[COMPLETE] Six Years at the Russian Court, by M. Eagar - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 5:28 am Greetings! May I claim 08, 09, 19 and 20? Thank you
Hello Rita! Yes. Thank you!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Dreita

Post by Dreita »

Brand new here, just had my one minute test okayed today!
I did already ask for a couple of chapters this morning on a children's book here, would it be okay if i also requested a chapter here? Perhaps I could take chapter 21?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Dreita wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:39 am Brand new here, just had my one minute test okayed today!
I did already ask for a couple of chapters this morning on a children's book here, would it be okay if i also requested a chapter here? Perhaps I could take chapter 21?
Yes, of course. Has the BC on the other project asked you what you would like as your LibriVox catalog name? It can be, but does not have to be the same as your forum name, Dreita? Thank you!

EDIT: Oh, I do see that it was mentioned in the OK to your 1-minute:
When you claim your very first section, don't forget to also post the name that you would like to appear in the catalog. Some people use their real name, a pseudonym or just a repeat of their forum username. You might prefer privacy or to use it as an opportunity to advertise yourself as a narrator.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrentPatrick

Post by BrentPatrick »

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

8-)
BrentPatrick wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:56 am For your review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/russiancourt_07_eagar_128kb.mp3

Time: 10:58

Thanks,
Brent
Thank you!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

get8life wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:04 am
I made a small research in the Russian language, there are a few books about her, but they are too fresh to be in the public domain. But, there are a lot of books about great women in Russian history (for example, Mordovtsev D.L. Russian historical women. Popular Stories from Russian History. - St. Petersburg: Edition of N. F. Mertz, 1902.). She could be a character in one of these books. I will keep an eye on it.

Somehow it reminds me of another "great" lady in Russian history (as an antipode) - Darya Nikolayevna Saltykova (Saltychikha or"Lyudoedka") who was a Russian rich landowner, and a sophisticated sadist and serial killer, against whom the murder of 38 serfs under her control was proven.

There are plenty of written materials about her, I believe it could be possible to find something in English as well. I am not sure if Librivox has ever read about her, but I think she is a very interesting lady to know more about.
I can find some books in Russian by Mordovtsev at archive.org (none at gutenberg.org) but I haven't seen translations. I'll have to refine my search skills. Saltychikha is too fascinating. So far, at archive.org, I only find brief mention of her (https://archive.org/details/list-of-characters-russia) in a glossary of 'Russian characters':
Saltychikha (Saltykova, Darya Nikolayevna) (1730–1801). Woman landowner in Moscow Province; noted for cruel treatment of serfs.
Cruel treatment of serfs does seem a bit of an understatement ...

There seem to be many books about the Hungarian 'blood countess', Elizabeth Báthory, but I don't yet see any that are PD.

I'll come back to this, but for now I have to do something else.

Thank you!
Dreita

Post by Dreita »

BrianFullen wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:45 am
Dreita wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:39 am Brand new here, just had my one minute test okayed today!
Yes, of course. Has the BC on the other project asked you what you would like as your LibriVox catalog name? It can be, but does not have to be the same as your forum name, Dreita? Thank you!

EDIT: Oh, I do see that it was mentioned in the OK to your 1-minute:
When you claim your very first section, don't forget to also post the name that you would like to appear in the catalog. Some people use their real name, a pseudonym or just a repeat of their forum username. You might prefer privacy or to use it as an opportunity to advertise yourself as a narrator.
Brian, may I go by A.C. Benson?
No one has accepted my request for the two chapters of the other book, as a beginner should I delete my request on that forum page and just stick to this chapter for now? Not sure how long a chapter takes the average person to record and edit before sending.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Dreita wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 9:18 amNo one has accepted my request for the two chapters of the other book, as a beginner should I delete my request on that forum page and just stick to this chapter for now? Not sure how long a chapter takes the average person to record and edit before sending.
I'll answer. :)

Looks like you made the request in the other project this morning, so it's understandable that no one has replied yet. (If the Book Coordinator has a regular 9-5 job, they probably won't be back on to see your claim until this evening.)

You have 2 months to get your claims in after requesting them, so I think that 3 chapters between these two projects isn't too many. Even if you did one chapter per week, that's still only 3 weeks. 8-)

The time it takes someone to record and edit varies widely, depending on how many mistakes they make and have to edit out, how much re-recording they have to do, etc. I'm pretty efficient, and I'd say it takes me 2.5-3 times as long to record and edit. So a 3000-word chapter that may end up as 20 minutes finished recording will take me 50-60 minutes to record and edit. Sometimes it can be up around 5 times the finished recording, and sometimes people can do it in even less time!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Dreita

Post by Dreita »

TriciaG wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 9:27 am I'll answer. :)

Looks like you made the request in the other project this morning, so it's understandable that no one has replied yet. (If the Book Coordinator has a regular 9-5 job, they probably won't be back on to see your claim until this evening.)

You have 2 months to get your claims in after requesting them, so I think that 3 chapters between these two projects isn't too many. Even if you did one chapter per week, that's still only 3 weeks. 8-)

The time it takes someone to record and edit varies widely, depending on how many mistakes they make and have to edit out, how much re-recording they have to do, etc. I'm pretty efficient, and I'd say it takes me 2.5-3 times as long to record and edit. So a 3000-word chapter that may end up as 20 minutes finished recording will take me 50-60 minutes to record and edit. Sometimes it can be up around 5 times the finished recording, and sometimes people can do it in even less time!
Perfect! Totally doable for my schedule. Thanks for this knowledge I very much appreciate it!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

:D https://librivox.org/reader/18607

I see you have 'met' Tricia! Excellent! And soon you will meet Wayne (kalamareader) I am sure! Tricia is MC on this project and many, many others. Wayne is DPL on this project, and many others. They probably do lots of other roles in LV, too. If you have any questions at all - like about roles and acronyms and stuff - give a shout and someone will answer. Almost forgot to say that chapter 21 is, of course, yours! Best wishes, Brian
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thanks Rita. How's the roof?
tonyh172

Post by tonyh172 »

Hi

Can I take on: CHAPTER XV: THE LITTLE PRISON OPENER

Regards, Tony
Best wishes, Tony
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

BrianFullen wrote: May 28th, 2023, 4:39 pm
Thanks Rita. How's the roof?
Finally finished, and exponentially more expensive than it should have been. Shortages indeed..... :cry: :( :shock:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tonyh172 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 11:40 pm Hi

Can I take on: CHAPTER XV: THE LITTLE PRISON OPENER

Regards, Tony
Yes. Thank you.