor or MC may want to know that you've got someone committed to do it, so that everyone else's work doesn't go to waste. Are you looking for someone to narrate? If you don't get someone, would you be willing and able to do it yourself?

3. I think what LCaulkins means by a "play-like script" is that you can add a cue before each of a character's lines, like this:
Neil: "Better pull yourself together. There's work ahead for all hands."
The original text doesn't have "Neil:", but it makes it easy for the reader to do a search (Ctrl+F) to find all their lines.
You can also color or highlight just the name, and not the line the character says. That way, you don't have to worry too much about color choice making the line hard to read. That's what we did on the Hardy Boys books you joined me on. :wink:
I have finished editing the script.
victoriaalicebell

Is there anything that I should do so that this project moves out of On Hold Project Proposals?
Thanks!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Victoria :)

I'm not an MC, but I'm pretty sure they'll wait for you to have a narrator and an editor on board (preferably a seasoned person for at least one of those) before someone picks up the project to activate it. These two jobs are tremendous commitments for a novel size DR, and there have been a handful of new/newish BCs who have started DRs, then disappeared - which leaves all the character readers and the MC in the lurch. There are very, very few people willing to adopt someone's abandoned DR project (we're talking about a potential two-year work load), and those of us who are willing to do so are limited to being the BC on only 2 DRs at a time.

I don't mean for this to sound like you're not a worthy BC candidate for a DR project - I'm not saying that at all. Like redrun said a few days ago, we want to see you succeed! And there are several character readers who will be thrilled to have another active DR going. I just wanted to explain why DR projects take longer to get picked up by an MC.

I'd love to help you out, but I'm still digging myself out of a huge pit I got into when I fostered a couple of abandoned DRs on top of my own DRs and additional editor slots with my husband. (I know 2 or 3 MCs are nodding their heads, happy that I've learned my commitment limit!)

Did you already put an ad up on the editors wanted board? I don't know what else you can do beyond that.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
victoriaalicebell

LCaulkins wrote: June 8th, 2023, 3:59 pm Hi, Victoria :)

I'm not an MC, but I'm pretty sure they'll wait for you to have a narrator and an editor on board (preferably a seasoned person for at least one of those) before someone picks up the project to activate it. These two jobs are tremendous commitments for a novel size DR, and there have been a handful of new/newish BCs who have started DRs, then disappeared - which leaves all the character readers and the MC in the lurch. There are very, very few people willing to adopt someone's abandoned DR project (we're talking about a potential two-year work load), and those of us who are willing to do so are limited to being the BC on only 2 DRs at a time.

I don't mean for this to sound like you're not a worthy BC candidate for a DR project - I'm not saying that at all. Like redrun said a few days ago, we want to see you succeed! And there are several character readers who will be thrilled to have another active DR going. I just wanted to explain why DR projects take longer to get picked up by an MC.

I'd love to help you out, but I'm still digging myself out of a huge pit I got into when I fostered a couple of abandoned DRs on top of my own DRs and additional editor slots with my husband. (I know 2 or 3 MCs are nodding their heads, happy that I've learned my commitment limit!)

Did you already put an ad up on the editors wanted board? I don't know what else you can do beyond that.
Thank you so much for your advice!
I probably should offer to be narrator. I have made an ad for both editors and listeners... It's locked and I can't edit the ad like redrun suggested.
1. I see you've advertised for proof-listeners and an editor! If I were you, I'd edit the post so that it spells out that you'd like a parts-PL (rather than saying 'finished sections', as it does now), and that you'd like an editor to put together all the voices once they're in. My editing plate is also full at the moment, but that's the kind of info I'd have to read all through this thread for otherwise.
Thanks again,
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll unlock it for you Anne
victoriaalicebell

annise wrote: June 8th, 2023, 8:48 pm I'll unlock it for you Anne
Thank you!
victoriaalicebell

Unless someone else wishes to narrate, I will. I take the position as a necessity, not as any particular wish. But am fine with doing so.
Thanks,
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's the hardest position to fill - it's as long as a solo really - especially in a book with less conversation. I'll lock the listeners etc thread again.

Anne
victoriaalicebell

annise wrote: June 9th, 2023, 9:43 pm That's the hardest position to fill - it's as long as a solo really - especially in a book with less conversation. I'll lock the listeners etc thread again.

Anne
Okay! Thank you!
victoriaalicebell

Unless someone else wants to, I will try my hand at editing. I might need some help :D!
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

victoriaalicebell wrote: June 11th, 2023, 7:13 am Unless someone else wants to, I will try my hand at editing. I might need some help :D!
I haven't edited anything either, but I wouldn't mind helping. :)
I did watch this video on how to do it though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be

Norah
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

The following is not meant as a deterrent; It is a pointer for those who would like to work with DRs/Plays as editor. :)

That video is a fantastic starting point. Keep in mind, there is an added element to editing DRs - you'll need to modulate the voices (my word - I've no idea if I'm using it correctly in the audo-engineering world!) so they work well together.

Meaning, you'll need to bring each one to your chosen decibel point (I recommend 89-90) before assembling the chapter.

EVEN SO: Not everybody's 89 decibels sounds the same to the listening ear. Also, 99% of the time, a person's recording track is not going to be 89 decibels the entire way through. One person's higher-volume line often ends up next to the next person's lower-volume line. So, after you've assembled the chapter, you'll go through it slowly for detailing work, adjusting pauses between lines, decibels of interplaying voices, and tempo/pace.

And then you should go through it a final time, without watching the text, listening for spots where your spacing seems off without reading along, or volume does weird things. (I find it most helpful to shut my eyes, even, relying only on my ears to tell me what's still wanting help.) That'll give you a nicely polished product at high-amateur quality. :) I know ToddHW has very helpful posts in the pinned subjects at the top of the DR board. Would love to see you guys get into DR editing. It's admittedly trench work, but it's also highly satisfying to see your product emerge!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LCaulkins wrote: June 11th, 2023, 8:23 am EVEN SO: Not everybody's 89 decibels sounds the same to the listening ear. Also, 99% of the time, a person's recording track is not going to be 89 decibels the entire way through.
This is an excellent point; 89db can sound louder or quieter depending on the tone. Audacity has a tool that helps compensate for this, called "Loudness Normalization".
Here's a video where Phil talks about using it for entire chapters, but the same settings work for smaller selections too:
https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk

To use it, I cut or copy the character line, paste it into the edited chapter, and then apply this Loudness Normalization effect while the line is still selected. If it helps speed things up, you an use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R to re-use the last effect you applied. Saves time searching through the menus. :wink:

Also, having looked through the script, I think I'd enjoy playing the part of Keith, the brother. :mrgreen:
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

I also watched this video, which talks about editing together DRs and plays: http://youtu.be/6Q96dbRCnG0

I can't wait to help with this DR! :mrgreen:

Norah