[COMPLETE]Within and Without by George MacDonald-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for the good PL!
I'll do my best to make the corrections.
We're in a different environment now while my wife recovers (goin well), so I'll see what I can do. I have yet to record anything here, so I don't know how it will sound. But, I may get back to the RV for a recording session.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I understand. My fault for letting PL wait so long. I guess the only truly necessary one is the missing line in part 4. We will do our best, though. :)
BrentPatrick

Post by BrentPatrick »

I have done narration up until this point and would like to try my hand at a dramatic role. Can you assign me something appropriate for a first timer? Male mature speking voice.

Thanks,
Brent
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, we are back in our home on wheels, so I was able to do all the suggested corrections.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/withinandwithout_julian_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/withinandwithout_julian_4.mp3

Wife's recovery is going well.
Then, let's just say a couple of other major family crises added to the mix.
Added together, we'll be here in California at least another month.
His grace has no limits.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

BrentPatrick wrote: May 15th, 2023, 7:13 am I have done narration up until this point and would like to try my hand at a dramatic role. Can you assign me something appropriate for a first timer? Male mature speking voice.

Thanks,
Brent
First, I apologize for the delay in my responding to you. I'm happy to see that it looks like you've jumped in to a few other projects in the meantime.

I hesitate to choose a role for anyone, to be honest. I could recommend a few roles that might interest you. The only things left are "small" roles, characters that show up for one or two scenes, say a few words, and disappear. Still, there are some good lines in there. We still need one monk in part 1. In part 2, you might choose Nembroni if you want to be a sleazy nobleman who dies a villainous death. Or you could be a member of an angry mob. There are some gentlemen who show up in both parts 3 and 4, or if you want to skip part 3, there is a man in part 4 who is a dealer in used goods (the Jew). You are welcome to take more than one role, as long as you only take one per part.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: May 26th, 2023, 12:47 am Well, we are back in our home on wheels, so I was able to do all the suggested corrections.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/withinandwithout_julian_3.mp3

Wife's recovery is going well.
Then, let's just say a couple of other major family crises added to the mix.
Added together, we'll be here in California at least another month.
His grace has no limits.
Glad to hear that your wife is doing better. Thanks for these corrections! We are almost there. Part 3 is definitely PL ok, and thanks for seeing to that optional note.

One note still for part 4, at 36:41. I gave you the first few words of the missing line, but not the whole thing. I had expected you would find the full line in the script, but I'm sorry I wasn't more explicit. The full line is:
Yes, it is dark; but pleasant—oh, so sweet!
For out of there come all the pretty flowers.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, I should have checked the script, my oversight.

My brother-in-law has just signed up for LV.
I'll have him check his email for confirmation.
He is interested in Nebroni. He gets one line before I kill him. :mrgreen:
And also, First student. He's been practicing.
If you could save those for him, that would be great.

Still working on Lily
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: May 29th, 2023, 11:51 am
One note still for part 4, at 36:41. I gave you the first few words of the missing line, but not the whole thing. I had expected you would find the full line in the script, but I'm sorry I wasn't more explicit. The full line is:
Yes, it is dark; but pleasant—oh, so sweet!
For out of there come all the pretty flowers.
I think I got it this time:
~ Larry
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

For the chorus the 1st Monk also has to read, is that just the italic lines or the entire song? And since most of the the italic lines say etc. does that mean to repeat the italics in full or just say etc. ?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: May 29th, 2023, 11:01 pm Oh, I should have checked the script, my oversight.

My brother-in-law has just signed up for LV.
I'll have him check his email for confirmation.
He is interested in Nebroni. He gets one line before I kill him. :mrgreen:
And also, First student. He's been practicing.
If you could save those for him, that would be great.

Still working on Lily
It looks like this is turning into quite the family affair! I look forward to hearing both of them. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Inkell wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 2:02 pm For the chorus the 1st Monk also has to read, is that just the italic lines or the entire song? And since most of the the italic lines say etc. does that mean to repeat the italics in full or just say etc. ?
Great question, thanks for asking! It means just the lines in italics. The rest will be a solo that Brother Stephen will do. The etc. means repeat it in full. So, where the text says
Cho. Now always merry, &c.
you should say
Now always merry, and never drunk.
That's the life of the jolly monk.
and so on, with "For always merry," "So always merry," and "Oh! Always merry."

Does this mean you'd like to read for the first monk? :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Julian is now totally PL ok! :clap: Pat yourself on the back, Larry, this was a huge undertaking, and you achieved it with panache! :wink:

Also, my first narrator file is uploaded. Elijah, would you like to PL that for me, or would you rather wait and hear it combined in the final edited section? Either way works for me.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

mightyfelix wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 2:52 pm Great question, thanks for asking! It means just the lines in italics. The rest will be a solo that Brother Stephen will do. The etc. means repeat it in full. So, where the text says
Cho. Now always merry, &c.
you should say
Now always merry, and never drunk.
That's the life of the jolly monk.
and so on, with "For always merry," "So always merry," and "Oh! Always merry."

Does this mean you'd like to read for the first monk? :D
Yes I'll read for the 1st Monk, I'll read for a few of the other ones too once I finish looking through them :D

EDIT: another question I had, since you say you may reconsider reading for multiple roles on a case-by-case basis, how do you feel about reading multiple roles in the same section? Because as far as I can see (and do correct me if I'm wrong, it's a bit tricky to find some of these roles, some are called different things in different scenes and maybe even in the same scene so I might've missed some) the women in the fourth part and mob in the second are only 1 line (and one multiple voiced line)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Inkell wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 3:00 pm Yes I'll read for the 1st Monk, I'll read for a few of the other ones too once I finish looking through them :D

EDIT: another question I had, since you say you may reconsider reading for multiple roles on a case-by-case basis, how do you feel about reading multiple roles in the same section? Because as far as I can see (and do correct me if I'm wrong, it's a bit tricky to find some of these roles, some are called different things in different scenes and maybe even in the same scene so I might've missed some) the women in the fourth part and mob in the second are only 1 line (and one multiple voiced line)
Great, then I've put you in for that role!

As far as reading multiple roles in the same part, I think it would depend on which roles you are considering. You're right that many of the roles only have one or two lines, but I can't think of a case off the top of my head where a character is called by different names in this script. :hmm: If there are other specific questions you have, I'll be happy to answer them. But you will probably have to wait awhile for my answer, as I'm leaving town first thing in the morning and will not have much internet access while I'm gone.
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

mightyfelix wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 6:53 pm Great, then I've put you in for that role!

As far as reading multiple roles in the same part, I think it would depend on which roles you are considering. You're right that many of the roles only have one or two lines, but I can't think of a case off the top of my head where a character is called by different names in this script. :hmm: If there are other specific questions you have, I'll be happy to answer them. But you will probably have to wait awhile for my answer, as I'm leaving town first thing in the morning and will not have much internet access while I'm gone.
In the first scene with the gentlemen, they're called 2_nd_ and 3_rd_ but in the second scene with them they're called 2nd G and 3rd G, I found the second first and was really confused why my ctrl+F was finding nothing when I know they had to be in al least two scenes. You also only know the organ-boy has the German poem from stage directions as it's listed as song not boy like his other two lines, similarly you only know the mob and women from context of stage directions, like the Monk is credited 1st Monk but the mob is 1st and the women is 1st W and the gentleman I already mentioned. It's not the end of the world or anything, some of these old scripts are much worse for formatting, but if I've accidentally missed any lines it wouldn't surprise me is all.

As for the roles I'm considering I thought I would take one from each part but the only way to be in the 3rd is to be a gentleman who also appear in part 4 which could lock me out of the other part 4 roles, I was interested in Jew (I think the boy has too much German for me) as I don't see why I couldn't make it a female Jew to differentiate from the gentleman or I thought I could take one of the women since it's just one line, depends how rigid you are about this. For act 2 I'm considering Waggoner or 1st servant and one of the mob (mob 3 in particular as he has the shortest single line so least likely to clash with a second role in the same act and the joint line will be overlapped I'd assume so that kind of disguises that anyway) Waggoner seems the most fun lines of the lot but I think it's supposed to be a guy so I could differentiate more with making a female servant (and I know there is Woman in that act but I think the servant has more interesting lines than the woman).

If you'd like (and I wouldn't mind doing this because these are quite small parts) I could just record all the ones I'm considering and you can listen and make up your own mind on what you want to include and what you want to discard