[Comp] Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume V -lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume V, Indiana Narratives , by Various

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/slave-narratives-a-folk-history-of-slavery-in-the-united-states-from-interviews-with-former-slaves-volume-v-indiana-narratives-by-various/

These volumes of slave narratives are the product of the Federal Writers Project sponsored by the Library of Congress and the Work Project Administration. They consist of verbatim records of personal interviews with former slaves conducted during 1936-1938

"These life histories, taken down as far as possible in the narrators' words, constitute an invaluable body of unconscious evidence or indirect source material, . . . The narratives belong to folk history—history recovered from the memories and lips of participants or eye-witnesses,” This is Volume Five for the state of Alabama, in a series of 34 volumes. (Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13579

Target completion date: 2023-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 64
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1941
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: slavery, civil war, abolition, U.S. History, emancipation, interviews, oral history, folk history, wpa, federal writers project, work project administration

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume V, Indiana Narratives . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume V, Indiana Narratives , by Various. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume V, Indiana Narratives , by Various. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume V, Indiana Narratives , by Various."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: slavenarrativesvol5_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. slavenarrativesvol5_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by silverquill on June 7th, 2023, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

DPL signing in.

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you, M. So good to have you. :9:
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Setting this up.

Ready to go. Was it intentional to set this up as a solo?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynnet wrote: June 7th, 2023, 11:44 am Setting this up.

Ready to go. Was it intentional to set this up as a solo?
Yep!
Actually, this is going to be a duet with PhyllisV
I've been DPL for a number of her solo projects and she was interested in doing this together.
I thought the solo format would work best,

Would it be possible to set her up as co-BC so she can have access to the MW

It will be a week or two before we start -- unless I'm able to get a head start.

The long group project is almost finish, with just a few stragglers, so I may set the next one up soon.
I'm going to do Ohio next which has only 33 sections. :wink:

Thanks so much for taking these under your wing. :9:
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Phyllis is co-BC.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Thanks Lynnet - I'll get started this weekend
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sections 3 - 5 and 7 - 9 are ready for PL
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: June 20th, 2023, 2:20 pm Sections 3 - 5 and 7 - 9 are ready for PL
Thanks, Phyllis!
I may not get off to such a fast start -- some setbacks in our situation here.
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

PhyllisV wrote: June 20th, 2023, 2:20 pm Sections 3 - 5 and 7 - 9 are ready for PL
What a great bunch of recordings. Enjoyed listening to you very much. All 6 sections are PL OK.

M
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

silverquill wrote: June 20th, 2023, 8:25 pm
Thanks, Phyllis!
I may not get off to such a fast start -- some setbacks in our situation here.
Larry, no problem at all. If it feels overwhelming and you'd like me to take some of the male sections, I'd be happy to. So far the female sections are very short. But I don't mind at all if you are running behind - whatever works best for you.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

mleigh wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 2:43 am
What a great bunch of recordings. Enjoyed listening to you very much. All 6 sections are PL OK.

M
Thanks very much!
I have uploaded sections 10, 13, 15, and 16
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

PhyllisV wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 7:50 am
mleigh wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 2:43 am

M
Thanks very much!
I have uploaded sections 10, 13, 15, and 16
All 4 sections are also PL OK.

Great job.

M
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

3 more for you - 18, 27, 28.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

PhyllisV wrote: June 24th, 2023, 10:33 am 3 more for you - 18, 27, 28.
And 3 more PL OKs for you.

Thanks

M