Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Basically this is my format to DPL:

1. Go to the MW link.
2. Download the link's audio to my PC.
3. Run the audio in Checker
4. Open the audio in mpv media player.
5. Listen to the audio with the text open [sometimes from Gutenberg, sometimes my own pdf in Okular], noting any mistakes and their time stamp in libre office.

I have had no problems with this method both in the first audio and any pick ups.

Today I came across a comment in a project. A BC was telling their proof listener to always use the MW link only because sometimes uploads to the MW could be corrupted "especially in corrections".

I'd rather listen outside of the MW because mpv media player is good at granular time points, whereas the MW link, especially in Brave browser, is awkward.

But is the comment valid: should I always use the MW link to proof listen? It's not something that I had ever thought of: corrupt uploads.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

without knowing the context, what you're doing is perfectly fine.

However, if corrections need to be made, it has happened that there are now typos in the filename for example - in these cases it's best to use the link from the MW instead what has been posted in the thread to make sure that what is in the Magic Window is indeed the final and corrected file. (Only the links that are present in the MW will be used during cataloging, it's an automated process.)

But since you're taking the file from the MW link in any case, you're fine; it does not matter at all if you're downloading the file or listening online.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I should have added as well that once I have done the first proof listen I get rid of the file from my desktop. That way it's not confused with a later uploaded file that does corrections. It wouldn't matter; I would get told by Ubuntu Linux to over ride the file on my desktop. But to be totally safe I never have multiple files with the same name.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I assume the BC meant to always use the MW link, be it listen from or download from, as opposed to using the link in the thread, as Availle said. This is both because there might be a spelling difference in the re-uploaded file itself that wasn't updated in the MW, and also because of some accidental error while copying and pasting the link, like an extra space or a missing bit. It's good to catch if a link in the magic window doesn't work.
So yes, the comment is valid.
lightcrystal wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:19 am I should have added as well that once I have done the first proof listen I get rid of the file from my desktop. That way it's not confused with a later uploaded file that does corrections. It wouldn't matter; I would get told by Ubuntu Linux to over ride the file on my desktop. But to be totally safe I never have multiple files with the same name.
Sometimes it has happened to me, that when I download to spot-PL, my cookies bring up the old file instead of the new, because of the same filename. So in that case, I try to remember to refresh the page (usually F5 on the keyboard) to bring up the new file.