lets get some henty

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »

Keratak wrote: March 31st, 2023, 9:09 pm
ashtonhoffman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 7:08 pm when "London burned" I'm reading it now it needs to be on here

he wrote like 100 books and there only 46 on librivox
On it! I didn't see a Publish date in the Gutenberg file.
Wikipedia had 1894, so I'll use that unless someone knows better.
Keith
good :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

acamerer wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 5:23 pm Unfortunately, I get this error when trying to submit the Project Template:

"This page isn’t working right now
librivox.org can't currently handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"

Is there a common workaround to this issue?
Posted in project thread, though I may remove it once it once it's no longer needed there.
In case anyone else has the same trouble:
It seems that the template generator is a little fragile recently. There are a few common reasons for seeing this at the moment, though it should eventually be more robust:

1. Some of the fields allow numbers, but NOT any punctuation we normally use for, say, dates. Use numbers only, and no dashes, dots, or slashes.

2. Accented or international characters, such as the " 'n' with an added squiggle" used in Spanish, or letters with dots above them, trip up the generator too. Probably not the issue this time, but worth checking.

3. The author information has to match an author in the database. Since Henty is already in the database, typing "Henty" in the field for "Last Name" of author should bring him up. Click the entry for "G. A. Henty", and be sure you don't change any other fields in the author information section. Henty wrote in English, so you can 'x' out the box for translator information.

This is all from discussion in threads similar to this:
viewtopic.php?t=97319
If my suggestions don't help, feel free to follow up there with any additional information.
On the go this weekend! Will catch up Monday if I'm not able to do things on mobile. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Followup on Held Fast for England: recently completed!
https://librivox.org/held-fast-for-england-a-tale-of-the-siege-of-gibraltar-by-g-a-henty/

If anyone is raring for more Henty, I'll be happy to help coordinate. :mrgreen:
On the go this weekend! Will catch up Monday if I'm not able to do things on mobile. :wink:
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

redrun wrote: May 4th, 2024, 8:38 pm Followup on Held Fast for England: recently completed!
https://librivox.org/held-fast-for-england-a-tale-of-the-siege-of-gibraltar-by-g-a-henty/

If anyone is raring for more Henty, I'll be happy to help coordinate. :mrgreen:
I'd love to volunteer as a reader on any Henty! I was a little disappointed on seeing that 'Held Fast for England' was finished, before I had a chance to get involved :) Let me know when another one is being coordinated.
"It's snowing still. AND freezing. However", (brightening up a little), "we haven't had an earthquake lately". - Eeyore
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LuellaMargaret wrote: May 6th, 2024, 3:43 pm I'd love to volunteer as a reader on any Henty! I was a little disappointed on seeing that 'Held Fast for England' was finished, before I had a chance to get involved :) Let me know when another one is being coordinated.
Well, I have no real preference on which we do next, so long as it's one we haven't done before. I'll just be happy to be along for the ride! Is there one you'd particularly like to read for?
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

I don't know: most of the Hentys I've read are already on Librivox. I liked 'Facing Death, or, The Hero of Vaughn Pit' a lot, but if I remember correctly the characters spoke with an odd accent in that one: probably not best for my first recording attempt :) I've heard good things about 'With the British Legion' and 'Orange and Green'. I've also been reading a bunch of Haggards on the Zulu/Boer wars, so 'With Roberts to Pretoria' would be interesting. But I'd be down for anything Henty, really.
"It's snowing still. AND freezing. However", (brightening up a little), "we haven't had an earthquake lately". - Eeyore
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LuellaMargaret wrote: May 6th, 2024, 5:20 pm I've also been reading a bunch of Haggards on the Zulu/Boer wars, so 'With Roberts to Pretoria' would be interesting.
Well then, let's go for 'With Roberts to Pretoria'! I'd best not start it until next week, but I'm grabbing the chapter lengths and such, and I'll post back here when it's launched. :thumbs:
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

redrun wrote: May 6th, 2024, 5:44 pm
LuellaMargaret wrote: May 6th, 2024, 5:20 pm I've also been reading a bunch of Haggards on the Zulu/Boer wars, so 'With Roberts to Pretoria' would be interesting.
Well then, let's go for 'With Roberts to Pretoria'! I'd best not start it until next week, but I'm grabbing the chapter lengths and such, and I'll post back here when it's launched. :thumbs:
Thank you so much!