[COMPLETE] A Spray of Lilac, and Other Poems and Songs, by Marie Hedderwick-Browne - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Thebrynth

Post by Thebrynth »

I could take Section 4, "A Mother's Grief."
CrisHovey

Post by CrisHovey »

silverquill wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:30 am
CrisHovey wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:10 am “Whom the Gods Love Die Young”
A Message
“And for the Weary, Rest”
One Summer Day
A Child’s Favourite

I would like to record these please. I will have them ready and uploaded within the week.
Have you completed your one-minute test recording and had it approved?
We do strongly recommend that you do so! This is to validate your settings and technical specifications.

Also, it helps a lot if you make your claims by Section Number, so the BC doesn't have to hunt these down just by title.
I had not, but I did go ahead and post one to that thread.

Here are the sections numbers as requested. I will make sure to always add them going forward :)
32 - “Whom the Gods Love Die Young”
36 - A Message
40 - “And for the Weary, Rest”
56 - One Summer Day
60 - A Child’s Favourite
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

CrisHovey wrote: March 30th, 2023, 12:04 pm
silverquill wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:30 am
CrisHovey wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:10 am “Whom the Gods Love Die Young”
A Message
“And for the Weary, Rest”
One Summer Day
A Child’s Favourite

I would like to record these please. I will have them ready and uploaded within the week.
Have you completed your one-minute test recording and had it approved?
We do strongly recommend that you do so! This is to validate your settings and technical specifications.

Also, it helps a lot if you make your claims by Section Number, so the BC doesn't have to hunt these down just by title.
I had not, but I did go ahead and post one to that thread.

Here are the sections numbers as requested. I will make sure to always add them going forward :)
32 - “Whom the Gods Love Die Young”
36 - A Message
40 - “And for the Weary, Rest”
56 - One Summer Day
60 - A Child’s Favourite
Great!
I have listened to your test recording and left some notes for you there.

There are several technical issues to correct -- bit rate and volume -- which is why we ask for a test recording so you don't have to correct five recordings.

Very nice reading, so I'm looking forward to having you as part of this project. :D :thumbs:

Oh, and please let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym, or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of you LV work.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
CrisHovey

Post by CrisHovey »

I greatly appreciate your notes! I made adjustments and resubmitted.

I'd like to be credited as Cristina Hovey.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

CrisHovey wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:08 pm I greatly appreciate your notes! I made adjustments and resubmitted.

I'd like to be credited as Cristina Hovey.
Great!
I've given you some additional feedback.
This time your volume was too high.
I do suggest using the Checker program that I gave you the link for.

I've added you to the LibriVox catalog and assigned you the requested sections.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects, of which I hope there will be many!

Delighted to have you on board. :D

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap: :clap:
~ Larry
meganrae

Post by meganrae »

RileyH

Post by RileyH »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

meganrae wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:51 am Here is "Unsatisfied." Thanks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sprayoflilac_6_hedderwickbrowne_128kb.mp3

file length: 1:15
Thank you for your recording, Megan.
There are several technical issues, however, that need attention.

1) The volume is too high at 95.3 decibels. Our target is just 89 dBs with an acceptable range of 86-92 dBs. You can use the Amplify feature under the Effects menu in Audacity to adjust this by -6 , but you should also experiment with your set up so that your raw recording is closer to the desired 89 dBs. Try decreasing your audio input gain.

2). The file name is incorrect. We do need the leading zero, sprayoflilac_06_ just as given in the example.

3) Since the intro begins with the name of the poem, it does not need to be repeated again, so please cut that second title.

4). There is a huge amount of undesirable reverb in your recording -- the hollow room, or in-a-barrel sound. I hear this frequently if a built-in mike is being used, or if the mike is too far away -- or if you really are in an empty room without much sound absorption material. You don't need to re-record this, but if you really want to venture into audio recording, as you indicated, then you will want to work on this. I will be glad to give you some suggestions if you can describe your microphone and recording set up. You can also find a lot of good videos and tutorials on treating your recording environment to get the best quality audio.

So, please adjust the volume, delete, the extra title, and upload again with the correct file name. Post the link and new file length here again so I can give it a quick check.

Your reading is quite good, so once you have these little tech things in hand, you'll be doing just fine! :)

Oh, here is a link to a little program that you can use to check all of your specs including the volume. Just drag your file into the window provided and you'll get a report.

Checker https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

All the best,
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RileyH wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:23 pm Hello,

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sprayoflilac_28_hedderwickbrowne_128kb.mp3 1:2.07

thanks,
Riley
Thanks for another fine reading!
PL OK
~ Larry
meganrae

Post by meganrae »

Thanks so much for the feedback and Checker link. I will redo this recording as well as the recording of "In Summer Time" that I had previously submitted. My recording set-up is in a fairly open room. I have my microphone in a box to try to mitigate some of the echoing. It helps a little, but the echo is still noticeable. I also have a blanket tacked to the wall behind my recording set-up.

--Megan Rae
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recording, Megan.
There are several technical issues, however, that need attention.

1) The volume is too high at 95.3 decibels. Our target is just 89 dBs with an acceptable range of 86-92 dBs. You can use the Amplify feature under the Effects menu in Audacity to adjust this by -6 , but you should also experiment with your set up so that your raw recording is closer to the desired 89 dBs. Try decreasing your audio input gain.

2). The file name is incorrect. We do need the leading zero, sprayoflilac_06_ just as given in the example.

3) Since the intro begins with the name of the poem, it does not need to be repeated again, so please cut that second title.

4). There is a huge amount of undesirable reverb in your recording -- the hollow room, or in-a-barrel sound. I hear this frequently if a built-in mike is being used, or if the mike is too far away -- or if you really are in an empty room without much sound absorption material. You don't need to re-record this, but if you really want to venture into audio recording, as you indicated, then you will want to work on this. I will be glad to give you some suggestions if you can describe your microphone and recording set up. You can also find a lot of good videos and tutorials on treating your recording environment to get the best quality audio.

So, please adjust the volume, delete, the extra title, and upload again with the correct file name. Post the link and new file length here again so I can give it a quick check.

Your reading is quite good, so once you have these little tech things in hand, you'll be doing just fine! :)

Oh, here is a link to a little program that you can use to check all of your specs including the volume. Just drag your file into the window provided and you'll get a report.

Checker https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

All the best,
[/quote]
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

meganrae wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:15 am Thanks so much for the feedback and Checker link. I will redo this recording as well as the recording of "In Summer Time" that I had previously submitted. My recording set-up is in a fairly open room. I have my microphone in a box to try to mitigate some of the echoing. It helps a little, but the echo is still noticeable. I also have a blanket tacked to the wall behind my recording set-up.

--Megan Rae
Ah! Well, no need to re-record, but if you feel you would like to, that's okay.

I did the microphone box thing for quite awhile. :roll:

Doesn't really help much, as you say. But, my main problem was that I was then too far away from the microphone. So, I did two simple things that made a world of difference. Since I didn't really record at a desk or table, I got an inexpensive mike stand so that I could easily have it close, and also eliminated some noise since it was isolated. Then, I did exactly what you've done by hanging a couple of blankets behind my set-up. It's not perfect, but it is better than when I was several feet away from the microphone.

Most of us have some sort of make-shift arrangement, and we just do the best we can which is all we ask or expect. So don't be stressed by it, but if you can play around with it that in itself is kind of fun I think. :wink:

I appreciate your being there and participating in the LibriVox experience! Stick with it!
~ Larry
Angela03

Post by Angela03 »

silverquill wrote: March 29th, 2023, 11:05 am
Thank you!
But, let's try again.

At the beginning: No more than ONE SECOND. These are all 1 1/2 second.
At the end: About FIVE SECONDS. These are now just down to a little over one second.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but once you get used to it, adjusting these silences will become routine.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sprayoflilac_66_hedderwickbrowne_128kb.mp3
(1:12)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sprayoflilac_67_hedderwickbrowne_128kb.mp3
(1:12)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sprayoflilac_68_hedderwickbrowne_128kb.mp3
(1:10)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sprayoflilac_70_hedderwickbrowne_128kb.mp3
(1:26)

Here!! I edited them again <33
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Can I do 'The Time the Place, the Beloved'(53), 'Day-Dreams'(54), and 'Song of the Seasons'(55)? Thanks
Thebrynth

Post by Thebrynth »

Hi! I thought I posted this a few days ago but I don't see it now. I can take Section 4, "A Mother's Grief."
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry