one minute test recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
Adrianher

Post by Adrianher »

I'm not using a usb microphone because i do not have one currently, I do apologize for that. Thank you to anyone who listen and suggests improvements. I appreciate them and you deeply. if the link does not work, please do tell me. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adrianher.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for submitting your test recording.

The main issue here is the volume which is far to low at only 75.1 decibels.
Our target is 89 dBs with an acceptable range of 86-92 dBs.
You may be able to use the Amplify feature in Audacity to bring this up, but it is better to adjust your settings so that your raw recording is closer to 89. You might want to be closer to the mic, but probably increasing your input gain will be the best option.

On the word "previously" there is a slight stumble. These are the sorts of things proof listeners will catch and asked to be corrected. Editing is a big part of the recording process, to listen for these things before submitting a full recording.

Also, take some time to browse the forums, read the Newbie Guide to Recording, and check out some of the video tutorials.
New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Please post another recording here so we can check your parameters again.

Here is a program that I use to measure the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Adrianher

Post by Adrianher »

Thank you very much for the rapid response and the advice given! Have a wonderful day! Also, How do you check the decibels for the audio using audacity?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Adrianher wrote: May 29th, 2023, 10:00 pm Thank you very much for the rapid response and the advice given! Have a wonderful day! Also, How do you check the decibels for the audio using audacity?
Yeah, unfortunately, among its wide range of features, this is mysteriously absent from Audacity.
That is why a family member of a LibriVoxer wrote Checker for us.

There is an Audacity Plug-in that will give you some information on volume that you can use to determine the settings to use for amplification up or down. Phil Chinevert our "LibriVox Video Guy" who has done some many tutorials also recommends another method for adjusting volume. Here are the relevant links:
=====
ReplayGain[/b]
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.
===
Phil's tutorial:
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Have been able to revise your test recording for review??
~ Larry
Adrianher

Post by Adrianher »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Adrianher wrote: December 26th, 2023, 9:04 pm Redo of my 1-min test recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adrianher.mp3
Wow, long time for an update, but fortunately I had your post bookmarked so it popped up.
I am glad to give you the good news that this new recording passes all requirements and you are free to record something in an actual project.

I suggest starting out with somethin short, maybe the weekly or fortnightly poem, or something in the short works category. Read carefully the description and instructions in the initial post of each project, and follow everything closely.

All the best!
~ Larry