ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

loon wrote: May 26th, 2023, 8:27 pm
sjmarky wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:13 pm My pro tip for the June meeting will be Creating Character Voices.
Good - I'm totally at sea with character voices.
Then I'll be sure to include pirates. YARR!
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'll be in for the June meeting, if I can and if I may.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Character voices! Yes please :clap:
My observation so far: You can a) give all your characters specific voices, b) read everyone in roughly the same voice but possibly with some modulation for their current emotional state (cheerful, stressed, angry, etc.). B certainly sounds easier on the reader, but listeners seem to appreciate A if well-done, going by their comments.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Just posted in the Announcement Thread. Please let us know if you're coming . . . so I can prepare enough cinnamon buns.

June's "First Monday's" Zoom Chat" is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend. Be prepared to share a BRAG if you have one. We may have to keep brags limited to a few minutes if we are close to the end of the hour. NEW: Stick around afterwards for some idle chat in the Coffee Shop.

Topic: Slide Presentation by Mark Nelson on "Character Voices" followed by Q&A; then a tour of the Word Count Wiki, then quartertone will take us on a tour of his Librivox Tools webpage and demo how to use his floating Word Count script on Gutenberg pages; BRAGS, plus whatever else comes up.
Time: June 5th, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada).
Duration: 1 hour
Log in 5 minutes ahead to set up your Real Name (username) so we know what to call you, adjust your audio and video, etc.
Recording will start at 11.
Host: Michele Fry

NOTICE: Participation includes your awareness of and agreement for us to record and release these sessions to the Public Domain.

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84452418640?pwd=SEhCb1lhWStjejhYSXhYL1VTRHMzQT09

Meeting ID: 844 5241 8640
Passcode: 477722
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:22 am Just posted in the Announcement Thread. Please let us know if you're coming . . . so I can prepare enough cinnamon buns.

June's "First Monday's" Zoom Chat" is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend. Be prepared to share a BRAG if you have one. We may have to keep brags limited to a few minutes if we are close to the end of the hour. NEW: Stick around afterwards for some idle chat in the Coffee Shop.

Topic: Slide Presentation by Mark Nelson on "Character Voices" followed by Q&A; then a tour of the Word Count Wiki, then quartertone will take us on a tour of his Librivox Tools webpage and demo how to use his floating Word Count script on Gutenberg pages; BRAGS, plus whatever else comes up.
Time: June 5th, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada).
Duration: 1 hour
Log in 5 minutes ahead to set up your Real Name (username) so we know what to call you, adjust your audio and video, etc.
Recording will start at 11.
Host: Michele Fry

Got a link to the "Announcement Thread"?????
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:22 am Just posted in the Announcement Thread. Please let us know if you're coming . . . so I can prepare enough cinnamon buns.
Cinnamon Bun Passthrough is not implemented in all versions of Zoom. :-( I'll bring my own coffee instead.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:34 am
Got a link to the "Announcement Thread"?????
I do, but why do you need it when the announcement is here, too? But if you ever need to find it, it's a sticky in the News Forum. :)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I intend to be there, but when I checked online for a time conversion to British Summer Time, I got three different values (BST being 5, 6, or 7 hours ahead of Central Time). I'm assuming six hours ahead (that's five p.m., my time), as that seems to be the most popular.

Peter
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Yes, it should be 5pm BST, as long as msfry is in an area that follows Daylight Saving Time!

(Being in India, I use https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/ a LOT--especially when working with people in countries that change time for the summer! If you choose the correct date, worldtimebuddy knows when various countries change their clocks.)

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Stephanie, that's a big help.
Peter
msfry

Post by msfry »

stepheather wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:38 am Yes, it should be 5pm BST, as long as msfry is in an area that follows Daylight Saving Time!
Actually, most Louisianians can't figure it out. :D We do what our phones and computers tell us! Right this minute, both agree it's 8:40 a.m.
Here's what the Brave Summarizer says:
As of 01 Jun 2023, Louisiana is not on Daylight Saving Time. Louisiana first observed Daylight Saving Time in 1970 and has observed it for 54 years between 1970 and 2023.3 However, if the federal Sunshine Protection Act becomes law while daylight saving time is being observed, Louisiana will never return to standard time. Louisiana is in the Central Time zone and is -6 hours behind Greenwich Time and -5 hours in daylight saving time.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

msfry wrote: June 1st, 2023, 6:40 am
stepheather wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:38 am Yes, it should be 5pm BST, as long as msfry is in an area that follows Daylight Saving Time!
Actually, most Louisianians can't figure it out. :D We do what our phones and computers tell us! Right this minute, both agree it's 8:40 a.m.
Here's what the Brave Summarizer says:
As of 01 Jun 2023, Louisiana is not on Daylight Saving Time. Louisiana first observed Daylight Saving Time in 1970 and has observed it for 54 years between 1970 and 2023.3 However, if the federal Sunshine Protection Act becomes law while daylight saving time is being observed, Louisiana will never return to standard time. Louisiana is in the Central Time zone and is -6 hours behind Greenwich Time and -5 hours in daylight saving time.
So you didn't spring forward? Or did you spring forward and just fell back?
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I plan to join the Monday Zoom get together.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

stepheather wrote: June 1st, 2023, 6:52 am So you didn't spring forward? Or did you spring forward and just fell back?
We DID spring forward! I remember it well. And it now doesn't get dark til 8 p.m., which makes our sidewalk astronomers furious as they can't bring their telescopes out to the malls and show passersby the moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, etc. It's too light. They've been lobbying the legislature for 2 years but I think they lost. The good news is I can see to mow my yard later, after the air cools a bit. :?
I don't know which side I'm on. I'd like not to have to reset 6 clocks twice a year.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

msfry wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 6:39 am
stepheather wrote: June 1st, 2023, 6:52 am So you didn't spring forward? Or did you spring forward and just fell back?
We DID spring forward! I remember it well. And it now doesn't get dark til 8 p.m., which makes our sidewalk astronomers furious as they can't bring their telescopes out to the malls and show passersby the moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, etc. It's too light. They've been lobbying the legislature for 2 years but I think they lost. The good news is I can see to mow my yard later, after the air cools a bit. :?
I don't know which side I'm on. I'd like not to have to reset 6 clocks twice a year.
Okay, you probably are on Daylight Saving Time right now and other than the sidewalk astronomers, most people are probably lobbying to stay on DST.

At any rate, I've been logging in at 21:30 IST, which equates to 0900 PDT...and 1100 CDT, so I think 1700 BST is correct!

Phew. I feel like I'm running a mental marathon. :help:

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes