silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Both 34 and 35 are PL OK :thumbs:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

silverquill wrote: April 1st, 2023, 5:47 pm I've got all the sections that are Ready for PL, except mine, downloaded and ready to listen to.
Looking forward to it. :D
Thanks for helping out, Larry! You now have access to the MW.

Michael
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

VOWinch wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:49 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/outline_3_Gowen_128kb.mp3

18:17
all feedback welcome!
Brilliant reading! You have a great recording voice.

I do note that there is clipping on this audio file. I suspect that your input gain was set too high and you had to do a severe amplification down. It is still right at the upper end of our range. Other than that, there are no changes to be made, unless you want to bring it down closer to our target of 89 decibels. Otherwise, Michael can make the changes to the file name on the back end.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

VOWinch wrote: March 30th, 2023, 12:41 pm Here comes chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/outline_02_gowen_128kb.mp3 17:01.5

Thanks Sean!
Another great recording with the same comments as for Section 3.
This one, however, tips just above our upper volume range of 86-92, coming in at 92.1, so it really should come done a bit. Our target is 89 dBs.

Your pronunciation for the most part is pretty good. One place you might consider a change, though always optional, is in citing the five vowels - a, i, u, e, o They are "a" as it "father" "i" as in "wee" "u" as in "due" and "o" as in "note." This gives Japanese its distinctive cadence with consonant-vowel syllables, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, etc. And then is the basis for the phonetic syllabic script of the hiragana and katakana. And it is definitely not related either to Chinese or Korean. I would also just mention that Ryukyu is just two syllables. So are Kyoto, Tokyo, and Kyushu. Anyway, this is just discussion.

So, maybe make a volume adjustment on these, but otherwise PL OK as I shall mark them.
Again, excellent reading throughout! I hope we will hear a lot more of your voice here on LibriVox!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

loldham wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:37 am Here is chapter 24. Ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/outline_24_gowen_128kb.mp3
Length 40:31
Another amazing recording voice!
Good handling of the Japanese as well. :)

There is one technical issue that you need to correct, however.
The sampling rate is 48,000 Herz and it must be 44,100 Hz

If you are using Audacity, at the bottom of the window there is a drop-down menu for "Project Rate (Hz) where you can select 44,000. Then you can export the file and you should be good. Then upload the new file under the same name and post the link here again so I can give it a quick check.

Let us hear a lot more of your voice here on LibriVox!
~ Larry
czandra

Post by czandra »

I will PL yours, Larry.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
loldham

Post by loldham »

silverquill wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 1:17 am

Drat! Sorry I forgot that part. I have uploaded it with the new sample rate. Same file name so I hope it overwrites.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thanks for your help Larry! Now that were all caught up I can continue, and if czandra would like to PL Larry's that's awesome :9:

Thanks everyone and nice work so far with this project!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

loldham wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 8:14 am
silverquill wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 1:17 am

Drat! Sorry I forgot that part. I have uploaded it with the new sample rate. Same file name so I hope it overwrites.
Aggravating tech stuff. :mrgreen:
This is perfect now, and marked PL OK

Looking forward to hearing more of you here on LibriVox. :!: :!:
~ Larry
VOWinch

Post by VOWinch »

silverquill wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 12:57 am
VOWinch wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:49 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/outline_3_Gowen_128kb.mp3

all feedback welcome!

I do note that there is clipping on this audio file. I suspect that your input gain was set too high and you had to do a severe amplification down. It is still right at the upper end of our range. Other than that, there are no changes to be made, unless you want to bring it down closer to our target of 89 decibels. Otherwise, Michael can make the changes to the file name on the back end.
Thanks for the input and compliment Larry, I do appreciate them and hope to improve here and read some more! I will make the changes in the volumes! I have copied your comment on pronunciation to save for later as for a lot of it i was shooting in the dark! Thanks again!

Sean
VOWinch

Post by VOWinch »

silverquill wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 12:57 am

all feedback welcome!

Let me know if its not ok to add questions here or if i should take this to another forum since im pretty new here! Did you mean my noisefloor needed to come up above -89decibels? I initially had some volume issues but they were too quiet. So i had to actually amplify then random normalize and put in a hard limiter. I think i have since fixed the problems, I bought a cloudlifter CL-1 mic activator since i dont think my U-phoria UMC202HD was giving enough power to my higher end mic (RE20). Now volume is much better i just loudness normalize to an RMS of -20 and put a hard limiter on after (no amplify needed). Any tips or tricks are helpful as im learning about using this DAW software stuff!

Sean
VOWinch

Post by VOWinch »

Let me know if its not ok to add questions here or if i should take this to another forum since im pretty new here! Did you mean my noisefloor needed to come up above -89decibels? I initially had some volume issues but they were too quiet. So i had to actually amplify then random normalize and put in a hard limiter. I think i have since fixed the problems, I bought a cloudlifter CL-1 mic activator since i dont think my U-phoria UMC202HD was giving enough power to my higher end mic (RE20). Now volume is much better i just loudness normalize to an RMS of -20 and put a hard limiter on after (no amplify needed). Any tips or tricks are helpful as im learning about using this DAW software stuff!

Sean
[/quote]

I answered my own question just saw that there is a step i was missing....to check playback volume!! lol ill check this and get back to you with questions....
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

VOWinch wrote: April 6th, 2023, 11:50 pm I answered my own question just saw that there is a step i was missing....to check playback volume!! lol ill check this and get back to you with questions....
I'm not sure I understand, but a couple of general observations... If the clipping occurs during the recording, you can reduce the recording level. If the clipping occurs when you amplify your track after recording, you can apply dynamic range compression before the amplification. If you're looking for expert help, I recommend asking in the forum Need Help? Got Advice?. There's a special thread for Audacity question, if you're using that.

Michael
mildmeme

Post by mildmeme »

mildmeme

Post by mildmeme »

mildmeme wrote: April 8th, 2023, 3:12 am Chapter 11 is ready for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/outline_11_gowen_128kb.mp3
Oops, let me try that again! Chapter 11 ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/outline_11_gowen_128kb.mp3