COMPLETE[PLAY] The Gamester by Centlivre - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: May 21st, 2023, 2:10 am
ToddHW wrote: May 19th, 2023, 11:38 amIn Act 2
@0:28, methinks it is "task" not "talk". You can decide if it really makes a difference.
indeed it is "task" and it makes more sense. I corrected the two words, the rest stays the same:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gamester_wealthy_2.mp3
Recording time: 8:26 min.

Thanks for the careful listening and I'm happy you liked it.

Sonia
PL OK.

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Greg. The marquis definitely is a conman from the start, so it's even good that you don't make any overdone French accent. :lol: It's a wonder they fall for the guy's spiel. (well...they don't for long) He seems to take his defeat with humour in the end. Somehow not a totally unlikable character. I enjoyed it.

I'll mark Act 4 PL ok.

PL notes for Act 2:

> at 1:24: (p. 147) "in vain you sable weeds put on" - you say "fable"
> at 1:39: (p. 147) " 'tis well for those of cupid's foes" - you say "these", it wouldn't matter much but "those" rhymes with "foes"
> at 2:20: (p. 148) "you'll speed a great deal better" - you say "she"

PL notes for Act 3:

> from 3:22 to 3:29: (p. 165) "yes fellow sir, he has a heart I find I'll moderate my passion" - you can cut this version, you repeated it right after and the "aside" is more fitting the way you said it in that version

PL notes for Act 5:

> at 0:50: (p. 194) "hahaha" - this can indeed be cut, because they are laughing at the marquis, so he definitely wouldn't join in ;)

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and another great performance, thank you Inkell. Your sweet voice for Favourite and the dead-pan voice for Boxkeeper contrast well, sufficiently different to be distinguished. :thumbs: I have no idea what that dice game is about :lol: but you presented it nicely.

All acts PL ok right away, well done !

Sonia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Kitty wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:25 pm and another great performance, thank you Inkell. Your sweet voice for Favourite and the dead-pan voice for Boxkeeper contrast well, sufficiently different to be distinguished. :thumbs: I have no idea what that dice game is about :lol: but you presented it nicely.

All acts PL ok right away, well done !

Sonia
Thanks Sonia and welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your break :thumbs:
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:53 pmHere are the corrected files for the Marquis of Hazard:
thanks, and now alll PL ok

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:34 am
GregGiordano wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:53 pmHere are the corrected files for the Marquis of Hazard:
thanks, and now alll PL ok

Sonia
Thank you kindly!
valroth

Post by valroth »

Good morning!

Here is Angelica in Act 3.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gamester_angelica_3.mp3

Time: 2:27

Thanks!

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 4th, 2023, 6:52 amHere is Angelica in Act 3.
aww Angelica is in her outmost emotional distress here :cry: very well whined, Val, thanks !!!

Just one small edit:

> at 1:39: (p. 169) "tis unseasonable" - you say "unreasonable"

Another note, though you don't have to correct it this time, I mention it for the next acts: please leave a bit more space between your quotes. Some of them have less than 1 second in between. 2 seconds at least optically show Todd much better where a new speech begins and there is also more space to fiddle around with the copy/paste later on.

Thanks

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: June 4th, 2023, 7:07 am
valroth wrote: June 4th, 2023, 6:52 amHere is Angelica in Act 3.
aww Angelica is in her outmost emotional distress here :cry: very well whined, Val, thanks !!!

Just one small edit:

> at 1:39: (p. 169) "tis unseasonable" - you say "unreasonable"

Another note, though you don't have to correct it this time, I mention it for the next acts: please leave a bit more space between your quotes. Some of them have less than 1 second in between. 2 seconds at least optically show Todd much better where a new speech begins and there is also more space to fiddle around with the copy/paste later on.

Thanks

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

You’re so fast and thorough —thanks for your expertise as usual!

Edit complete and I did extend the time between lines! Totally forgot about that. :oops:

Revised Time: 2:43

Val :D
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: June 4th, 2023, 7:35 amEdit complete and I did extend the time between lines! Totally forgot about that. :oops:
ah, well you didn't have to extend the silences this time...now I had to re-listen from scratch (that's why I said don't do it this time ;) )

For explanation: Pasting in silences sometimes can cut off beginnings of endings of sentences - it's happened before, so I better make sure all is in. Luckily the act was quite short, so no harm done.

thank you ! It's PL ok now, definitely :)

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: June 4th, 2023, 7:41 am
valroth wrote: June 4th, 2023, 7:35 amEdit complete and I did extend the time between lines! Totally forgot about that. :oops:
ah, well you didn't have to extend the silences this time...now I had to re-listen from scratch (that's why I said don't do it this time ;) )

For explanation: Pasting in silences sometimes can cut off beginnings of endings of sentences - it's happened before, so I better make sure all is in. Luckily the act was quite short, so no harm done.

thank you ! It's PL ok now, definitely :)

Sonia

Eeeek, sorry about that Sonia!

Okay —for next time, extended silences and I’ll aim for no mistakes. But this “old English” confounds me. My brain defaults to what I think should be said instead of what is written.

Thanks for starting over. And yes, mercifully it was a short Act but sadly not my final act! :lol: )

Val
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

But this “old English” confounds me. My brain defaults to what I think should be said instead of what is written.
Resist the temptation! (And that's why we have others' ears to do the PL....)

Thanks, Todd
valroth

Post by valroth »

ToddHW wrote: June 4th, 2023, 9:28 am
But this “old English” confounds me. My brain defaults to what I think should be said instead of what is written.
Resist the temptation! (And that's why we have others' ears to do the PL....)

Thanks, Todd
Agreed, Todd! Thankfully brilliant PLs who are much sharper than I! :D :clap: