Martin of Old London by Herbert Strang

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

This is a thriller. Set in London in 1666, it is a story of the adventures of 14 year old orphan Martin Leake, his friends, and his enemies. There is plenty of intrigue, mysterious midnight goings-on, suspicious characters, kidnappings and escapes, and possibly stolen jewels and gold. All this set against the background of the Great London Fire. (Naturally, Martin worked for the bakery where the fire started, although he didn't start it.) I would record this book myself but I think it needs several British accents that are beyond this poor Texas boy's abilities. I found it a fun read.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/69609
Tom Penn
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I.m not sure we have many 17th century London English speakers around - and if we did I'm not sure anyone would understand them :D
Looks a fun book, why not a Texan flavour ? And it was written in 1925. So if you like it why not read it?

I think Texans speak English, don't they :D

Anne
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I think Texans speak English, don't they :D
Well, ma'am, we lack to thank so, but sum fine us hard to unnerstand, specially them that lives over in that teeny place where this here book is set. :shock:

I have a Mary Roberts Rinehart I'm about to start, but if no one has picked this book up in a few months I'll give it a go.
Tom Penn