[Complete] Don Sebastian, or the House of the Braganza, vol. 3 , by Anna Maria Porter - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Don Sebastian; or, The House of the Braganza: An Historical Romance, Volume 3, by Anna Maria Porter (1780 - 1832)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found in our catalog:
https://librivox.org/don-sebastian-or-the-house-of-the-braganza-an-historical-romance-volume-3-by-anna-maria-porter/

The young king Sebastian is a captive, and has agreed to accompany his Islamic master on a pilgrimage to Mecca - on condition that he'll be released three days after reaching the holy city. What his kind master does not know, is that Sebastian's sweetheart Kara Aziek will be in the same caravan... and that Sebastian intends to rescue her from the wedding that awaits at her destination! (Summary by redrun)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/donsebastianorho03port/page/n7/

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Maria_Porter (Anna Maria Porter)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1809
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Romance

Keywords that describe the book: africa, portugal, escape

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Don Sebastian; or, The House of the Braganza, Volume 3. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Don Sebastian; or, The House of the Braganza, Volume 3, by Anna Maria Porter. Chapter #."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Don Sebastian; or, The House of the Braganza: An Historical Romance, Volume 3, by Anna Maria Porter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: donsebastian3_##_porter_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. donsebastian3_01_porter_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll be BC and DPL, though we may need a volunteer to PL any chapters I read. Lynnet will be our MC.

Folks can already listen to volume 1 and volume 2.
Last edited by redrun on May 10th, 2023, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ready to go!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright, and thank you! Magic window is filled in, and we are ready for claims. I'll start us out with chapter 1. :D

I've added some very approximate word counts, but all of the chapters should fall within the usual time limits. The longest chapter in this book has 2 fewer pages than the longest in the previous book. :wink:
EssenceJAQ

Post by EssenceJAQ »

I would like to record this section .... 5V - 13 pages, ~2200 words :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

EssenceJAQ wrote: June 12th, 2023, 9:16 pm I would like to record this section .... 5V - 13 pages, ~2200 words :D
Thank you, and welcome to LibriVox! I've put that section on hold for you, while we get you all set up. :D
Before you record the chapter, we recommend doing a "1-minute test" (instructions here and in the linked wiki). It's not an audition, just a way to make sure your technical settings match with our process.

Once you've got the "OK" on your technical settings, you can post back here, and I'll get you added to the catalog system. What name would you like, for your reader page? Mine is just "redrun", but many folks use their real name, or you could choose anything else within reason.
Brunz

Post by Brunz »

I would like to record sections 2 and 3. Those sections are 45 pages and 38 pages respectively.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Brunz wrote: June 14th, 2023, 4:00 am I would like to record sections 2 and 3. Those sections are 45 pages and 38 pages respectively.
Thank you, Brunz, and welcome to LibriVox! I'll get those sections officially assigned to you shortly. What name would you like on your reader page? It'll be the name you give in your voice credit; it can be a forum handle, a real name, or anything else within reason.
Brunz

Post by Brunz »

redrun wrote: June 14th, 2023, 7:57 am
Brunz wrote: June 14th, 2023, 4:00 am I would like to record sections 2 and 3. Those sections are 45 pages and 38 pages respectively.
Thank you, Brunz, and welcome to LibriVox! I'll get those sections officially assigned to you shortly. What name would you like on your reader page? It'll be the name you give in your voice credit; it can be a forum handle, a real name, or anything else within reason.
For my handle you can use Reggie Parker
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Brunz wrote: June 14th, 2023, 8:58 am For my handle you can use Reggie Parker
Alright! Those sections are assigned to you, and you have your own reader page here: https://librivox.org/reader/18680
You can always find that page again by clicking your name in the "Magic Window" in the first post of the project. It will stay up to date with links to any other projects you've joined, and download links when they complete.

Looking forward to hearing from you! :wink:
EssenceJAQ

Post by EssenceJAQ »

1 Minute Test https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1minute_test_-librivox.mp3

You can use the name EssencebyJAQ thank you redrun
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

EssenceJAQ wrote: June 14th, 2023, 5:02 pm 1 Minute Test https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1minute_test_-librivox.mp3

You can use the name EssencebyJAQ thank you redrun
Alright, I've added you to the system! Here's your new reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/18681
You can always find that page again by clicking your name in the "Magic Window" in the first post of the project. It will stay up to date with links to any other projects you've joined, and download links when they complete.

For the 1-minute test, we usually have folks post to a dedicated forum, but I've had a listen and reviewed the specs, and everything's A-OK!

Three things to keep in mind, to make sure your chapter recording is good and usable:
1. You had one 'plosive' (a big puff of air) in 'piper', at about 11 and 1/2 seconds in. You can see where the 'plosive is in Audacity, because there's a big spike there. I find that having the mic off a bit to the side of my face helps avoid those.
2. Your volume was good, but was on the low end (86.4db, where we accept 86-92, and aim for 89). You can bump up your volume a smidge and be just fine. :wink: If you'd like to know how you can check the volume yourself, I recommend this handy tool from a LibriVox volunteer: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/#get-checker
3. The level of background noise wasn't too distracting, but there's a pretty easy tool that helps reduce it. It's optional for you, but you can find a video here if interested: https://youtu.be/rvhqw7zBmEo

Sorry for the wall of text, I tend to help perhaps too much. But I'm here if you've got questions. Looking forward to hearing more from you, too! :mrgreen:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Chapter 1 has been added to the MW, and is ready for PL!
As I can't PL my own chapters, we'll need a volunteer. I've also signed myself up for chapter 4. :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

redrun wrote: July 1st, 2023, 9:24 am Chapter 1 has been added to the MW, and is ready for PL!
As I can't PL my own chapters, we'll need a volunteer. I've also signed myself up for chapter 4. :D
I can do it, but not for a few days. If someone else wants to in the meantime, that’s fine.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 1 PL OK