What name to use?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TarheelJoe

Post by TarheelJoe »

I'm new here, and just wondering what most people do for their "read by..." name?

I don't want to use my real name for privacy reasons. But I don't want it to be something silly either.

What do you all prefer to do?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Are you comfortable using "Tarheel Joe"?

Some use their forum name, some pseudonyms, some their real names. I use "Tricia G".

One person I recall used their first and middle name.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You can also skip the phrase "read by [your name]" if you want, it's usually optional. I don't include it in my recordings, but if I have to, like in the credits of a dramatic work, I use my forum name (which is a bit silly, but I don't mind :mrgreen: )
MissJennyVoices

Post by MissJennyVoices »

TriciaG wrote: April 5th, 2023, 1:52 pm Are you comfortable using "Tarheel Joe"?

Some use their forum name, some pseudonyms, some their real names. I use "Tricia G".

One person I recall used their first and middle name.
That's great advice - thank you! After reading this, I will be Jenny C.
8-) Jenny 8-)
MissJennyVoices

"You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book & read to a child." --Dr. Seuss
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Perhaps it's easier to look at it the opposite way and go the other way, think of bad names first and then everything that you would choose won't be as bad as that. Bad babies names that were apparently chosen for children, according to the internet right now, and there are plenty more:

Espn,Abcde,I’munique,Elizabreth,Aliviyah,Beberly,North West,Heaven Lee
L’Oreal,Phelony,Fifi,Facebook,Jihad,Colon,Herpe,Jammy
Sssst
Princecharles
Audio
Hashtag,Linoleum,Fetus,Germ,Thorn,McDonald, Five Guys, In and Out
Banana, Lasagna and Salami,Carrion (roadkill)

I didn't see the one I thought was pretty bad from decades ago, which was given to some poor kid, and that is, " Depressed cupboard cheescake "

Take a stroll down search engine lane for bad names, and like people reading this lot, everyone will agree that anything you choose or have or come up with in future is just brilliant !!

I would think that just like in real life, where a few people initially think a good name makes you, eventually you come to realise it's the person who makes the name not the other way around. your reputation grows and so on.
SamKool

Post by SamKool »

Try using character name or pen name generator.
It will give you something close to your name but still sounding very different.
Hope this helps. :D