Audio equipment for 2023

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
daisycampion

Post by daisycampion »

Hello all :9:

I bought the Snowball Ice, on the advice of a wonderful user here, about a year and a bit ago. I keep the mic 6 inches from my face and at a slight angle so there aren't a load of plosives. I recorded a chapter of a book a while ago but now I can't seem to keep me or the mic still enough for consistent volume, and when I try the various effects it makes the audio go all weird. Am I making an obvious mistake here?

Secondly, I have several different pairs of extremely cheap earphones and no over-ear headphones. I want to know if this is an absolute no-no or if this is actually fine, as the microphone matters much more than the headphones.

So if both or either of these are because of kit, could I ask for soome advice on listening and speaking equipment to improve the situation? I don't like spending ages editing these days, so I don't mind investing in good equipment if it will reduce the time I have to spend editing.

All the best :D

Daisy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know about the mic situation.

Regarding headphones: it depends on how picky you are. Some people will not edit without high-quality headphones. Me? I don't use any at all. I use my laptop speakers to edit. *shrug* (Sometimes I use cheap earbuds.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Hi! Although I am not familiar with your mic, if it is a USB mic then the gain will be set by the computer so it may be possible that an auto gain setting is on. Is there a way you can verify in your recording software that gain is manually set? Just a guess.

As for headphones, it probably doesn't matter too much. The only thing with earbuds or small speakers is that they may not reproduce low frequencies making it difficult to detect noise in this region, like bumps to the mic or mic stand. Of course processing the audio with a high pass filter would take care of that anyway. Also, if you monitor while recording then you just want to make sure they don't leak feedback into the recording, but using buds or closed back headphones should be fine.

Hope that helps
~scot
daisycampion

Post by daisycampion »

TriciaG wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:33 am I don't know about the mic situation.

Regarding headphones: it depends on how picky you are. Some people will not edit without high-quality headphones. Me? I don't use any at all. I use my laptop speakers to edit. *shrug* (Sometimes I use cheap earbuds.)
Okay, that's actually a relief. Thank you 😊🙏
daisycampion

Post by daisycampion »

Okay, thankyou. So I'll check that it isn't set to autogain and if it is I'll change it to manual. I'll keep using my speakers and ear buds to listen and I'll use a high pass filter for low frequency noise removal.

Definitely helps.

Any more related issues I'll post here.

- Daisy
iBeScotty wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:16 am Hi! Although I am not familiar with your mic, if it is a USB mic then the gain will be set by the computer so it may be possible that an auto gain setting is on. Is there a way you can verify in your recording software that gain is manually set? Just a guess.

As for headphones, it probably doesn't matter too much. The only thing with earbuds or small speakers is that they may not reproduce low frequencies making it difficult to detect noise in this region, like bumps to the mic or mic stand. Of course processing the audio with a high pass filter would take care of that anyway. Also, if you monitor while recording then you just want to make sure they don't leak feedback into the recording, but using buds or closed back headphones should be fine.

Hope that helps
~scot
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

How is you mike mounted? Table top? Mike stand? Suspended? On a chair?
The thing that helped me the most was getting a cheap mike stand so I could adjust the position and keep it at a fairly consistent distance. It came with a pop filter, so I use it, though for me it doesn't seem necessary. This also cut way down on the reverb. Some variation in volume isn't a big issue. I find the even if I edit and record a patch in the same session, it is often difficult to get a good match.

I do use a good pair of studio headphones for editing and for most of my PL work, although I have a decent pair of blue tooth ear buds for more casual PL work. This is partly just to help me concentrate. I find follow the waveform almost more value that audio quality headphones or speaker to help in editing. After awhile one gets as familiar with one's waveform as the sound of one's voice. :roll:
~ Larry
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

IMHO good quality headphone are essential for effective proofing.

However these need not be expensive.

I have used the following model for years and found that they are both comfortable and provide excellent audio quality

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Portable-Headphones-Headset-Samsung/dp/B011TNK6V4/ref=sr_1_11

Also these are low-impendance headphones which means they can also be used for portable devices like cell phones and tablets.
Last edited by Algy Pug on September 15th, 2023, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by loriefleming »

Thanks for this! Total newbie to LV here, this is my first post and I’m just trying to learn and get setup before I do my first short recording, and I needed headphones, so now I’ve ordered them - thanks! 😎