Whitening background of Gutenberg texts

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

The reason he's not copy/pasting in this case is, all of the text that can be selected from this scan is not the actual, original text, it is a computer's guess based on a photo of each page. It's still pretty common to have errors in that, so you'd either need to check the computer's work (part of what Gutenberg volunteers do) before recording, or read straight from the scan.

Most PDFs you'd create by exporting or "printing" a document into PDF form don't have this problem, but scans take a lot of error checking still.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I understand; much more complex than I've been imagining.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

BrizeCrize wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:26 pm Anybody know how to change the (often brownish) background color of the Gutenberg texts? I've found white background on other versions (PDF, etc) but they are often riddled with scanning errors, so I prefer to use the main (HTML?) version.

Mine eyes thank you,
Brize Crize
Brize, here is another version of the text in black and white: https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20191201/html.php
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

KevinS wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:12 pm
Brize, here is another version of the text in black and white: https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20191201/html.php
Thanks, KevinS, that's a winner for me for the time being anyway, I'll keep the Gutenberg open in case I sense any text errors as I go. Not that I don't appreciate all of the "Easy Once You Know How" solutions, and I'll refer back to them some day, but for now want to keep this project going, and this 'fadedpage' site fills the bill I think.

Thanks,
Brize