ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

stepheather wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 7:04 am
At any rate, I've been logging in at 21:30 IST, which equates to 0900 PDT...and 1100 CDT, so I think 1700 BST is correct!

Phew. I feel like I'm running a mental marathon. :help:

Stephanie
Whew! you lost me at IST. But wait! Don't bother to explain. I won't remember it, along with all the other acronyms I see in every essay/article/blog, everybody trying to convey so much info so fast, they don't convey anything at all. Great example, though! :D
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

This is a handy time zone converter as you can enter cities and it will account for daylight savings.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20230605T160000&p1=32&p2=136

So for example, Baton Rouge is currently Central Daylight Time (UTC -5) and London is British Standard Time (UTC +1), six hours ahead, thus 11am CDT = 5pm BST.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Time Zones: a proposal:
Some LV member should add a page to our wiki called Time Zones, which does not yet exist. The page could list all the acronyms that apply, and all the various web tools available for calculating times. We are spread out far enough and the question is asked often enough that the page deserves to exist. All you gotta do is PM TriciaG for a username, and you're good to go. At least, that's how it worked a few years ago when I added my first page.

Any volunteers?
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

msfry wrote: June 1st, 2023, 6:40 am Here's what the Brave Summarizer says:
As of 01 Jun 2023, Louisiana is not on Daylight Saving Time. Louisiana first observed Daylight Saving Time in 1970 and has observed it for 54 years between 1970 and 2023.3 However, if the federal Sunshine Protection Act becomes law while daylight saving time is being observed, Louisiana will never return to standard time. Louisiana is in the Central Time zone and is -6 hours behind Greenwich Time and -5 hours in daylight saving time.
Does sunshine need protection in Louisiana? Things mus be bad down over there!

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by msfry »

Algy Pug wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 5:00 pm Does sunshine need protection in Louisiana? Things mus be bad down over there!
No, silly. People need protection from dusk and dawn occurring at inconvenient hours. We're driving around in the dark either in the morning or at night. The war is between who prefers which. Astronomers of course prefer dark skies at night, parents prefer to put their kids on the bus during daylight hours, farmers like to get an early start, so these groups agree. But whether its DST or Standard Time which delivers that here, I can't figure. AND I DON'T WANT TO KNOW. JUST TELL ME WHAT TIME I'm supposed to set my clocks to, and I'll be on my way.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Well, Pooh! Have a last minute change of plans, so won’t be able to make today’s Zoom session. 🙁. Looking forward to watching a recording some time.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: June 5th, 2023, 7:36 am Well, Pooh! Have a last minute change of plans, so won’t be able to make today’s Zoom session. 🙁. Looking forward to watching a recording some time.
Well, Pooh! I was looking forward to seeing you and finding out how you're doing after that tornado rocked your neighborhood. :(
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I'm desperately needing to get back to LibriVox "work," especially recording, and talking with you all helps motivate me. So thanks!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Can't believe I space out the meeting this morning. I'd been looking forward to this particular meeting a great deal. I'm so disappointed. We may be on the road by July, but life is a bit topsy-turvy right now, so who knows.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:57 am Can't believe I space out the meeting this morning. I'd been looking forward to this particular meeting a great deal. I'm so disappointed. We may be on the road by July, but life is a bit topsy-turvy right now, so who knows.
Yep, sorry you and Mary weren't there. Ya'll missed an information-packed session, recorded, followed by a gab session of enjoyable fellowship.

Which brings me to this potential topic: Zoom on Smart Phones.

I know people can attend Zoom sessions on their smart phone if a computer is not available. Gotta learn now to do that myself, so for next month, can someone give a tour of that platform? (I know how to share an iPhone screen onto the Zoom laptop platform in case you need help with that.)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm sorry I cut out of the session when I did; I should have explained: I'm working on Michael Moseley's 5:2 fasting schedule. Today was a "fast" day, with only 600 kcal to eat ... and I had my one meal (chana masala and green salad) sitting by me, calling to me.

I'm looking forward to an Accents Zoom. There's an excellent book on the subject (which I've been too lazy to work my way through): "How to do accents", by Edda Sharpe and Jan Haydn Rowles. It has a CD of samples and exercises.

Peter.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 5th, 2023, 11:15 am
silverquill wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:57 am Can't believe I space out the meeting this morning. I'd been looking forward to this particular meeting a great deal. I'm so disappointed. We may be on the road by July, but life is a bit topsy-turvy right now, so who knows.
Yep, sorry you and Mary weren't there. Ya'll missed an information-packed session, recorded, followed by a gab session of enjoyable fellowship.

Which brings me to this potential topic: Zoom on Smart Phones.

I know people can attend Zoom sessions on their smart phone if a computer is not available. Gotta learn now to do that myself, so for next month, can someone give a tour of that platform? (I know how to share an iPhone screen onto the Zoom laptop platform in case you need help with that.)
I'd like to know more about Zoom on cell phones, too.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chat notes from the 6/5: (I just realized I can copy all these notes and share the imformational ones here. Some good stuff, yeah! :D
williamjones to Everyone 11:34 AM
My goto word count, speaking-length website:
https://wordstotime.com/

Stephanie (stepheather) to Everyone 11:44 AM
if people want to know about hyphens, en-dashes, and em-dashes...I know some stuff

Stephanie (stepheather) 12:23 PM
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs from 1837 is my current project--there are a lot of sections available (although there are a couple of dozen tables and forms...which I figure I'll end up recording). In case you're curious. :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:36 am Chat notes from the 6/5: (I just realized I can copy all these notes and share the imformational ones here. Some good stuff, yeah! :D
williamjones to Everyone 11:34 AM
My goto word count, speaking-length website:
https://wordstotime.com/

Stephanie (stepheather) to Everyone 11:44 AM
if people want to know about hyphens, en-dashes, and em-dashes...I know some stuff

Stephanie (stepheather) 12:23 PM
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs from 1837 is my current project--there are a lot of sections available (although there are a couple of dozen tables and forms...which I figure I'll end up recording). In case you're curious. :)
Thank you, Michele.
This is a good idea to continue going forward.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison