Frankenstein - Abridged (Reader Needed)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ryanksager

Post by ryanksager »

Hello! I teach high school English and I've got an abridged version of Frankenstein that I'd like to get audio for. The unabridged version is a bit of a bear to get through, so I think the world at large (my students included) would benefit from a dynamic reading of this abridged work. I'm happy to make the abridgment available to all. Please reach out if this interests you. Thanks!

Ryan K. Sager
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Ryan. We can only record books that are in the public domain in the United States which currently generally means published prior to 1928.
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

To add: an abridgement probably incurred a new copyright.

What is the year of the copyright notice?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

I've deleted the email adress in the first post.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 6 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ryan,
As Jo and Tricia note, if the abridgement is under any copyright protection, we can't release a recording of it into the Public Domain. But if you can find the copyright date, and the protections are expired, then great! I'd be happy to help coordinate a reading of it, following LibriVox's usual process.

If the abridgement's copyright is not expired but you have permission to use it, or if you wrote it yourself, then you can try posting in the Off-Topic forum to see if anyone would like to read it separately from LibriVox. Any additional info you can give on the reading (number of chapters and approximate word counts) might help folks gauge the amount of work it would be, as well.

We try not to leave too much personal information (such as email addresses) around for bots to pick up, but anyone who's interested can either respond in-thread, or can send you a forum message to exchange contact details more privately.

Regards,
redrun

Edit to add: when you say "dynamic" reading, do you mean that you want different readers to perform the parts of different characters, or just that you'd like the reader to try to convey emotion and tone? The latter is an art, but the former is also a lot of extra coordination and editing. :wink: