OPEN[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 019 - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

No. You can make up your own accent for your character. Maybe you are fresh off the boat. Maybe your parents were foreigners to wherever you are now. Maybe you just like to speak posh or the cant of the street. Up to you.

Subject of course to the BC of each play who may have other desires.....

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:27 pm No. You can make up your own accent for your character. Maybe you are fresh off the boat. Maybe your parents were foreigners to wherever you are now. Maybe you just like to speak posh or the cant of the street. Up to you.

Subject of course to the BC of each play who may have other desires.....

Thanks, Todd
Well having looked through the play, I can't imagine it mattering for the two one liner ones but Dulcie is Australian which she mentions multiple times in contrast to the British character which is why I wonder if it matters in this case that she have an Australian accent
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Inkell wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:11 pm
Well having looked through the play, I can't imagine it mattering for the two one liner ones but Dulcie is Australian which she mentions multiple times in contrast to the British character which is why I wonder if it matters in this case that she have an Australian accent
Well, apart from the narrator, none of the readers who have taken roles in this play so far are Australian. It is up to you whether you want a role.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by GregGiordano »

All the lines for Sir Rufus Polyblock of "The Free Selector" -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thefreeselector_rufuspolyblock_browne.mp3

Take care,

Greg
redrun

Post by redrun »

Here are the lines for Kanada in The Judgement of Indra:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/judgementofindra_kanada_mukeji.mp3 (2:45)
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

GregGiordano wrote: May 25th, 2023, 6:34 pm All the lines for Sir Rufus Polyblock of "The Free Selector" -

Take care,

Greg

Thanks Greg

Reading is PL OK.

There is a certain irony in Polyblock's caustic description of a selector: 'A feller that robs people of their land." That is, in fact, a definition of a squatter. Squatters were those who claimed possesion of large tracts of land by forcible occupation. They objected vigorously to govemments claiming the right to offer land for sale to other people.

A bushranger is an outlaw. An ancestor of mine was present at the hanging in Melbourne in 1880 of the last and most celebrated bushranger, Ned Kelly.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by alanmapstone »

redrun wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:40 pm Here are the lines for Kanada in The Judgement of Indra:
Kanada is PL OK! :thumbs:

Just 1 comment: at the point where Kanada and Shanta leave there is a stage direction saying that they intone OM Shanti OM. Do you want the two readers to say this. If so it should be added at 2.15
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Algy Pug wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:44 pm
GregGiordano wrote: May 25th, 2023, 6:34 pm All the lines for Sir Rufus Polyblock of "The Free Selector" -

Take care,

Greg

Thanks Greg

Reading is PL OK.

There is a certain irony in Polyblock's caustic description of a selector: 'A feller that robs people of their land." That is, in fact, a definition of a squatter. Squatters were those who claimed possesion of large tracts of land by forcible occupation. They objected vigorously to govemments claiming the right to offer land for sale to other people.

A bushranger is an outlaw. An ancestor of mine was present at the hanging in Melbourne in 1880 of the last and most celebrated bushranger, Ned Kelly.
Algy,

I appreciate learning more about places I am not too familiar with. Australia is truly the other side of the world for me. We learned precious little about it in school. My wife and I, however, have watched many documentaries on Curiosity Stream and Discovery to fill in many of the gaps in our knowledge.

This was a great choice for a one-act play. I'm glad I could be part of it. I enjoy working with you in general and hope you will be working on more good works down the road.

Take care,

Greg
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

alanmapstone wrote: May 25th, 2023, 9:29 pm
redrun wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:40 pm Here are the lines for Kanada in The Judgement of Indra:
Kanada is PL OK! :thumbs:

Just 1 comment: at the point where Kanada and Shanta leave there is a stage direction saying that they intone OM Shanti OM. Do you want the two readers to say this. If so it should be added at 2.15
Thank you redrun and Alan! :thumbs:

And yes, ideally I would like the readers to say this but I'm not entirely sure how lines in the middle of directions are usually handled, I don't know whether lines would be said before, after or during my stage direction, whether it varies depending on the situation or the discretion of the editor or if it should always just be left to the stage direction. If the latter then obviously just leave it but if any of the former I'd rather have the lines to experiment with what sounds best
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thanks Alan

If you could record all the rest of Gayters' lines in one files that would be fine.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug wrote: May 26th, 2023, 2:37 am
Thanks Alan

Reading is PL OK.

If you could record all the rest of Gayters' lines in one files that would be fine.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Thanks Alan

Reading is PL OK.

If you could record all the rest of Gayters' lines in one file that would be fine.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by alanmapstone »

Algy Pug wrote: May 26th, 2023, 2:41 am
Thanks Alan
Reading is PL OK.
If you could record all the rest of Gayters' lines in one file that would be fine.
Sorry about that, I was confused by a 5 act play in the 1 act play collection :lol:
Alan
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi, Todd,

Can you please re-open the part of Miss Pigeon in "An Eligible Situation"? I sent a message to the reader before the claim expired, and it hasn't been opened yet.

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie
Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837