[FULL][DR] A Fourth Form Friendship by Angela Brazil - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

A Fourth Form Friendship: A School Story, by Angela Brazil (1868 - 1947)
When Aldred is sent to Birkwood Grange she meets Mabel Farrington the parlor boarder who up until Aldred came had no best friends. To her surprise Mabel befriends her and shares with her the privileges of a parlor boarder. One day Aldred accidentally overhears Mabel explaining the reason why she befriended Aldred. But it wasn't long before she found out that Mabel has mistaken Aldred for a girl who rescued a child from a fire. Unfortunately Aldred does not have the courage to tell Mabel the truth and Mabel continues to believe the story. Finally she gets the chance to save her friend, will she do it? Please be forewarned that this book contains racial comments that may be offensive to modern listeners.
(Summary by Victoria Bell)

Source text (please read only from this text!): Chapter Scripts

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32524

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project:
Keywords that describe the book: school story

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of A Fourth Form Friendship: A School Story, by Angela Brazil. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Chapter #, [title]"
At the end of each file say:
"End of Chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Fourth Form Friendship: A School Story, by Angela Brazil."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: fourthformfriendship_role_#.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. fourthformfriendship_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: fourthformfriendship_#_brazil_128kb.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. fourthformfriendship_1_brazil_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

BC: victoriaalicebell
Narrator: victoriaalicebell
Parts-PL: thecountess
Editor:Rapunzelina
DPL: mleigh

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by victoriaalicebell on January 20th, 2024, 6:39 am, edited 47 times in total.
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

If you are taking early claims I would like to read Mabel.

~ The Countess
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have scripts set up, as per the good practice guidelines #1?

Are you going to be proof-listening and editing (GPG #3 & 5)?

There are 17 chapters in the book; you're going to need a lot more than 17 sections in the Magic Window. Generally, you'd have one for each character, plus the narrator per chapter. (So if there are 5 characters speaking, plus narrator, in 17 chapters, you'll need 6*17 = 102 sections.) If you plan on having the final, edited chapter in its own section (ideal), add 17 more sections.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
victoriaalicebell

I wasn't planning on doing a script or proof-listening...
If necessary I could. Should I edit? I don't know how to but I could learn how.
If someone else were to edit, who would I ask? I will probably go with the ideal if possible.
Thanks,
victoriaalicebell

thecountess wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:12 am If you are taking early claims I would like to read Mabel.

~ The Countess
Okay, I will keep Mabel for you. Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's going to be awfully hard to get recordings without omitted lines if you don't do scripts for a book like this. Your readers would have to basically read the whole book, looking for their parts. It'll be very easy for them to miss some - and then you will have to chase them down to get the missing lines, when it's time to edit.

You'll also need to line up an editor (or more than one) before starting the project, if you're not going to do it. You can post an ad for one in the Proof-listeners & Editors Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=61
victoriaalicebell

Okay, I will make a script.
Thanks for helping!
Last edited by victoriaalicebell on May 27th, 2023, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll move this off the Launch Pad until the scripts are ready. :)
victoriaalicebell

The script is ready! There are 47 characters counting the narrator.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not a doer of dramatic readings - but I would strongly suggest you went over here viewtopic.php?t=3052 and talked over the project with people who can help you - you obviously need some advice about it - there is nothing quite as difficult as running a dramatic reading which is not set up correctly and it is better to start right than to untangle the mess.

Anne
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:18 pm The script is ready! There are 47 characters counting the narrator.
Can you provide a link to the scripts so we, potential readers, can take a look at the parts.
It would also help if you had a description of the characters, whether they are major or minor. And, of course we need to know which chapters they are in. Will casting be gender specific or gender neutral, or a mix?

Anne's suggestion is a good one!

DR's are complicated and need to be run correctly to avoid a mess. I've been BC for a lot of projects, but still don't have the courage to undertake a full DR project. :roll:
~ Larry
victoriaalicebell

silverquill wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:47 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:18 pm The script is ready! There are 47 characters counting the narrator.
Can you provide a link to the scripts so we, potential readers, can take a look at the parts.
It would also help if you had a description of the characters, whether they are major or minor. And, of course we need to know which chapters they are in. Will casting be gender specific or gender neutral, or a mix?

Anne's suggestion is a good one!

DR's are complicated and need to be run correctly to avoid a mess. I've been BC for a lot of projects, but still don't have the courage to undertake a full DR project. :roll:
The script is at the top of the page (called 'Chapter Scripts'). Preferably gender specific.
victoriaalicebell

annise wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:13 pm I'm not a doer of dramatic readings - but I would strongly suggest you went over here viewtopic.php?t=3052 and talked over the project with people who can help you - you obviously need some advice about it - there is nothing quite as difficult as running a dramatic reading which is not set up correctly and it is better to start right than to untangle the mess.

Anne
Thanks for your advice!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Victoria! Fun to see another dramatic reading lover! :)

Hey, as a frequent DR coordinator and editor of novel-length projects, I can share some managerial "things" with you that will make everything easier in the long run:

1: Keep a planning sheet that lists the links of the source and script files; a list of every character and which chapter(s) they appear in; a list of every chapter and which characters appear in it. (This all comes in handy when you fill in the MW, when the credits file is put together, and at the end of the project when you need to build the cast credit list.)

2: Scripts. Many DR coordinators don't realize how much it helps during the editing process to have novels broken into play-like scripts instead of simply color-coding the characters. It also cuts down on lost/mixed-up lines and is much easier for readers to navigate their lines. You can see what I mean on this one, for example (but find the way you like to do yours): Unnatural Death ch. 2

Speaking of readers, you'll want your scripts to be color coded in a way that is readable by us old fogeys. Highlighting black text with dark colors isn't easy to see, and not-young eyes have great trouble with that. :wink: The easier it is for folks to do the work, the easier you will have volunteers sign up for it.

And last regarding scripts: Carefully proof them at least one time before you set the project in motion. In my "modus operandi," they get pored over three times, preferably by a second person the last time. This is because (I guarantee you) no matter how many times you think you've caught every mix-up in coding and cue marking, in a novel size project mistakes will show up while readers are recording and editing is happening.

3. MW. Keep it organized. When an MC picks up your project they'll create the MW for you, and then it is your responsibility to fill it in. You'll need sections designated for every character (multiple per character if they're in more than one chapter), and sections designated for each chapter's final file (which I call the Master File). In the Note Box of those chapter lines, you'll want to list all the characters that the chapter needs files for. I'm groggy this morning, so let me just show the way I've fallen into setting them up: Hearts of Three project. This is my husband's project (mine are too far along in editing to show you what I mean), and although it is already into the end-editing phase, if you scroll down to line 11 you'll see a chapter Master File line's initial set up. You'll see that all characters but the narrator are bolded (which is how Scott knows only the narrator file is needed for the editor to start working on it). This is where the chapters with the character lists on your planning sheet is handy. Just copy/paste the chapter's characters into the Note Box for it on the MW.

DR windows are dynamic creatures - you don't list everything once and then it all stays put like "normal" recording projects. At a minimum, once a character file has been submitted and is PL OK , move that down below its chapter's Master File section and mark it off in the Note Box for that chapter. That way you'll know when all the files are present for a given chapter, and if you haven't overcommitted yourself for editing (or your editor hasn't) you can splice it together before waiting for the entire project to be recorded. You have a much higher chance of catching readers for corrections/additions that way than if you wait the whole year-or-so for everything to get recorded. (You can also see in the top sections of that Hearts of Three MW, how the Note Box has changed on the Master File line for chapters that have had editing work done on them. MWs for DR novels are super malleable and help you keep track of the gargantuan amount of work across a long period of time that is needed to produce them.)

Regrettably, I am overbooked with too many active DRs on my editing plate and one waiting on the wings to initiate, so I can't volunteer to be your editor. :( I hope I've had some good input for you, though, and feel welcome to send me questions if something puzzles you after going through that page that Anne linked for you. I'm not a super seasoned techy person, but I've produced several DRs now and have figured out ways that help things run more smoothly. (and have also found out where I have to draw a line in the sand and say, "Sorry, I can't do that right now.")
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
victoriaalicebell

LCaulkins wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:36 am Hi, Victoria! Fun to see another dramatic reading lover! :)

Hey, as a frequent DR coordinator and editor of novel-length projects, I can share some managerial "things" with you that will make everything easier in the long run:

1: Keep a planning sheet that lists the links of the source and script files; a list of every character and which chapter(s) they appear in; a list of every chapter and which characters appear in it. (This all comes in handy when you fill in the MW, when the credits file is put together, and at the end of the project when you need to build the cast credit list.)

2: Scripts. Many DR coordinators don't realize how much it helps during the editing process to have novels broken into play-like scripts instead of simply color-coding the characters. It also cuts down on lost/mixed-up lines and is much easier for readers to navigate their lines. You can see what I mean on this one, for example (but find the way you like to do yours): Unnatural Death ch. 2

Speaking of readers, you'll want your scripts to be color coded in a way that is readable by us old fogeys. Highlighting black text with dark colors isn't easy to see, and not-young eyes have great trouble with that. :wink: The easier it is for folks to do the work, the easier you will have volunteers sign up for it.

And last regarding scripts: Carefully proof them at least one time before you set the project in motion. In my "modus operandi," they get pored over three times, preferably by a second person the last time. This is because (I guarantee you) no matter how many times you think you've caught every mix-up in coding and cue marking, in a novel size project mistakes will show up while readers are recording and editing is happening.

3. MW. Keep it organized. When an MC picks up your project they'll create the MW for you, and then it is your responsibility to fill it in. You'll need sections designated for every character (multiple per character if they're in more than one chapter), and sections designated for each chapter's final file (which I call the Master File). In the Note Box of those chapter lines, you'll want to list all the characters that the chapter needs files for. I'm groggy this morning, so let me just show the way I've fallen into setting them up: Hearts of Three project. This is my husband's project (mine are too far along in editing to show you what I mean), and although it is already into the end-editing phase, if you scroll down to line 11 you'll see a chapter Master File line's initial set up. You'll see that all characters but the narrator are bolded (which is how Scott knows only the narrator file is needed for the editor to start working on it). This is where the chapters with the character lists on your planning sheet is handy. Just copy/paste the chapter's characters into the Note Box for it on the MW.

DR windows are dynamic creatures - you don't list everything once and then it all stays put like "normal" recording projects. At a minimum, once a character file has been submitted and is PL OK , move that down below its chapter's Master File section and mark it off in the Note Box for that chapter. That way you'll know when all the files are present for a given chapter, and if you haven't overcommitted yourself for editing (or your editor hasn't) you can splice it together before waiting for the entire project to be recorded. You have a much higher chance of catching readers for corrections/additions that way than if you wait the whole year-or-so for everything to get recorded. (You can also see in the top sections of that Hearts of Three MW, how the Note Box has changed on the Master File line for chapters that have had editing work done on them. MWs for DR novels are super malleable and help you keep track of the gargantuan amount of work across a long period of time that is needed to produce them.)

Regrettably, I am overbooked with too many active DRs on my editing plate and one waiting on the wings to initiate, so I can't volunteer to be your editor. :( I hope I've had some good input for you, though, and feel welcome to send me questions if something puzzles you after going through that page that Anne linked for you. I'm not a super seasoned techy person, but I've produced several DRs now and have figured out ways that help things run more smoothly. (and have also found out where I have to draw a line in the sand and say, "Sorry, I can't do that right now.")
Thank you! This is really helpful!