[HISTORY] The Story of Coventry, by Mary Dormer Harris - availle

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

The Story of Coventry, by Mary Dormer Harris (1867 - 1936)
A look at the major figures, institutions and figures in the history and development of the city of Coventry. (Summary by Paul Lawley-Jones)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58996

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Middle Ages/Middle History; *Non-fiction/History/Early Modern
Keywords that describe the book: history, middle ages, england, medieval, city, coventry
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # (part #) of The Story of Coventry . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Story of Coventry , by Mary Dormer Harris. Section Title as per MW."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter # (part #)." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Story of Coventry , by Mary Dormer Harris."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: storyofcoventry_##_harris_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. storyofcoventry_01_harris_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by paullawleyjones on June 7th, 2023, 1:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
paullawleyjones

There is no Wikipedia link for the author, so here is a link to a page about her on the Leamington website: https://leamingtonhistory.co.uk/mary-dormer-harris-1867-1936/
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
paullawleyjones

NOTE FOR DPL

I have moved some footnotes into the body of the text where I think they are both necessary for clarification and to preserve the flow of the text where a footnote would be unduly cumbersome. To that end, here is a link to my edited text.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since England has just finished (will catalog in the weekend), I'm ready to take this one up as well.

Let me have a look before I greenlight your text changes just to make sure you're following our text policy. :wink:

Will set this up tomorrow; my cat insists it's time for bed...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
paullawleyjones

Availle wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:19 am Let me have a look before I greenlight your text changes just to make sure you're following our text policy. :wink:
Could you link that text policy?
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

paullawleyjones

Availle wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:19 am Let me have a look before I greenlight your text changes just to make sure you're following our text policy. :wink:
Here are some examples. The bold text were footnotes:

Section 5

Certain documents called indentures (so called because the parchment on which the two deeds were written was so cut (indented) that they would exactly fit or dovetail into one another when put together at any future time) would then be drawn up in duplicate by the clerk, the names of the chief of the folk present appearing therein as witnesses to the deed.

The system of presenting criminals by means of a jury (the direct ancestor of our modern Grand Jury) obtained here as in the town court, but in doubtful or serious cases the accused would be condemned or acquitted not in accordance with evidence, but through an appeal to the interposition of Providence by means of trial by ordeal or battle.

Section 11

The mayor and bailiffs sent a present to Richard Wood's house, namely "ccc (300) paynemaynes (i.e. Fine white bread; _panis dominicus_, or lord's bread,) a pipe of rede wyne, a dosyn capons of haut grece (i.e. fat,) a dosyn of grete fat pykes, a grete panyer full of pescodes and another panyer of pipyns and orynges, & ii [2] cofyns of counfetys, & a pot of grene gynger."

Section 14

And that day, the petition goes on yet more bitterly, "these men were in the tavern setting, avauntyng and reresyng of their gret riotes, saying that if your seid besecher (_i.e._ petitioner) sueyd any persone ... for that cause by the course of your laweys, that they wold slee (_i.e._ slay) hym."
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, I've set this up for you. I hope there will be a more interesting summary once you've read the book. :D

A few things:
- our text policy is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies
I'm fine with your including the footnotes as you do; for the shorter i.e. ones you can just change your voice a little. However, the long ones I would still use the "footnote/end footnote" everywhere to indicate that this is not the main text. Makes things less confusing. you can also move the footnote to the end of the sentence if that is less disruptive, but I can see that this is not always possible.

- I see you're doing something weird with different intros/outros for sections and chapters.
I assume that there are chapters that you want to break up into sections?

We use the "section #" at the very beginning and end to make sure people who can't look at their audio device or are visually impaired can quickly find out where they are in the recording. In order to not be confusing, you'll have to be consistent. So, I suggest you use "section #" in all the intros/outros at the very beginning/end; you can announce the beginning of a chapter after our LV disclaimer.

Let me know if you have further questions about this.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
paullawleyjones

Availle wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:17 am I hope there will be a more interesting summary once you've read the book. :D
Longer? Yes. More interesting? ...
Availle wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:17 am However, the long ones I would still use the "footnote/end footnote" everywhere to indicate that this is not the main text.
That's what I normally do, and there are plenty of those, too.
Availle wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:17 am I see you're doing something weird with different intros/outros for sections and chapters. I assume that there are chapters that you want to break up into sections?
Um, no. My intros are all the same, except for the shortened copyright statement on all sections after the first. The endings are different depending on whether it's just the end of a section, or the end of a chapter. If you listen to The Story of London intros/outros, you'll see I've been consistent throughout.
Availle wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:17 am So, I suggest you use "section #" in all the intros/outros at the very beginning/end; you can announce the beginning of a chapter after our LV disclaimer.
This is exactly what I do. For multi-section chapters, I say "Section # of [book name.] [Copyright blurb.] [Book name] by [author name,] [Chapter # part #.]"

The 'section #' is the file sequence number, and the 'chapter # etc.' is the 'Section Title' at the end of the intro.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

paullawleyjones

Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

paullawleyjones

Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

If you're looking for a DPL, I'm up for the job.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
paullawleyjones

JorWat wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 10:37 am If you're looking for a DPL, I'm up for the job.
That would be great, thank you. Please use my edited text linked in "Note For DPL" in the first post.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

paullawleyjones

Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry for the late response.

JorWat added into the DPL slot; moving to "Going Solo".

As for this one:
paullawleyjones wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:57 am The endings are different depending on whether it's just the end of a section, or the end of a chapter. If you listen to The Story of London intros/outros, you'll see I've been consistent throughout.
Availle wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:17 am So, I suggest you use "section #" in all the intros/outros at the very beginning/end; you can announce the beginning of a chapter after our LV disclaimer.
This is exactly what I do. For multi-section chapters, I say "Section # of [book name.] [Copyright blurb.] [Book name] by [author name,] [Chapter # part #.]"
The 'section #' is the file sequence number, and the 'chapter # etc.' is the 'Section Title' at the end of the intro.
I think I get what you're trying to do, however please change the outros: to "end of chapter x - end of section y" to conform with our standard.
This is to avoid confusion for listeners; for example "end of chapter 5" and then starting with "section 15" in two consecutive sections is utterly confusing.

If you have done this in the "London" project as well, please do change the outros for the respective sections as well - a simple copy/paste will do. Mark these section as "Ready for PL" in the MW and I'll check them before cataloging.

Thank you.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Both PL OK. Will get back to you on Section 3 tomorrow, hopefully.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.