SOLO Home Education Series Volume 4: Ourselves, Book II. Self Direction by Charlotte Mason-mtf

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
putzy a

Post by putzy a »

Home Education Series Volume 4: Ourselves, Book II. Self Direction, by Charlotte Mason (1842 - 1923)
This is Book II of the fourth volume in the Home Education Series detailing Charlotte Mason's method of education. This volume is subtitled Ourselves and Book II is titled Self Knowledge. The series is used today by many home-schoolers around the globe and is considered a classic reference by the founder of the home-schooling movement. (Summary by L Andrus)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100782077

Target completion date: 2023-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Education

Keywords that describe the book: i will send these later before cataloging.

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Home Education Series Volume 4: Ourselves, Book II. Self Direction. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Home Education Series Ourselves Volume 4 Book II Self Direction, by Charlotte Mason. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Home Education Series Volume 4: Ourselves, Book II. Self Direction, by Charlotte Mason. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Home Education Series Volume 4: Ourselves, Book II. Self Direction, by Charlotte Mason."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: cmvol4bk2_##_mason_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. cmvol4bk2_01_mason_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Linda Andrus
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, I was hoping someone would pick this up! It'll be nice to finally finish the series. I will be happy to MC for you. Give me a minute to get things set up.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The link you have in the first post only has Volume 4 book I. This one has both I and II: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100782077
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you should be all set to go. I didn't see any mention of your already having a DPL picked out, so I took the liberty of adding a tilde to the subject line to show that you want one. If I am wrong in this, you can always remove the tilde yourself. And do let me know, in that case, so I can add that person in!

Let me know if you need anything more!
putzy a

Post by putzy a »

Thank you for getting everything set up. Sorry I messed up the link. I don't have a DPL so thanks for the tilde. I will be getting started soon.
Linda Andrus
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No need to apologize. Just so long as we have something usable. :) We can wait here for a day or two to try to pick up a DPL.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I could DPL this for you.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
putzy a

Post by putzy a »

Hi InTheDesert ,
It would be wonderful having you DPL for me for this interesting project. Coming in near the end of the volumes, I haven't read/listened to the previous ones but I am enjoying becoming more familiar with her work.

I have the first 4 sections up. Would you prefer to grab them from the Magic Window or would you like me to post the links in the thread here?

mightyfelix
Would you please add our new DPL to the MW priviledges, please.
Linda Andrus
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

putzy a wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:27 pm mightyfelix
Would you please add our new DPL to the MW priviledges, please.
Indeed I will. I will also move this project to Going Solo. :thumbs:
putzy a

Post by putzy a »

That was mighty fast!
Thank you Devorah. :D
Linda Andrus
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

putzy a wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:27 pm I have the first 4 sections up. Would you prefer to grab them from the Magic Window or would you like me to post the links in the thread here?
Thankyou! I have a program that checks and downloads them automatically for me so, provided the section is section to Ready for PL, I will know automatically :)
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 1 is PL OK!

Sections 2 and 3 are missing the LV disclaimer.
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 4 is also missing the disclaimer.
Emotions
putzy a

Post by putzy a »

Well, that is a tad embarrassing. I know its been a while since I recorded last, but to miss the disclaimer, that is just downright sad. :oops: :roll: Promise to get in the groove soon.

And just when I've changed the last time and flipped to "Ready for spot PL" my hand slid across my touch pad and it looked for a minute like I had just erased the first four sections. After a minor heart stoppage, I took a breath and noticed I had just moved the rows to the bottom of the MW and I could move them back myself, thank the Lord. :clap:
Linda Andrus
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

putzy a wrote: June 20th, 2023, 7:34 pm Well, that is a tad embarrassing. I know its been a while since I recorded last, but to miss the disclaimer, that is just downright sad. :oops: :roll: Promise to get in the groove soon.

And just when I've changed the last time and flipped to "Ready for spot PL" my hand slid across my touch pad and it looked for a minute like I had just erased the first four sections. After a minor heart stoppage, I took a breath and noticed I had just moved the rows to the bottom of the MW and I could move them back myself, thank the Lord. :clap:
So you've got the disclaimer in there now which is excellent, but the intro doesn't match the first post. I think Section 2 should go something like this:
"Chapter 1 of Home Education Series Volume 4: Ourselves, Book II. Self Direction, by Charlotte Mason. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Part I Conscience Section I Conscience in the House of Body Ch I The Court of Appeal"
My understanding is that there needs to be some clear numbering at the start so that people can roughly tell where they are in the audiobook without needing to read it from a screen.
Emotions