[Complete] Animals' Rights Considered in Relation to Social Progress by Henry S. Salt - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

One other thing. You read "Section 0" at the start and end of this section. I've been told that it's acceptable (and perhaps smoother listening) to read "Preface" here instead. Your choice.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The Magic Nuts by Mrs. Molesworth (children’s story with fairies, mermaids, and gnomes!)
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous fiction with a dog as hero)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Lynnet wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:18 pm You don’t need to say anything about it at the end of the book… in fact, you shouldn’t, as that lull count as “reader’s notes”, which we don’t allow. Instead, if you feel the need, you can put something about it in the summary.

Adding Winnifred as DPL.
Thanks, Lynne. I guess this also means that we have to ask you to remove lines 9, 10, and 11 from the MW, as they won't be used. Lucie (or I) can add lines to the MW, but we can't remove them. Only an MC can do that.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The Magic Nuts by Mrs. Molesworth (children’s story with fairies, mermaids, and gnomes!)
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous fiction with a dog as hero)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Winnifred wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:04 pm
Lynnet wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:18 pm You don’t need to say anything about it at the end of the book… in fact, you shouldn’t, as that lull count as “reader’s notes”, which we don’t allow. Instead, if you feel the need, you can put something about it in the summary.

Adding Winnifred as DPL.
Thanks, Lynne. I guess this also means that we have to ask you to remove lines 9, 10, and 11 from the MW, as they won't be used. Lucie (or I) can add lines to the MW, but we can't remove them. Only an MC can do that.

Thanks,
You're right, but I'll leave them for now, in case any of the chapters are long and need to be split.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Lynnet wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:49 pm
Winnifred wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:04 pm

Adding Winnifred as DPL.

Thanks,
You're right, but I'll leave them for now, in case any of the chapters are long and need to be split.
Good idea. I never thought of that.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Winnifred, thank you!
Here is the link to the edited version, let me know what you think.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_00_salt_128kb.mp3

Thank you Lynnet!
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for, we are the change that we seek."
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: June 8th, 2023, 3:19 pm Winnifred, thank you!

Thank you Lynnet!
Well, now the volume is too low at 84.4. How much did you reduce it by? If you increase it by 4.6 you should get to 89, but you have to be careful not to do this too often or it'll start to distort the sound.

Give that a try and let's see where we are then.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Winnifred wrote: June 8th, 2023, 4:23 pm
LucieLutin wrote: June 8th, 2023, 3:19 pm Winnifred, thank you!

Thank you Lynnet!
Well, now the volume is too low at 84.4. How much did you reduce it by? If you increase it by 4.6 you should get to 89, but you have to be careful not to do this too often or it'll start to distort the sound.

Give that a try and let's see where we are then.

Thanks,
I've listened to your changes, and they're all good. Once you fix the volume, this should be good to go.

Just a question. Are you speaking very close to your mic? There are some muffled sounds that might be the result of being a bit too close to (or right in front of) the mic. When I was first getting started, I had some difficulty with this (ended up with a lot of loud P and S sounds). I started recording with my mouth beside, rather than in front of the mic, and that cleared it up completely.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Yes, I'm speaking too close, so I'll change that, thank you!
I will fix up the sound and send you the updated version.
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for, we are the change that we seek."
- B. Obama
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

- B. Obama
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Here is the updated version for the preface: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_00_salt_128kb.mp3
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: June 8th, 2023, 5:39 pm Here is Chapter 1 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_01_salt_128kb.mp3
Can you please start providing the total time for each of your chapters? It helps me determine whether the time I have available is sufficient for listening.

I’ll listen to these tomorrow.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Absolutely! Sorry about that.
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: June 8th, 2023, 5:42 pm Here is the updated version for the preface: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_00_salt_128kb.mp3
Hi Lucie,

This one's PL OK now!

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
LucieLutin

Post by LucieLutin »

Thank you!
- B. Obama
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

LucieLutin wrote: June 8th, 2023, 5:39 pm Here is Chapter 1 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/animalrights_01_salt_128kb.mp3
Hi Lucie,

I've listened to Chapter 1. Nicely read, but I do have a few PL notes for you:
  • Starting at 5:52, you read “written, as the author informs us, to those wonderful productions of Mr. Paine and Mrs. Wollstonecraft, such a theory as the present…”

However, the text reads “written, as the author informs us, “to evince by demonstrative arguments the perfect equality of what is called the irrational species to the human.” The further opinion is expressed that “after those wonderful productions of Mr. Paine and Mrs. Wollstonecraft, such a theory as the present…” Those missing words need to be added.
  • At 10:30-31, you read “…which can ultimately be led to be a sufficient one…” but the text reads “…which can ultimately be held to be a sufficient one…” I believe this affects the meaning, and needs to be corrected.
  • From about 13:00 until 20:10, there’s a noticeable increase in background noise. The Checker says that your background noise is 43.9 dB, which is a bit high, and could be distracting for your reader. On future chapters, you might want to run noise reduction on your files to try and bring this down. I leave it to you whether you want to try and attempt it on this chapter, or just leave it (while noticeable, it doesn’t really interfere with listening).
  • At 21:23, you read “without tinary and injustice” but the text reads “without tyranny and injustice.” I think this needs correcting, as the word you've read might confuse the listener.
  • At 30:00, you read “But, on the other hand, it may be remembered, for the comfort and stage of every great reformation…”

However, the text reads “But, on the other hand, it may be remembered, for the comfort and encouragement of humanitarian workers, that these obstacles are, after all, only such as are inevitable in each branch of social improvement; for at every stage of every great reformation…” Again, this missing text needs to be added in.
Let me know if you have any questions.

This is a fascinating listen/read for me (I'm a vegetarian on ethical grounds).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: