Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Peter Why wrote: May 24th, 2023, 9:07 am I'm from London; I'd tend to pronounce it a bit more of the "hall". VOX-hall (with the "h" underemphasised, so it's more like "VOX-all")

Peter
Thank you! I think I can manage that! I recently did a cockney that I thought wasn't too bad, at least compared to Dick van Dyke! :mrgreen:
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: February 8th, 2022, 2:57 pm SCOTS / "SCOTCH" / SCOTTISH-GAELIC-ENGLISH pronunciation help needed!

Of course I don't really know the difference...
But I have several chunks of such dialogue to do.
(And listening to Engineer Mr. Scott while watching reruns of the original Star Trek will get me only so far.)
It's all part of a humorous/satiric story, so there are probably some oddities &/or exaggerations in the spelling, etc.
Any & all assistance is much appreciated! 8-)

"Sair maun ye greet, but hoot awa!
There's muckle yet, love isna' a'...
Nae more ye'll see, howe'er ye whine
The bonnie breeks of Auld Lang Syne!"
[This is supposed to be a "Highlands folk song"]

"Ye're sair welcome."

"I'll no be selling the fush for money." [referring to a fish]

"Come away ben; are ye daft, lass, that ye stand there keeking at a McWhinus?" [most likely a silly made-up name?]

"What said Ian McWhinus to you i' the burnside?"

" 'Twas nae muckle; he gi'ed me a saxpence for a fush."

"Siller! Siller from a McWhinus!" [meaning "silver" for referring to the "saxpence"?]

"The McWhinus is back."

"Curse him, I'll e'en kill him the night as he passes in his deil machine." [referring to a motorcar]

"The deil machine! Ye'll no be wanting of a mark the night!"

...SO....
It's been so long since I worked on this project, that the 2 wonderful recordings I received in early 2022(!) from Devorah & Gareth have "expired" into URL nonexistence.
Might I prevail upon someone to rescue me again?
I'm actually working on the project right now....
Many thanks & abject apologies to all. :oops:
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I need a German recording of this, please! There's no way I'll be able to muddle through so much German, even with tutoring. :P So I'll insert someone's recording into mine, if you're willing.
In der Sprache herrscht immer und erneut sich stets die sinnliche Anschauung, die vor Jahrtausenden mit dem gläubigen Sinn vermählt die Mythologien schuf, und gerade durch sie wird es am klarsten, wie Sprachenschöpfung und mythologische Entwicklung, der Ausdruck des Denkens und Glaubens, einst Hand in Hand gegangen.
Thank you in advance!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TriciaG wrote: June 8th, 2023, 12:07 pm I need a German recording of this, please! There's no way I'll be able to muddle through so much German, even with tutoring. :P So I'll insert someone's recording into mine, if you're willing.
In der Sprache herrscht immer und erneut sich stets die sinnliche Anschauung, die vor Jahrtausenden mit dem gläubigen Sinn vermählt die Mythologien schuf, und gerade durch sie wird es am klarsten, wie Sprachenschöpfung und mythologische Entwicklung, der Ausdruck des Denkens und Glaubens, einst Hand in Hand gegangen.
Thank you in advance!
I can do it tomorrow. It might be less jarring if you have another female voice in your recording.

And wow, this is a complex and convoluted sentence :shock:

Sonia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tricia, the file is ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/german_tricia.mp3

I can speak it even slower if you want to try recording it yourself.

glad I could help.

Sonia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! No, I don't want to attempt it by myself. 8-)
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

I have a lot of names in one of my things and I knew many of them and was able to find at least someone saying most of the rest of them by searching but I still can't find these anywhere

Itys (though Philomel for Itys sing)

Ceyx (let Halcyon mourn her Ceyx Brave)

and I did find one example of this last one being said but since I am asking anyway let's see if there is a second opinion

Cycnus (let Cycnus raise his dying song) the video I finally found it in pronounced it pysch-nus but I could find no second source

hopefully someone here knows
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AgnesRobert wrote: August 1st, 2023, 8:51 pmI have a lot of names in one of my things and I knew many of them and was able to find at least someone saying most of the rest of them by searching but I still can't find these anywhere

I found the stories of them on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyone_and_Ceyx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itys

Ceyx seems to be spoken See-ix, or Key-ix if you want to be closer to the Greek original. For Itys, I would say "Eye-tis" but I think "Ee-tis" is probably just as valid.
and I did find one example of this last one being said but since I am asking anyway let's see if there is a second opinion
Cycnus (let Cycnus raise his dying song) the video I finally found it in pronounced it pysch-nus but I could find no second source
It might be this Cycnus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycnus_of_Liguria and I would say "Siknus" or even "Kiknus" because it means "swan" and that's Greek and Latin for swan. I don't understand how anyone would put a 'p' at the beginning of this name :hmm:

Anyway: In these old names there are often no native speakers anymore to complain ;) so your versions may just be as well as mine.

Sonia
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

Kitty wrote: August 5th, 2023, 3:09 am
AgnesRobert wrote: August 1st, 2023, 8:51 pmI have a lot of names in one of my things and I knew many of them and was able to find at least someone saying most of the rest of them by searching but I still can't find these anywhere

I found the stories of them on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyone_and_Ceyx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itys

Ceyx seems to be spoken See-ix, or Key-ix if you want to be closer to the Greek original. For Itys, I would say "Eye-tis" but I think "Ee-tis" is probably just as valid.
It might be this Cycnus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycnus_of_Liguria and I would say "Siknus" or even "Kiknus" because it means "swan" and that's Greek and Latin for swan. I don't understand how anyone would put a 'p' at the beginning of this name :hmm:

Anyway: In these old names there are often no native speakers anymore to complain ;) so your versions may just be as well as mine.

Sonia
thank you very much!
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Hi there
I’m doing a solo project called The Land of Midian Revisited by Richard F Burton.

viewtopic.php?t=99302

I would really appreciate help to read the following passage in French so that I can drop it in.

Many thanks

Paul

Les théologians ne sont pas d'accord sur la question de savoir à quel peuple appartenait Choâïb (Shu'ayb), fils de Nawil, fils de Rawaïl, fils de Mour, fils d'Anka, fils de Madian, fils d'Abraham, l'ami de Dieu, quoiqu'il soit certain que sa langue était l'arabe. Les uns pensent qu'il appartenait aux races arabes éteintes, aux nations qui ont disparu, à quelque une de ces générations passées dont nous avons parlé. Suivant d'autres, il s'agirait ici des descendants d'el-Mahd, fils de Djandal, fils de Yâssob, fils de Madian, fils d'Abraham, dont Choâïb etait frére par la naissance. De cette race sortit un grand nombre de rois qui s'étaient dispersés dans des royaumes contigus les uns aux autres ou sépare's. Parmi ces rois il faut distinguer ceux qui étaient nommés Aboudjed, Hawaz, Houti, Kalamoun, Çafas et Kourichat, tous, comme nous venons de le dire, fils d'el-Mahd, fils de Djandal. Les lettres de l'alphabet sont représentées précisément par les noms de ces rois, oú l'on retrouve les vingt-quatre lettres sur lesquelles roule l'Aboudjed. Il a e'te' dit beaucoup d'autres choses à propos de ces lettres, comme nous l'avons fait remarquer dans cet ouvrage; mais il n'entre pas dans notre sujet de rapporter ici tous les systèmes contradictoires imaginés pour l'expliquer la signification des lettres. Aboudjed fut roi de la Mecque et de la partie du Hédjaz qui y confine. Hawaz et Houti régnérent conjointement dans le pays de Weddj (El-Wijh), qui est le territoire de Tayif, et la portion du Nedjd qui lui est contigue. Kalamoun exerçait la suzeraineté sur le royaume de Madian; il y a même des auteurs qui pensent que son autorité s'étendait conjointement sur tous les princes et les pays que nous venons de nommer. Le châtiment du jour de la nuée (Koran, xxvi. 189) eut lieu sous le re'gne de Kalamoun. Choâïb appelant ces impies à la pénitence, ils le traitèrent de menteur. Alors il les mena,ca du châtiment du jour de la nuée, à la suite de quoi une porte du feu du ciel fut ouverte sur eux. Choâïb se retire, avec ceux qui avaient cru, dans l'endroit connu sous le nom d'el Aïkah, qui est un fourré dans la direction de Madian. Cependant, lorsque lcs incrédules sentirent les effets de la vengeance céleste, et que, consumés par une chaleur terrible, ils comprirent enfin la vérité, ils se mirent à la recherche de Choâïb et de ceux qui avaient cru en lui. Ils les trouvérent abrités sous un nuage blanc, doucement rafraichi par le zéphire, et ne ressentant en rien les atteintes de la douleur. Ils les chassèrent de cet asile, s'imaginant qu'ils y trouveraient eux-mêmes un refuge contre le fléau qui les poursuivait. Mais Dieu changea cette nuée en un feu qui se précipita sur leurs têtes. Mountassir, fils d'el-Moundir el-Médéni, a parlé de ce peuple et a déploré son triste sort dans des vers où il dit:

"Les rois des enfants de Houti et de Çafas, qui vivaient dans l'opulence, et ceux de Hawaz, qui possédaient des palais et des appartements somptueux,

"Régnaient sur la contrée du Hédjaz, et leur beauté était semblable à celle des rayons du soleil ou à l'éclat de la rune;

"Ils habitaient l'emplacement de la maison sainte, ils adoucissaient les moeurs de leurs compatriotes et gouvernaient avec illustration et honneur....

"Rien de plus curieux que l'histoire de ces rois, le ré'cit de leurs guerres, de leurs actes, de la manière dont ils s'emparèrent de ces contrées et établirent leur domination, apres en avoir exterminé les premières possesseurs. Ceux-ci étaient des peuples dont nous avons parlé dans nos précédents ouvrages, en traitant ce sujet; nous appelons l'attention dans ce livre sur nous premiers écrits, et nous engageons le lecteur à les consulter."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PaulWelford wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 3:23 pmI’m doing a solo project called The Land of Midian Revisited by Richard F Burton.
viewtopic.php?t=99302
I would really appreciate help to read the following passage in French so that I can drop it in.
So what you need is a fully edited text that is taken as such and pasted in ? You will not try to emulate the pronunciation in your own voice, so I would need to speak slower and clearer for you to understand ?

I could volunteer to read the passage, but it would be a female voice, if that is ok for you.

I can probably do it tomorrow afternoon if that is not too late for you or unless someone else beats me to it.

Sonia
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Kitty wrote: September 26th, 2023, 12:08 am
PaulWelford wrote: September 23rd, 2023, 3:23 pmI’m doing a solo project called The Land of Midian Revisited by Richard F Burton.
viewtopic.php?t=99302
So what you need it a fully edited text that is taken as such and pasted in ? You will not try to emulate the pronunciation in your own voice, so I would need to speak slower and clearer for you to understand ?

I could volunteer to read the passage, but it would be a female voice, if that is ok for you.

I can probably do it tomorrow afternoon if that is not too late for you or unless someone else beats me to it.

Sonia
Hi Sonia

Thanks so much for responding. I’m happy to do either to be honest. Whatever you prefer. I tried reading it myself thinking that my schoolboy French would be good enough (I did a shorter and easier passage already) but I was so uncertain of some of these words that I feared I was making a hash of it. I don’t mind a female voice and if that would be easier for you than doing it slowly and clearly for me to copy, it will be fine.

Paul
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PaulWelford wrote: September 26th, 2023, 12:52 amThanks so much for responding. I’m happy to do either to be honest. Whatever you prefer. I tried reading it myself thinking that my schoolboy French would be good enough (I did a shorter and easier passage already) but I was so uncertain of some of these words that I feared I was making a hash of it. I don’t mind a female voice and if that would be easier for you than doing it slowly and clearly for me to copy, it will be fine.
yes reading it all in my natural speed of course would be less work than reading it slower, so if you don't mind inserting my voice, then that's probably the easiest for me. I have done slow "tutorials" before, but that was usually one sentence or two, not such a long paragraph :?

I could of course offer to review your "schoolboy French" and give you tips if anything is wrong if that is what you prefer. Maybe you are better than you think. But yes if you are too unsure of the pronunciation, then such a long passage would be a lot of work for you as well.

Sonia
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Kitty wrote: September 26th, 2023, 12:58 am
PaulWelford wrote: September 26th, 2023, 12:52 amThanks so much for responding. I’m happy to do either to be honest. Whatever you prefer. I tried reading it myself thinking that my schoolboy French would be good enough (I did a shorter and easier passage already) but I was so uncertain of some of these words that I feared I was making a hash of it. I don’t mind a female voice and if that would be easier for you than doing it slowly and clearly for me to copy, it will be fine.
yes reading it all in my natural speed of course would be less work than reading it slower, so if you don't mind inserting my voice, then that's probably the easiest for me. I have done slow "tutorials" before, but that was usually one sentence or two, not such a long paragraph :?

I could of course offer to review you "schoolboy French" and give you tips if anything is wrong if that is what you prefer. Maybe you are better than you think. But yes if you are too unsure of the pronunciation, then such a long passage would be a lot of work for you as well.

Sonia
Let’s go with you reading it then - thanks so much