~[Youth Fiction] Love Me, Love My Dog, by Carolyn Verhoef - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Doreen Marcotte
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thank you :)
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

njgorgen wrote: May 12th, 2023, 5:46 pm Chap 4 - 23m46s Nancy
Again thx for the kind words!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/lovemydog_04_verhoeff_128kb.mp3
PLOK. Wonderful. Thank you!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Section 7 is PLOK. :clap:

A really fine reading. And now I know what a stereo opticon was.

And that took me down memory lane to when kids had a handheld view master slide projector. Mine displayed slides held in circular cardboard holders so that I could advance the slides by depressing a button while I listened to a companion recording pressed as a 45 rpm vinyl record. I think there was a beep or maybe simply a spoken instruction when it was time to advance to the next slide.

At least that's how I vaguely remember those things. The experience was like reading a comic or short story book for kids who were too young to read and didn't have someone there to read to them. They could watch and hear a story anytime they wanted. Of course, nowadays all kids probably just have smartphones ...
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Thank you!
Question- Do you hear static in my recordings? I don’t in the raw ones but I do in the edited ones. Not sure if it just my laptop or am I hearing things. I redid this 3 times then gave up.
Doreen
Doreen Marcotte
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Mdoreen32 wrote: May 13th, 2023, 1:05 pm Thank you!
Question- Do you hear static in my recordings? I don’t in the raw ones but I do in the edited ones. Not sure if it just my laptop or am I hearing things. I redid this 3 times then gave up.
Doreen
I did not hear static in this one. We also collaborated on Joseph in the Snow - Lomond was DPL on that project and I was BC on it - and I don't recall your having static issues on that one. Did you?

Before listening I did pass your recording by Checker as is my custom whether I am BC or PL or both. According to Checker background noise for your section 07 recording is 24.2 dB which I think is quite good. I hope so, anyway, because my own recordings always have that same measurement for background noise.

I don't know if you use Checker. If you do, you won't see a value for background noise unless you enable the method that checks for it. If you want to do that, then within Checker, do this: Validation->Choose Validation Methods ... and check the tiny Background Noise box and click on Change. From then on (maybe starting with next new execution of Checker) you will see a value for Background Noise at the bottom of the readings that Checker lists on the Information tab.

When I am editing in Audacity I always do Effect->Noise Reduction. I suspect that you do that too because your waveform appears flat in between times that you are speaking. I don't know the values that you use in the second step of Noise Reduction but I use 12, 6.00 and 6 respectively for Noise Reduction, Sensitivity and Frequency Smoothing Bands. I think those values are any of Factory Default, or LibriVox recommended, or typical for Speech. I really don't remember.

My laptop is kind of beat up and I will probably get a new one in the not too distant future. Maybe when back-to-schools specials or even Black Friday time arrives. I no longer trust my own internal sound card on playback. At first I thought it was my headphones, but then my son loaned me (he said no hurry for its return) an external sound card that connects via USB dongle. When I use that in combination with my headphones, I no longer hear the occasional crackling or static that I had been hearing.

Maybe this too a lengthy a reply. Sorry if it is. The short answer is that I think that your section 07 recording is perfectly fine.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: May 13th, 2023, 2:13 pm
Mdoreen32 wrote: May 13th, 2023, 1:05 pm Thank you!
Doreen
I did not hear static in this one. We also collaborated on Joseph in the Snow - Lomond was DPL on that project and I was BC on it - and I don't recall your having static issues on that one. Did you?

Before listening I did pass your recording by Checker as is my custom whether I am BC or PL or both. According to Checker background noise for your section 07 recording is 24.2 dB which I think is quite good. I hope so, anyway, because my own recordings always have that same measurement for background noise.

I don't know if you use Checker. If you do, you won't see a value for background noise unless you enable the method that checks for it. If you want to do that, then within Checker, do this: Validation->Choose Validation Methods ... and check the tiny Background Noise box and click on Change. From then on (maybe starting with next new execution of Checker) you will see a value for Background Noise at the bottom of the readings that Checker lists on the Information tab.

When I am editing in Audacity I always do Effect->Noise Reduction. I suspect that you do that too because your waveform appears flat in between times that you are speaking. I don't know the values that you use in the second step of Noise Reduction but I use 12, 6.00 and 6 respectively for Noise Reduction, Sensitivity and Frequency Smoothing Bands. I think those values are any of Factory Default, or LibriVox recommended, or typical for Speech. I really don't remember.

My laptop is kind of beat up and I will probably get a new one in the not too distant future. Maybe when back-to-schools specials or even Black Friday time arrives. I no longer trust my own internal sound card on playback. At first I thought it was my headphones, but then my son loaned me (he said no hurry for its return) an external sound card that connects via USB dongle. When I use that in combination with my headphones, I no longer hear the occasional crackling or static that I had been hearing.

Maybe this too a lengthy a reply. Sorry if it is. The short answer is that I think that your section 07 recording is perfectly fine.
EDIT: I don't if money is in an object for you. It usually is for me. The external sound card I am using is FiiO. I think my son got it from Prime a few years back. I see ones now for < 20 bucks. I see others from other vendors for as low as 10 bucks. Mine works on PCs. I run linux on my laptop but I don't believe that OS matters. I don't know what solutions might exist for Mac. I've never had one of those.
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Thanks Brian. I do use Checker I’ll have to add that noise floor check. . I do a noise filter first then noise reduction and normalize Compression and then mouth de click and de click from Izotope for my editing. I have an Apple laptop. I also run it thru an ACX check
Doreen
Doreen Marcotte
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Mdoreen32 wrote: May 13th, 2023, 3:14 pm Thanks Brian. I do use Checker I’ll have to add that noise floor check. . I do a noise filter first then noise reduction and normalize Compression and then mouth de click and de click from Izotope for my editing. I have an Apple laptop
Doreen
All sounds familiar to me. I have to do a lot click removal myself. Some of them can be tough to isolate.
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

njgorgen wrote: May 19th, 2023, 8:34 am Chap 5 - 13m44s Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/lovemydog_05_verhoeff_128kb.mp3
Thank you!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: May 19th, 2023, 8:36 am
njgorgen wrote: May 19th, 2023, 8:34 am Chap 5 - 13m44s Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/lovemydog_05_verhoeff_128kb.mp3
Thank you!
Perfect, Nancy, thank you.
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Doreen Marcotte
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Mdoreen32 wrote: June 5th, 2023, 9:03 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/lovemydog_08_verhoeff_128kb.mp3
Chapter 8 Another Stray Kitten 23:10
So sweetly read. Thank you for that. PLOK!
Mdoreen32

Post by Mdoreen32 »

Doreen Marcotte