ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hello Todd,

Here is Angelica having some luck at the game's table and trying to sound manly while wearing men’s clothing! :D

Sonia, did I (Angelica’s humble reader) untangle the “f's” and “s’s?”correctly this time? :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gamester_angelica_4.mp3

Time: 3:31

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Glad you were having luck at the tables - that makes one of us....

Thanks, Todd
valroth

Post by valroth »

ToddHW wrote: June 12th, 2023, 10:21 am Glad you were having luck at the tables - that makes one of us....

Thanks, Todd
:lol:
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 12th, 2023, 8:49 amHere is Angelica having some luck at the game's table and trying to sound manly while wearing men’s clothing! :D
Sonia, did I (Angelica’s humble reader) untangle the “f's” and “s’s?”correctly this time? :lol:
:shock: Angelica has an extraordinary deep voice here, she sounds manlier than her betrothed now :lol: well done, Val, and it gives a good contrast to her real voice later on.

I only have a few suggestions here:

> at 0:58: (p. 180) "come on then , sir, six" – you say "fix", it is all about numbers in this game though

> at 2:20: (p. 181) "pish, a trifle – oh my heart" – if I may make a suggestion here: I have the feeling that "oh my heart" is spoken in despair as an aside by the "real" Angelica" who is aghast that Valere could play away her picture. For that one moment she loses her manliness, before she gets back into character again

> at 2:38: (p. 181) "oh villain" – I would suggest the same here, Angelica might say this under her breath in her real voice before getting back into character

thanks

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:44 am
valroth wrote: June 12th, 2023, 8:49 amHere is Angelica having some luck at the game's table and trying to sound manly while wearing men’s clothing! :D
:shock: Angelica has an extraordinary deep voice here, she sounds manlier than her betrothed now :lol: well done, Val, and it gives a good contrast to her real voice later on.

I only have a few suggestions here:

> at 0:58: (p. 180) "come on then , sir, six" – you say "fix", it is all about numbers in this game though

> at 2:20: (p. 181) "pish, a trifle – oh my heart" – if I may make a suggestion here: I have the feeling that "oh my heart" is spoken in despair as an aside by the "real" Angelica" who is aghast that Valere could play away her picture. For that one moment she loses her manliness, before she gets back into character again

> at 2:38: (p. 181) "oh villain" – I would suggest the same here, Angelica might say this under her breath in her real voice before getting back into character

thanks

Sonia
Kitty!

All corrections are complete.

My first instinct was also to read those “asides” just as you suggested but after I’d recorded them, doubted myself thinking I’d erred. But you’re absolutely right, and I feel it’s now more convincing. Great guidance, thank you!

Time: 3:33

Val
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Sonia,

I’m into the final act and yup, those darn Ffffs are baffling me again! lol I need your coaching.

Script says: "but how hard ’tis to efface the firft Impreffion

Is “efface” really erase? But I’m quite sure “impreffion” is impression, right?

Thanks for your patience.

Val
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:21 amIs “efface” really erase? But I’m quite sure “impreffion” is impression, right?
"efface" is actually a word, a French loanword, shipped over to England by the conquering Normans. It means basically the same as "erase". And yes, impreffion is impression.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:46 amAll corrections are complete.
at 0:58 I still hear "fix" instead of "six" :hmm: maybe you overlooked this note ?
My first instinct was also to read those “asides” just as you suggested but after I’d recorded them, doubted myself thinking I’d erred. But you’re absolutely right, and I feel it’s now more convincing.
go with your first instincts :lol: and yes, this sounds so much more in character now. What a heart-wrenching sigh :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Ughhhh! lol I repeated the “fix!” :oops: Tis now “SIX!” lol And agreed, these revised lines are more in character...

Thanks for demystifying the Act V pronunciations too. :D Onward I go!

Time: 3:33

Val
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 13th, 2023, 8:31 amUghhhh! lol I repeated the “fix!” :oops: Tis now “SIX!” lol
:lol: that happened to me so often already that I repeat the same mistake. But all's well now and my finely atuned ears now hear "six" :thumbs: PL ok, thanks

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Todd:

Here is Angelica calling to her beloved Valere to “come baaaack!” just like in the movie Shane. :lol: (Cue the violins and get the tissues!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gamester_angelica_5.mp3

Time: 5:41

Sonia, I’m quite sure you’ll be catching some boo boos! I did add a “hahahaha" at the end thinking “omnes” means a collective response, not just an exit?

Val
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, "Omnes" is Latin for "all"

Thanks, Todd
valroth

Post by valroth »

ToddHW wrote: June 19th, 2023, 11:34 am Yes, "Omnes" is Latin for "all"

Thanks, Todd
Phew! I’m learning after all!