Complete [TRAVEL]How the "Mastiffs" Went to Iceland by Anthony Trollope-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Piotrek81 wrote: April 12th, 2023, 8:25 am Btw. I'm assuming the "Mastiffs" form is supposed to be the jocular name for the people on the "Mastiff" the ship? :P That's what it looks like from the
random several lines of chapter 1 that I've just read. That would explain the discrepancy between "Mastiff" and Mastiffs".
That is correct - the travellers nicknamed themselves "the Mastiffs" :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Kaffen wrote: April 12th, 2023, 10:26 am I'll volunteer for sections 6 & 7!

I visited these places in 2019, and it will be fun to contrast Trollope's impressions of Thingvallir and the Geysers with my own (and the sketches with my photos!). :thumbs:

By the way - how did Trollope pronounce his name? Same as in the common word with no final e?
Yes - Trollope is pronounced like trollop.

I put you down for both sections!
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Thanks!
SusanNipper

Post by SusanNipper »

elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

SusanNipper wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:50 pm I've uploaded section 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mastiffsiceland_4_trollope_128kb.mp3

Duration 17:07
Thanks!
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Kaffen wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:35 pm Chapter 6 is uploaded! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mastiffsiceland_6_trollope_128kb.mp3

Duration: 20:35
Thanks!
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Chapter 7 is up! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mastiffsiceland_7_trollope_128kb.mp3
Duration 16:28

Boy, I had to pull out my pictures and review them again!

We were told that Little Strokkur was largely plugged these days, because of the habit of tourists of pitching dirt down its throat! Now I know one of the perpetrators!
On the other hand, Trollope avers he didn't see an eruption of Big Strokkur in the 24 hours they were there... my party saw several eruptions in the course of about an hour and a half. I caught a decent photo from the hill he mentions. :9:
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Kaffen wrote: April 14th, 2023, 2:37 pm Chapter 7 is up! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mastiffsiceland_7_trollope_128kb.mp3
Duration 16:28

Boy, I had to pull out my pictures and review them again!

We were told that Little Strokkur was largely plugged these days, because of the habit of tourists of pitching dirt down its throat! Now I know one of the perpetrators!
On the other hand, Trollope avers he didn't see an eruption of Big Strokkur in the 24 hours they were there... my party saw several eruptions in the course of about an hour and a half. I caught a decent photo from the hill he mentions. :9:
How interesting that tourists would pitch dirt down into it. Why would they want to do that?
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

elsieselwyn wrote: April 14th, 2023, 2:53 pm How interesting that tourists would pitch dirt down into it. Why would they want to do that?
Someone noticed that it would erupt if you chucked the dirt. What was probably happening is that it dammed up the steam vent, confining the steam until the whole mass of water in the reservoir superheated, then the boiling blew (most of) the plug out and the pressure release caused a large amount to flash instantly to more steam, and away "he" went.

Trollope complained that the water at Little Strokkur was vile and muddy - but that came from the dirt they pitched in! Nowadays the water is "pellucid and blue", just like Big Strokkur's!
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

I just noted that the final section is but 2 pages long. I'll pick that up!
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Kaffen wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:46 pm I just noted that the final section is but 2 pages long. I'll pick that up!
Thanks!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Piotrek81 wrote: April 12th, 2023, 6:31 am Section 2 is here https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mastiffsiceland_2_trollope_128kb.mp3 duration: 15:24 I used a single digit, because there are less than 10 sections. Should I re-upload with a two-digit number, as in the template?

I read a book about the history of St. Kilda a few years ago and found the place very interesting.

Can I take section 3 now?
Well read! St. Kilda sounds like such a stark place to live. I'll have to check that book out sometime. You only have 2 PL notes:

Please cut down silence at the beginning to .5-1 second of silence

at the end you say "end of Chapter 3" when it is really the end of "Chapter 2" :)
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

SusanNipper wrote: April 13th, 2023, 12:50 pm I've uploaded section 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mastiffsiceland_4_trollope_128kb.mp3

Duration 17:07
Great job! Section 4 PL OK :thumbs: