COMPLETE: The First Voyage of James Cook Volume 1, by James Cook -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

The First Voyage of James Cook Volume 1, by James Cook (1728 - 1779)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-first-voyage-of-james-cook-volume-1-by-james-cook/

In May 1768, the Admiralty commissioned the 39-year old Cook to command a scientific voyage to the Pacific Ocean to observe and record the 1769 transit of Venus across the Sun. The expedition sailed aboard HMS Endeavour in August 1768, rounded Cape Horn and continued to Tahiti, where the observations of the transit were made. Cook then opened sealed orders for the second part of his voyage: to search the south Pacific for signs of the postulated rich southern continent of Terra Australis. Cook proceeded to circumnavigate New Zealand's two main islands, which is where this volume ends. (Summary by David Cole)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56196

Target completion date: 2024-01-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: exploration; 18th century; tahiti; new zealand

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The First Voyage of James Cook Volume 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The First Voyage of James Cook Volume 1, by James Cook. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The First Voyage of James Cook Volume 1, by James Cook. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The First Voyage of James Cook Volume 1, by James Cook."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: firstvoyagejamescookvol1_##_cook_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. firstvoyagejamescookvol1_01_cook_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Will MC this for you...MW coming up. I've tried to shorten the filenames a bit. Feel free to shorten further as you see fit.
Jo
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Magic Window completed; please do not expect any recordings to be completed for 1-2 weeks as I have a few sections to finish off for group projects first. As you suggested, I have shortened most of the extremely lengthy titles considerably but I shall use the full versions in the recordings.

Incidentally, should we not add "[SOLO]" at the beginning of the title, and possible "~" to look for a DPL (although I was unsuccessful in finding one for my recent Cook project).

Best regards,
Shipley
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I put the tilde in the header along the the genre in brackets. You can change it if you prefer something else.
Jo
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

This is an interesting book. I offer to be the DPL.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

DPL added and thread moved to Going Solo...:)
Jo
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 1st, 2023, 8:24 pm DPL added and thread moved to Going Solo...:)
I am happy to be part of the team. :clap:
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Section 1 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firstvoyagejamescookvol1_01_cook_128kb.mp3 (30:56).

NOTES: The elaborate introduction to this Section will most certainly not be repeated. However, there are a lot of different published editions of this work, so (as in the Project Gutenberg version) I felt it important to identify which edition is being used.

The pronunciation of (Dr.) Solander as "Zolander" is deliberate; at least in its modern form, Swedish follows German in pronouncing an isolated "S" as an English "Z".

Best regards,
Shipley
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Noted! I will DPL this today. :thumbs:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

PL OK :thumbs:

But I have one suggestion at 29:18. where "full" appears.

The tides at this place flow at the full and change of the moon

You say "fall" instead of full. Now you could be correct to say it's a typo or mistake from Cook. BUT it could also be correct from that time. For instance punctuation having changed a lot in English it could be like having commas enclosed around "and change of the".

I will leave this as a suggestion. It's PL OK in any case.

A second point. Since you are the soloist you're also the BC [book coordinator] so you should put the link into the MW. I'm not meant to put the link there as the DPL.

Nice clear read! Any idea that sailing was romantic is dispelled pretty quickly. That sailor drowning over board :shock:
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

lightcrystal wrote: June 10th, 2023, 4:12 am PL OK :thumbs:

But I have one suggestion at 29:18. where "full" appears.

The tides at this place flow at the full and change of the moon

You say "fall" instead of full. Now you could be correct to say it's a typo or mistake from Cook. BUT it could also be correct from that time. For instance punctuation having changed a lot in English it could be like having commas enclosed around "and change of the".

I will leave this as a suggestion. It's PL OK in any case.

A second point. Since you are the soloist you're also the BC [book coordinator] so you should put the link into the MW. I'm not meant to put the link there as the DPL.

Nice clear read! Any idea that sailing was romantic is dispelled pretty quickly. That sailor drowning over board :shock:
Dear lightcrystal:

Great catch! I was apparently thinking of "the fall of the tide", but "full" is obviously correct; Cook's phrase is the conventional abbreviation of "at the full moon and at the change of the moon", i.e., at the full moon and the new moon, which is when the spring tides occur. I have uploaded a corrected version, which I do not think you need to repeat PL.

Thanks also for the reminder about posting the URL in the MW; a mere month of contributing to group projects where I was not the BC, and hence did not have access to the MW, was enough to make me forget.

Incidentally, if you are thinking I have a very strange Massachusetts accent, I was born just west of Birmingham, England, and my accent is a very honed-down version of Black Country English (honed-down because I need to be comprehended more than 50 miles from my birthplace).

Back to Section 2!

Best regards,
Shipley
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Sections 2 and 3 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firstvoyagejamescookvol1_02_cook_128kb.mp3 (30:06)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firstvoyagejamescookvol1_03_cook_128kb.mp3 (31:46).

I trust that this time the MW is correct.

I do not expect to unload any more this week, as I am rather tied up for the next few days.

Best regards,
Shipley
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Shipley
The MW is correct

Section 3 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Section 2 has PL notes.
At 1:39 you say "760 yards". It should be instead "1760 yards".
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Corrected version of Section 2 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firstvoyagejamescookvol1_02_cook_128kb.mp3 (30:08)

and first version of Section 4 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firstvoyagejamescookvol1_04_cook_128kb.mp3 (14:11).

Section 2 is one of the occasions when I wonder whether Librivox recordings should come with notes: I wonder how many puzzled listeners are going to be saying "But a mile is always 1760 yards?" Not in Cook's time, when the English, Welsh, Scots, Irish, French and Icelanders (at least) all had different miles (and why is Cook not using the nautical mile?). Good job they did not have planes, or calculating the mileage signs in the airports would have been an interesting exercise.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Section 4. Some PL Notes:

1. At 6:10 you say "rocky ridges". It should be instead: "rocky ledges".
2. At 9:07 you say "two to three"; there should follow "feet"
3. At 13:30 "lowered" should instead be "ordered".
4. At 13:51 at "curiosity hear" you need to insert "to" in between, making "curiosity to hear". Now normally at standard PL I would let this go. But here the listener will here it as curiosity here !! It's what Gowers in The Complete Plain Words would call a "false scent group" of words,

If it's scanning that is causing issues [the sentences are long for each line] then maybe changing their shape in a device might help. I'm not sure which device.

Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs: