Aspiring Voice Actor from Los Angeles!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
amyelizabethf

Post by amyelizabethf »

Hi all!

I'm excited to join the community. This is an incredible resource for many and I'm glad to be a part of it in a small way. A little about me: I'm in my late-20s, based in Los Angeles, with some training. I'm ready to continue training and practicing my skills, while pursuing paid work as well. I'm hoping to get some decent samples from volunteering on this platform.

My background is in video production so I do understand audio recording and have a very basic set up at home. I am looking for advice for keeping down or editing out background noise however. I have access to Audacity and Audition and use the Maono cardioid dynamic AU-HD300T. What I don't have is a good place to record. I've heard about recording in a closet, but any advice on how to get set up in there (are there small standing tables I could get or something like that?) for easy breakdown and set up would be amazing.

Thank you! Excited to get started.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

H there and welcome! I hope you make many awesome recordings here and it helps you in your craft!
amyelizabethf wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:45 am ... I've heard about recording in a closet, but any advice on how to get set up in there (are there small standing tables I could get or something like that?) for easy breakdown and set up would be amazing.

Thank you! Excited to get started.
I find a closet the most convenient and cheapest solution for limiting background noises. I use a small table with a hydraulic lift to raise and lower for standing and sitting. It was cheap on Amazon (~$80) and is sturdy enough for the laptop, interface and boom arm for the mic. It is on wheels and can easily move it to another room if needed. I also read off an ipad attached to a mic stand, keeping the computer on my left. I'll try attaching a pic:

~scotty

p.s. I should say that my closet is not ventilated so I make sure to only close the door while recording and take lots of breaks
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I also record in a converted closet. It's about 4.5 feet square. I got a small corner desk from Amazon for my equipment: A mic on a desktop stand with an extension arm, interface and my MacBook Air. You want a permanent setup and never move anything between recordings for consistent sound.

To be perfectly honest, that cheap Maono mic just isn't good enough for professional work. Okay for LibriVox, but if you want paid work especially in the LA market you need pro gear.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page