Going solo

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

Hi Librivox,

I would like to record a complete book. How do I find out whether a book on Guggenheim.org has been "librivoxed" or not?
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Search for it?

librivox.org, then enter the author or title (or part of the title) in the search box, upper right corner.

Or if you want us to do the search for you, let us know the book title and author - and/or the link to the text.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

TriciaG wrote: April 29th, 2023, 8:52 am Search for it?

librivox.org, then enter the author or title (or part of the title) in the search box, upper right corner.

Or if you want us to do the search for you, let us know the book title and author - and/or the link to the text.
The book I wanted to read has been read. I am looking to read non-fiction and something not too long. Is it likely that most books on that website have been read?
VO gal

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We do allow more than one version of works. We call it "choice of voice". But if you prefer not to overlap, that's okay, too.

I don't know that site or how extensive its collection is, so I couldn't tell you. :)

I did a quick search in our Book Suggestions forum for "first solo". It returns any post with those two words in it, so it's not a GREAT way to find such works, but it's a start.

Here are some of the threads for nonfiction works, that were suggested as being short enough to be good as a first solo:

From Dixie To Canada by Homor Uri Johnson viewtopic.php?t=80206
An appeal to the women of the nominally free states 1837 viewtopic.php?t=71412
A Boquet Of Flowers In Rhyme On The Liquor Trade by Reverend H.W. Hampe: viewtopic.php?t=86250
Historic Doubts Relative to Napoleon Buonaparte by Richard Whately viewtopic.php?t=82845
Why are so few men in the churches? and remedies by Queen, Charles N. viewtopic.php?t=71884
Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel: viewtopic.php?t=95658

There are certainly more over in Book Suggestions, but it's hard to find them. :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

What topic or area are you interested in? Maybe start with a short article or selection from a longer book for the Nonfiction Collection. You can use any source as long as it is clearly in the public domain. Anything published before 1928 currently works for Librivox.
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've got a huge spread sheet of potential books that I'm interested in doing, mostly as group projects, but they could be solos.
Let us know more specifically what you might be interested in and I'll pull out a few selections for you.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy »

Greetings, I am interested in reading a specific memoir;
Ten Years in the Saddle (the memoir of William Woods Averell 1851-1862.)
This was edited by Edward K Eckert and Nicholas J Amato (two St. Bonaventure University professors);published in 1978 by Presidio Press)
Are the memoirs “in the public domain” or can folks please advise me on the process of doing an audio recording.
Thanks and ‘ Go Bonnie’s!”
Dan
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Dan,

For the purposes of recording for LibriVox, a book must be in the public domain in the U.S., where copyright lasts for 95 years after the date of publication for anything published prior to 1978. Post 1978 it changed to 70 years after the death of the author, editor or translator. At this point this generally means published in 1927 or before. So your 1978 publication would not be PD for us until Jan 1, 2049. If you are not in the U.S., then you should also consider whether what you record is PD in the country in which you reside.

General guide to U.S. copyright term

https://guides.library.cornell.edu/copyright/publicdomain
Jo
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy »

Thank you for the quick reply and the clarification.
Well wishes
Dan
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

silverquill wrote: April 29th, 2023, 4:21 pm I've got a huge spread sheet of potential books that I'm interested in doing, mostly as group projects, but they could be solos.
Let us know more specifically what you might be interested in and I'll pull out a few selections for you.
Hi silverquill,

I am revisiting this topic. Ideally I'd like to read books on healthy lifestyle. They weren't that popular decades ago but I see some books about health/womens health. Nothing too medical. Is there anything on your list like that?
VO gal

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There's Physiology and Calisthenics. For Schools and Families, by Catharine Esther Beecher:

https://archive.org/details/physiologycalist00beecrich/

It's pretty long, and you'd have to figure out what to do with any diagrams (possibly the text explains them well enough that you wouldn't have to describe them or read captions, but I didn't dig in far enough to see).

Here's a bio on the author: https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/catharine-esther-beecher