[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Doctor's Red Lamp by Charles Wells Moulton - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Nodoka wrote: May 26th, 2023, 1:25 pm Hi there,

I'd like to try The Doctor’s Front Yard. I've completed my 1 min test and thought a short story would be a good thing to try.

Thanks,
Nodoka
Hello there and welcome to librivox! Congrats on completing your one minute test! How would you like to be credited? I can set up your reader page which will list all your librivox recordings :D

The Doctor's Front Yard is over 6,000 words long, so I'd guess about 40 to 50 minutes of recording time. If your okay with that? Otherwise, we could recommend something a little smaller for your first recording?
Nodoka

Post by Nodoka »

ej400 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 1:42 pm
Hello there and welcome to librivox! Congrats on completing your one minute test! How would you like to be credited? I can set up your reader page which will list all your librivox recordings :D

The Doctor's Front Yard is over 6,000 words long, so I'd guess about 40 to 50 minutes of recording time. If your okay with that? Otherwise, we could recommend something a little smaller for your first recording?
I'd like my reader page set up for Cameron Mixon, thank you for helping me with that.

I think I can handle an hour. So far I've found my biggest time sink to be editing since I'm not fast at it yet and still learning the tricks.

Thanks,
Nodoka
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi there,

Here is section 19 - 12:29.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_19_moulton_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Stacey
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Nodoka wrote: May 26th, 2023, 3:53 pm
ej400 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 1:42 pm

I'd like my reader page set up for Cameron Mixon, thank you for helping me with that.

I think I can handle an hour. So far I've found my biggest time sink to be editing since I'm not fast at it yet and still learning the tricks.

Thanks,
Nodoka
Sounds good! Here is your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/18618?primary_key=18618&search_category=reader&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

If you need any help editing, please let me know! I'd be happy to help.
I've assigned section 26 to you :D
smarchez

Post by smarchez »

Many thanks, Sally Murrell
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Here is section 22 - "The Coming of the Ship"

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_22_moulton_128kb.mp3
(23:59)

This story includes a paragraph of preface which is important to set the stage and I've read the paragraph in its entirety. However, the opening two sentences of the preface read, "A selected reading from The Head of a Hundred. Edited by Maud Wilder Goodwin." In the true spirit of LV, I've left both sentences in, but it seems confusing since Maud Wilder Goodwin is also the author of this particular story. Please advise. Easy to delete those two sentences if necessary.

Thanks much. This is my most challenging reading so far and I've given it my best effort.
~carolyn
ej400

Post by ej400 »

crystalpenny wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:51 pm Here is section 22 - "The Coming of the Ship"

This story includes a paragraph of preface which is important to set the stage and I've read the paragraph in its entirety. However, the opening two sentences of the preface read, "A selected reading from The Head of a Hundred. Edited by Maud Wilder Goodwin." In the true spirit of LV, I've left both sentences in, but it seems confusing since Maud Wilder Goodwin is also the author of this particular story. Please advise. Easy to delete those two sentences if necessary.

Thanks much. This is my most challenging reading so far and I've given it my best effort.
Thank you very much! I'll have to ask our MC about that one when she comes back from her break, but we'll take a listen in the meantime! Thanks!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

To Elijah and all concerned.

I am so sorry that I am so behind on the DPLing on the project, but last Monday morning(5/22), I was rushed to the Emergency Room and spent the next nine days in the hospital. I got home last night and am now ready to resume my labors here at LV.

As a result of the 7 rib fractures I had on 4/11, I had a Hemothorax, or blood in the chest cavity. They took out a little over 4 litres of blood and stuff. It was quite an experience. I could hardly breathe on Monday when I went in, but am much better now. Not right, but better.

I will start on catching up today.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

StaceyM2022 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:54 pm Hi there,
Here is section 19 - 12:29.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_19_moulton_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Stacey
Stacey,

Thanks for your good reading. I only found on little thing that you might want to look at:

10:21 his had been so much more a case of pity. You added the word 'of' between 'more' and 'a''. It may seem a little minor, but it think it is something that should be corrected.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

smarchez wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:28 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_25_moulton_128kb.mp3
28m 46s
Thanks! Sally
Sally,

Another great reading. I really enjoy listening to your work.

Here are a few things for you to look at:

A couple of things at the beginning. Your volume is 86.1, which is at the extreme lower limits of LV. The range for LV is 86-92 dB with an aim of 89, right in the middle. So, if you could go into Audacity and increase it by 3 dB, it would bring it right on. Also, by increasing the volume, you will also increase the background noise level, which is already high at 45, and 40 is the absolute upper limit desired, and the less the better. So, after adding the volume, if you could go into Noise Reduction in Audacity and use it to decrease the noise, I am sure you will be right on.

:20.5 The Doctor: An Old Virginia Fox-hunter. You left off “The Doctor:

17:31.5 and though February in Virginia is practically the same You said through.

Keep up the good work!!

Wayne
Wayne
smarchez

Post by smarchez »

You're so encouraging, Wayne, thank you so much. I've altered the volume etc and now it's passed the Checker test but I think it sounds awful! Before I rerecord the bits I got wrong, could you have a listen. It seems to me I might have to rerecord the whole thing. I think I might have messed it up..... :|

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_25_moulton_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Sally
Many thanks, Sally Murrell
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:52 am
crystalpenny wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:51 pm Here is section 22 - "The Coming of the Ship"
Thank you very much! I'll have to ask our MC about that one when she comes back from her break, but we'll take a listen in the meantime! Thanks!
I checked the text, it's ok to leave the sentences in. Read as written. It's not disturbing to me.

Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.