Experiences that you expect nobody to believe

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

When I was about 15 I was on a school orienteering excursion. I went way, way off course with my team mate. We turned the corner in the bushes. THERE WAS A FREAKING MILITARY TANK. Not a replica. A real, moving, armed tank. It was coming towards us. It could have blown us sky high. We just freaked out and skedaddled. We looked at each other: yeah, that was a tank.

I don't know if we crossed a fence into a military base. We didn't tell anyone. We kept that one to ourselves.

I don't expect anybody to believe that.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Depends where you were- if it was around Seymour for example it's possible - lucky it wasn't onto a firing range :mrgreen: .

Anne
txphred

Post by txphred »

When I was a teenager; one day I got mad at everyone and everything. I took my dory and headed out into the Caribbean. In a few hours I was miles out past the barrier reef in blue water. I could see the clouds over the island and knew the currents - I was perfectly safe. I had calmed down and was getting into a good mood. The next thing I knew: a submarine surfaced nearby and started launching a rescue party. Way up on the sail some idiot was yelling help was on the way and not to worry. I yelled back that it was impossible to get away and be alone; and, why couldn't people just mind their own business! I turned my back on them and worked my oars in a blind rage.

Fred
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I used to be a chess player. I was de facto a chess historian. I was at a chess club and I got into a conversation with someone about 1930's chess players. Suddenly he starts taking books out of a suitcase. He places a book on the table and stands there with a proud look. Its distinctive red colour tells me what it is: a book all in German of chess problems set for military men from a certain infamous 1930's regime. I had messed about with some German chess magazines; I could read a bit of it as well.

I thought where have you got that from? I thought I don't want to know. The historian part of me was fascinated; the human part of me was disgusted.

That was the weirdest experience that I had in all of my chess playing.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22j0415NmfQ

This is a very popular video, which you've probably seen. Out of nowhere, and they have right of way everywhere, much like garbage trucks over 20 tons.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

lightcrystal wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:00 pm When I was about 15 I was on a school orienteering excursion. [...] We didn't tell anyone. We kept that one to ourselves.

I don't expect anybody to believe that.
well at first I thought, you know, on second thoughts, that a schoolkid keeping quiet about a tank is rather far fetched. 15 year old schoolkids naturally would never mention seeing a tank to anyone because, you know, they never would because of that thing, you know, well, enough said, we all know what would stop any schoolkids talking about a tank.

Then on second thoughts you don't expect anyone to believe it, as you have clearly stated.,... :roll: